Subject: Rising Sun is fools gold rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nick hansel
United States
Eldridge
Iowa
flag msg tools

Last week I tried to caution the CMON fan club of the hype for Rising Sun.

1. The video is terrible, which is a forecast for us to gauge the quality of this game. Out of 30+ minutes the only thing that sticks out is one betrayal interaction. CMON should take down the video because it's very underwhelming.

2. The follow the leader mechanic in a combat game doesn't work- maybe for Puerto Rico a resource management game or Pandemic a cooperative game. Combat games need maximum variety and Rising Sun forces the alliance mechanic and will be a draw back.

3. The combat mechanic is similar to Scythe- we are expecting innovation in mechanics and sleak mechanic collaboration. Rising Sun is a slow combat game- which will hurt it's replayability.

4. The only new element is the tea party which only use is for establishing a honor alignment for breaking ties and opening a few additional recruiting items.

5. Erik Lang is trying to make Blood Rage 2- he's all but admitted to it in several interviews. Rising Sun uses Marshall instead of March, Recruit instead of invade, beautiful miniatures, I could go on and on.

Instead of making a "spiritual successor" to Blood Rage. Erik should have made Blood Rage expansions or further explored the Blood Rage universe. As a result, we will have a beautiful game that become a rarely played game a year after its release.

Sorry but the hype is blinding the gaming community- N

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not sorry, and don't pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Podsiadło
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future."

~Niels Bohr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. I am touched by your unwavering concern for members of the "CMON fan club". I mean, you tried to warn them once *last week* already. Whew! You care so hard, bro.

Thanks again for warning us poor souls. Thanks to you we can finally make an informed decision. This wasn't possible until now, because we were "blinded by the hype". But thankfully you came around and your amazingly compelling arguments will surely put a stop to all this nonsense.

Good day kind Sir. God bless.

(*wipes tear*)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
erik weber
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I liked the video, it was stil intriguing despite it's flaws, and the full gameplay that came out is much much better

2. They already made an article explaining how you can do better solo by taking options away from your oponents and forcing them to fight each other or just lose the area they want to go for to their ally without being able to fight back

3. The combat mechanic is not like scythe's, you can bluff, negotiate, go for unexpected options, using your money how you wish and trying to predict your opponents

4. Nobody was expecting new mechanisms and innovations from this, people were expecting a streamlined diplomacy-like game in feudal japan, with creatures, betrayal and war, and they got that.

5. You said it yourself, Eric Lang has said that this is a spiritual successor to blood rage, it's different, with diplomacy, negotiations, betrayals and whatnot, but it's the same people who made Blood Rage, I don't know what you're trying to get at with this point.

I don't think Blood Rage needs expansions, and it will be played by whoever wants to play it, besides being a dudes on a map game it has almost nothing else to do with Rising Sun

Sorry, but you think the hype is blinding the community for no credible reason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Bean
msg tools
“Thank God this stranger on the internet warned me that this game that isn’t even out yet will be terrible. Now I can cancel my order and get my money back.” ~Said no one ever
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your premise is false : this is not a combat game. This is a euro with area majority, negociation, and diplomacy. The Tea Ceremony is only a small part of it, battle resolution is a whole other negociation phase. If you're looking for combat... this is indeed not the game for you.

It might not suit everyone's tastes, but I see a lot more potential in this game from what we've gathered so far than in Blood Rage or Scythe (which I don't care for, though I acknowledge their slick design). Your mileage may vary - I can only speak for myself, and my gaming groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanti Massey
msg tools
Gotocard11 wrote:

1. The video is terrible, which is a forecast for us to gauge the quality of this game. Out of 30+ minutes the only thing that sticks out is one betrayal interaction. CMON should take down the video because it's very underwhelming.

2. The follow the leader mechanic in a combat game doesn't work- maybe for Puerto Rico a resource management game or Pandemic a cooperative game. Combat games need maximum variety and Rising Sun forces the alliance mechanic and will be a draw back.

