Recommend
10 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Impulse» Forums » News

Subject: Kickstarter coming March 23rd for English second edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben G
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
New English edition of the Polish Czacha Games updated artwork edition coming to Kickstarter on the 23rd.

https://www.facebook.com/czachagame/posts/1439054709727167

A little more information here as well:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1479478/impulse-fan-redesig...
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Fuentes
United States
Hialeah
FL
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aw yeah!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogers
Mexico
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks great! Anyone know what the ships look like in this one?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Eye wrote:
This looks great! Anyone know what the ships look like in this one?

Ship shape/material is not yet decided. What would be cool for you? Plastic? Same as in original edition? Maybe wooden, "flat" ships? Or maybe cone-like wood?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the design of the ships in the 1st edition, the overall visual design is really nice. I like the fact the new edition has a similar retro scifi design. I think the same ships would work really well.

I'm almost certainly not going to back your Kickstarter as I recently bought the old edition and haven't played it enough to know whether it's worth me getting expansions. I want the expansions to exist, and I may buy the new edition + expansions at some point so good luck with the project, I hope it's successful & sells well enough that it's available retail in future.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
misioooo wrote:
The Eye wrote:
This looks great! Anyone know what the ships look like in this one?

Ship shape/material is not yet decided. What would be cool for you? Plastic? Same as in original edition? Maybe wooden, "flat" ships? Or maybe cone-like wood?


I want cardboard ships with art on both sides that make it clear whether it is a cruiser or a transport.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Solid idea. Wood would also be good for me. The original plastic felt sort of junky to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Kickstarter likely to reveal any more information about the expansion?

I looked at this thread and, while there was a lot of excitement, I didn't see much information about what the expansion really adds.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogers
Mexico
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
misioooo wrote:
The Eye wrote:
This looks great! Anyone know what the ships look like in this one?

Ship shape/material is not yet decided. What would be cool for you? Plastic? Same as in original edition? Maybe wooden, "flat" ships? Or maybe cone-like wood?


A two-sided token, with cruiser on one side and transport on the other would be my preference. Instead of having to remember that a standing rocket was a transport, and a laying rocket was a cruiser, a little picture (even somewhat abstract, would be very clear. As others have said, wood would be great!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No wooden ships. This is a space game. Same ships but in clear, colored plastic.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogers
Mexico
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Frantic Ferret wrote:
No wooden ships. This is a space game.


shake

The utility of a disc that I could flip to show one type of ship, flip to show the other, and stack to easily manage my fleet vastly outweighs the cool factor of sculpted minis... and the ships that came with the game are barely even that.

But!

My only real issue with the ships that come with the game currently is that they don't stack, so they make a real mess as you try to add more, move them around, and keep track of which are where. Stackable tokens generally means flat, and since the ships need to be useable as either cruisers or transports, having cruisers on one side and transports on the other just makes sense to me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Eye wrote:
Frantic Ferret wrote:
No wooden ships. This is a space game.


shake

The utility of a disc that I could flip to show one type of ship, flip to show the other, and stack to easily manage my fleet vastly outweighs the cool factor of sculpted minis... and the ships that came with the game are barely even that.

But!

My only real issue with the ships that come with the game currently is that they don't stack, so they make a real mess as you try to add more, move them around, and keep track of which are where. Stackable tokens generally means flat, and since the ships need to be useable as either cruisers or transports, having cruisers on one side and transports on the other just makes sense to me.


There is one kind of ships, that stacks perfectly
Spoiler (click to reveal)

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Eye wrote:

My only real issue with the ships that come with the game currently is that they don't stack, so they make a real mess as you try to add more, move them around, and keep track of which are where. Stackable tokens generally means flat, and since the ships need to be useable as either cruisers or transports, having cruisers on one side and transports on the other just makes sense to me.


I respectfully disagree. With the current minis I can get a quick feel for the distribution of the cruisers vs. transports for each player. I don't think a stack of tokens would convey the information as quickly. I'm usually neutral on miniatures over counters, but in this game I think that the minis work better.

rafal100 wrote:


There is one kind of ships, that stacks perfectly


Bravo! I should have thought of that since the Impulse sits next to Cosmic Encounter on my shelf.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogers
Mexico
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rafal100 wrote:
The Eye wrote:
Frantic Ferret wrote:
No wooden ships. This is a space game.


shake

The utility of a disc that I could flip to show one type of ship, flip to show the other, and stack to easily manage my fleet vastly outweighs the cool factor of sculpted minis... and the ships that came with the game are barely even that.

But!

My only real issue with the ships that come with the game currently is that they don't stack, so they make a real mess as you try to add more, move them around, and keep track of which are where. Stackable tokens generally means flat, and since the ships need to be useable as either cruisers or transports, having cruisers on one side and transports on the other just makes sense to me.


There is one kind of ships, that stacks perfectly
Spoiler (click to reveal)



I tried that, but then the cruisers and transports are visually indistinguishable! Something like those Cosmic ships would be acceptable, if you could do something to make them more easily separated into cruisers and transports.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Eye wrote:


I tried that, but then the cruisers and transports are visually indistinguishable! Something like those Cosmic ships would be acceptable, if you could do something to make them more easily separated into cruisers and transports.


Yeah, good point. The ship types are determined by two things: whether they're upright/laying down and their position on the card (gates for cruisers, vs. middle for transports). The saucers would remove one of those indicators.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Frantic Ferret wrote:
The Eye wrote:


I tried that, but then the cruisers and transports are visually indistinguishable! Something like those Cosmic ships would be acceptable, if you could do something to make them more easily separated into cruisers and transports.


Yeah, good point. The ship types are determined by two things: whether they're upright/laying down and their position on the card (gates for cruisers, vs. middle for transports). The saucers would remove one of those indicators.

When I played this during beta there was a rule that ship could move only once per round so I also needed some way to indicate activated/unacitived ship so I never connected ships "state" with type.
In final version this rule was dropped, and long rocket ships was used, so it was more convenient to place cruisers laying on the gate between two cards. But it could be even more convenient to place fleets in stacks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogers
Mexico
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rafal100 wrote:
But it could be even more convenient to place fleets in stacks.


Even moving two ships together right now is a pain in the butt. Stacking would be great!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I see the benefit of stackability, but right now the visual distinction between types of ship is vivid and necessary. Like Jeff, I'd be sad to lose it.

I bet there's some spaceship mold that can stand up or lie on its side AND is stackable either way. But all I can think of is a 2x1x1 brick.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If it ain't t broken, don't fix it. The rockets are slick and make it easy to distinguish between transports and cruisers.
A stackable version of the design would be great, but it won't be easy to design and produce, I'm afraid.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dérek Boily
Canada
Québec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Or get some Looney Pyramids. Additionnally, you'll be able to play hundreds of other games with them...!



Edit: Also, I think the ships of the 1st edition look great and are perfectly functional. I'd prefer having these plastic ships than cardboard tokens.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Shaw
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And . . . it's UP:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/429029786/impulse-engli...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogers
Mexico
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Paptimus wrote:
If it ain't t broken, don't fix it. The rockets are slick and make it easy to distinguish between transports and cruisers.
A stackable version of the design would be great, but it won't be easy to design and produce, I'm afraid.


Well, I'm clearly in the minority, I just don't see what the problem with stackable, reversible tokens is. Theoretically, they'd be easier to physically manage, and just as easy to count and distinguish.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.