Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this game for a song, less than $10 unpunched. I'm currently selling/trading it, but I REALLY want to keep it (art art art!). However, I've heard it has issues with players not having enough information to make strategic decisions and/or it just becomes random.

Anyone played any variant rules to fix this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jürgen Mayer
Germany
Nuremberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you decide to give it a try, I suggest using the advanced drafting rules. This way, all draft picks are made in the open. As far as determining tactics during the ninja phase, be sure put the spies and scouts to good use to find out who's on your side or not and play accordingly.

This game won't be fun with perfect strategic information. There are some ways to gain some information through spies/scouts and observation (weapon placement, knowing what kind of cards someone has picked, etc.), but the fun comes from guessing what the other players might be doing based on incomplete information and trying to outwit them, and then seeing if you made the right guesses and decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MadMoses wrote:
If you decide to give it a try, I suggest using the advanced drafting rules. This way, all draft picks are made in the open. As far as determining tactics during the ninja phase, be sure put the spies and scouts to good use to find out who's on your side or not and play accordingly.

This game won't be fun with perfect strategic information. There are some ways to gain some information through spies/scouts and observation (weapon placement, knowing what kind of cards someone has picked, etc.), but the fun comes from guessing what the other players might be doing based on incomplete information and trying to outwit them, and then seeing if you made the right guesses and decisions.

Thanks for the response. The game look so beautiful. I'll give your advanced drafting a shot.

Is there a way to play 2P without loosing the feel of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jürgen Mayer
Germany
Nuremberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can just use the three player rules for a two player game. 3+ players will be way more fun though.

A thing you could try if you're not satisfied with using the 3-player rules as written for a two player game is: put out two additional cards per draft round (i.e. 6 instead of 4 and draft single cards instead of 1-2-1), so each player ends up with 15 cards instead of 10, and then play 3 contracts instead of 2. This might cause more opposition on the board. (I haven't playtested this.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.