3. The combat mechanic is similar to Scythe- we are expecting innovation in mechanics and sleak mechanic collaboration. Rising Sun is a slow combat game- which will hurt it's replayability.

4. The only new element is the tea party which only use is for establishing a honor alignment for breaking ties and opening a few additional recruiting items.

5. Erik Lang is trying to make Blood Rage 2- he's all but admitted to it in several interviews. Rising Sun uses Marshall instead of March, Recruit instead of invade, beautiful miniatures, I could go on and on.

Instead of making a "spiritual successor" to Blood Rage. Erik should have made Blood Rage expansions or further explored the Blood Rage universe. As a result, we will have a beautiful game that become a rarely played game a year after its release.

I flatly refuse to see your perspective. Hence it must not exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of their videos are crappy. The video for Dogs of War was even worse. And that's one of my favorite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's Eric with a c.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The initial video was terrible. The 'full' video wasn't spectacular, but by ignoring what felt to me to be canned interactions between actors (though I could be wrong about that), I felt I was able to get a better feel for how the game actually worked. And I ended up with a favorable impression. I'm not sure that this will en up being a *fantasic* game, but I think it may well be a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, do I trust Nick Hansel or Eric Lang on whether the game design is good. Let me think a moment...

I'm going to go with Eric. Sorry, Nick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
By the way, Nick, stop trolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm sure it won't be the worst game I've ever bought.

Also, all board game videos are terrible as far as I'm concerned, because I hate watching other people play a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And to think, without you to tell me how I should feel about this game, I was going to use things like my own gaming background and personal likes and dislikes to make an informed decision by combining those with available information such as the gameplay video and rulebook to decide whether or not Rising Sun is for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me thinks monsieur Hansel has an agenda of sorts.

The hype, the mini's, and blood rage's past success will set us up for a huge let down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotocard11 wrote:
2. The follow the leader mechanic in a combat game doesn't work- maybe for Puerto Rico a resource management game or Pandemic a cooperative game.
Perhaps you are unfamiliar with a game called Twilight Imperium (Third Edition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
Brea
California
flag msg tools
badge
pew pew pew
mbmbmbmbmb
The video is terrible, but the Blood Rage KS video was equally terrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Justice
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't afford it can you? Aesop tells some great fables, there is one about a fox and some grapes I think might be of some help to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, when you say you "tried to warn us" last week, what you really mean is three days ago. That thread is literally just a few topics below this one on the forum. Was another thread with the exact same message really necessary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Paltrineri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand the point of this post. If you don't think a game looks good, don't back it. Why try to ruin it for others? I guess if the game isn't great, you can say "I told you so" and that will make you feel good about yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Savestheday wrote:
The video is terrible, but the Blood Rage KS video was equally terrible.

The Blood Rage video was not equally terrible. It was many orders of magnitude more terrible than the Rising Sun video.

I thought the Rising Sun video was actually a decent improvement for CMoN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stopped reading at "CMON fan club of the hype".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brock
United States
Killeen
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Gotocard11 wrote:

1. That's an opinion

2. Another opinion.

3 & 4. No, we're not expecting innovation at every turn. Are you going to start criticizing deck building games for copying Dominion now? Out of all the creative fields, boardgame design has to be the most open about being derivative. This isn't remotely a fault.

5. What a travesty? How dare a game be made as a spiritual successor and how dare the designer say so! No games can be like other games at all!

Sounds like a bunch of opinions based on nothing at all. Let me know when you have something other than "Me no like Rising Sun"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Original post seems like from someone who is trying to vehemently convince themselves not to back it. It's classic psychology to try to convince oneself (and get approval of others) of something being bad just to make it easier and more justified and more right.

Much like the opposite is true: Kickstarter backers often vehemently defend games they've 'invested in' for a year or more.

I think Rising Sun will be good. As for the original poster, you won't stop thousands from supporting and very likely enjoying it in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.