11 Posts

Rising Sun» Forums » General

Subject: Map size rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrik Ptošek
msg tools
Hello everyone
is that just be, or map looks really small? I mean, if there is posibility to conquere land from someone, isnt that 8 provincies is just too small amount?

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I trust Eric M. Lang...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Buckey
United States
Concord Twp
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
I think I trust Eric M. Lang...

Eric who? (I'm kidding, I'm kidding).

I'm going to trust the designer on this one too. From the game play video on the KS it looked like the board size was just right, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Geery
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cruor wrote:
Hello everyone
is that just be, or map looks really small? I mean, if there is posibility to conquere land from someone, isnt that 8 provincies is just too small amount?

What do you think?

For three seasons each ending in resolving conflicts in only a handful of provinces? No, eight seems like a good number even at minimum and maximum player counts.

Movement may prove tricky and having areas of the map sit dormant or uncontested to boost map size seems like a pointless addition to the game. Having just slightly more than the bare minimum number of provinces guarantees conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
The map is bigger than Blood Rage's.

The (monster, esp Oni) minis though look HUGE!!! wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
The map is bigger than Blood Rage's.

The (monster, esp Oni) minis though look HUGE!!! wow

I'm pretty sure he meant number of territories to maneuver in, rather than physical size (scale) of the board ... though both *could* be concerns.

Cruor wrote:
Hello everyone

What do you think?

I suspect it's pretty close to right. Keep in mind that you really aren't conquering territory, in the wargame sense of the word -- you are vying for control of territories. With eight territories to compete for, you want to have enough that each player feels as though they can successfully compete for at least one (or two), but few enough that players actually have to compete, rather than staking uncontested claims. Even 'home territories' will be hotly contested. And even if you 'win' a territory during one season, it's likely to be just as much up for grabs next season, too.

If you've played Blood Rage, you'll have some level of appreciation for this. While the game play is fairly different, the core area control balance is similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
Well in Blood Rage you start with (max) 5 players on 9 provinces.
In age II it's 5 on 8 provinces and in the last age it's 5 players on only 7 provinces.

Rising Sun is a bit similar. You play with 3-6 players on 8 provinces.
With 5 players it's about the same as the average in BR. Only with 6 it's more crowded; with 3-4 it's actually less crowded.

So if BR felt about right, so should RS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be worth tacking this on: for purposes of the Harvest mandate (and benefits thereof), you have a competition for all eight provinces, but battles are only scored in N+1 provinces, where N is the number of players.

I'll have to see how the player count scaling works to have a good feel for it, but I imagine that:
a) In high player-count games, all eight provinces are more or less similarly important, since all eight matter for both harvest and battles. Players need to try to dominate their 'fair share' of provinces, both for income and for battle victory points.
b) In low player-count games, some provinces are more valuable than others, due to lower number of battles. Gaining harvestable provinces has an appeal, but spreading your forces too thin to control provinces without battles might cost you battles, so there's a definite tradeoff.

I'd love to see an independent game play video, or better yet a couple with different player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Paltrineri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the number of territories looks small, but Blood Rage didn't have very many either and that one seemed to work out okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ah kaiser
Canada
Woodstock
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the tighter board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd really enjoy a scythe like board expansion. I love the extra board, when the table allows.

*edit*

Actually after seeing how huge the map was on the GAMA stream I think I'm fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.