Henry Campau
United States
Mt Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a chance to play 1856 this weekend. It was a 5 player game. Wes started the LPS with the tunnel company. Len started the GW with the Shipping company. Doug started the CV with the FLOS and the Waterloo. Ken had the Bridge company, and I believe Grand Trunk. I ended up with the Canada avoiding a bidding war with for the Shipping. I can’t recall every move made, but just wanted to spell out a few moments.

As Len bid quite high for the Shipping company, he only bought three shares of GW. And didn’t have much money left over. As I got handed the Canada, I had enough to buy three shares this turn and one more after receiving private company income in the upcoming OR. So I bought three shares of GW. I like GW as a starting company. So I took it over in the next stock round. Len waited a round before dumping my stock and he started CA. It was a knife fight in the Southwest part of the map for sure!

But when he tanked my stock three levels, everyone else had money to pick it up on the cheap and before you knew it, it was fully owned and rising. I eventually caught up in the turn order, but I was able to get a three train earlier because of being behind in turn order. Once the green tiles came out, I was able to push out toward my destination and get my escrowed money and get another train. I was making good money with two threes and a two. I had bought in the Canada and got more stocks.

Wes was doing well with LPS. Len used the port well with the CA finally. Doug was going to get Toronto upgraded as soon as he could. Ken was making as much money as he could in the Northeast until he could reach his destination. Loans were taken. As my GW was originally tanked, I had been taking loans figuring I would let it go to the Government and ride another railroad later. Well, later was upon us.

The fours had come out and now I was only left with two threes and everyone else had a three and four. So I wasn’t doing so well. The first five was bought and the all important 6 was looming with the CGR formation coming. I sold off some other stocks to raise enough to par the BBG at 100. Someone else invested 100, so I had 700 starting treasury in the BBG. But everyone else was starting their second company as well. There was going to be a huge train rush coming.

Here is where I got greedy. Everyone figured I would buy one of the fives and then someone else would get the other remaining five and then the six would be up for sale. But, I wanted the five AND the six!. I had a lot of money in the GW, so I figured I would take a loan out there and a loan out for BBG and have enough ($1250) to buy a five and a six. So I bought one of the threes from GW for a buck. Let someone else buy the next 5T. I had my GW buy the 3T back for all but $1 of the treasury (after taking another loan). However, someone else did the same shuffling thing to try to get a 6T. So, I had to either wait another OR , or just pull the trigger and buy a 5T. And my stock price was going in reverse fast! Then with the loan interest I was having to pay on both companies, I was JUST short of the $1250 I needed. I gave up, bought the 5T and someone else bought the 6T, formed the CGR, and it was off to the races.

I was eventually able to scrape enough together to trade in that 5T for the first Diesel, but my stock price was junk at that point compared to others. Wes had kept his LPS clean and its price was higher than the CGR. I had kept four shares of that fortunately. The CGR started at $110 I believe. But I did manage to run my diesel from the Northeast through Toronto and all the way down to the Southwest for $49/share. But then they tokened that out real quick. The bank quickly broke and Wes was pleased with his win. His stock was like 300 or 350. I came in third or fourth, but Oh, if I could have jumped in right away with two permanents, that would have been sweet. I should have just bought the one 5T and kept moving forward. Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
In 1856, the

"Importance of dividends" / "Importance of stock price"

ratio is much higher than in 1830.

This is clear if you look at how large the stock price jumps are at the top of the stock price table in one game compared with the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice Henry!

Glad you got to play and that someone has a copy!

Next time you guys pull this out, you might think about the optional train rule. It is something like 8's replace the Diesels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly dislike the 8Ts. They make the 5s obviously the best, rather than there being meaningful decisions to make about trains, and are actually slower to run than a diesel.

Eric Brosius wrote:
In 1856, the

"Importance of dividends" / "Importance of stock price"

ratio is much higher than in 1830.

This is clear if you look at how large the stock price jumps are at the top of the stock price table in one game compared with the other.

Only for companies that don't go into the government. It also should be pointed out that each space is $25, with no step-size-increase, so holding once is worth a flat $50/share, roughly.

Counting stock spaces, I think the game here went a full set longer after the 5s broke than I'd expect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.