Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Foam core inserts and best setup! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Avelar
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the gmt trays and now am having a hard time with the map tiles. I wish there was a better way to organize the tiles with out taking a lot more room. My next thought is to use the tuckboxes instead of foam core. I am spending so much money in organizing and it isn't helping setup time. What is the best set up people have had?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lassberg
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently using an accordion file for the map tiles. It has like 12 folders, which works great. Each letter gets it's own folder except (I think) E/F and M/N which only have 1 tile each. They share a folder.

I use a couple of small plastic bead boxes from a hobby store for a lot of the condition markers/loot/etc. GMT trays for 95% of the standees (the big boss ones I just put all in a plastic baggie). The terrain tiles got sorted into like 3-4 baggies as well. Everything else goes into the insert that came with the game.

It all fits in the box except the accordion file. All in all, it's a decent enough solution.

However, I just ordered the Meeple Realty insert here: http://www.meeplerealty.com/store/p92/Gloomhaven_Town_%28Com...

Because I'm a sucker for a nice wooden insert.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
How expensive is it to do a foam core insert?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Phay
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I play the game directly out of my insert. There is also another insert created that is displayed directly below mine that has a little different setup.

Gloomhaven Foamcore Insert

The cost is under only about $5 for the Foamcore and a little more for the glue and other things that you may need. However once I got everything I can build an insert for a game with Foamcore for under $5.00

This saves lots of time in setup and teardown as I just put the inserts back in the box.

For the characters I have larger zip lock bags that put each characters stuff in and that all goes in the top of the box. We do this so that we do not have to keep opening the character boxes all the time. Plus sleeved cards does not allow everything to go back into the character box. Then once you retire a character un-sleeve that characters cards and use them for your new character.

Ray
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Phay
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasquid wrote:
How expensive is it to do a foam core insert?


You can get the Foamcore at a hobby store for $5.00 or less. You may need to get additional supplies through depending on what you have around your house. Glue, Utility blades, cutting mat, rulers, etc.

Ray
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Accordion File Organizer

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002LCUZK/ref=oh_aui_deta... holds all the tiles sorted alphabetically.

Several threads are about organizing with many pictures...

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25259833#25259833 is mine, I use that accordion file organizer and two binders, but do have to carry the large binder out of the box.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1740732/obligatory-stor... Jim uses the same accordion file organizer, and uses a binder+cd wallet, and plano instead of GMT trays

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1743960/another-custom-stor... Uses a different file accordion organizer

There's many more threads out there, I just tried to grab ones showing how to organize all the tiles.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a simple set of inserts using foam core. Five roughly 5 x 11 in trays. Two hold monster standees, two hold overlay tiles and scenery items, and one for the tokens used for game play. All together I used less than a single sheet of foam core. Also used about 10 blades in the razor knife. The foam core destroys blades and you need to keep them sharp or you get ragged cuts.

Total cost, less than $3.00

I am using the original tray to hold most of the cards, and just stack the map tiles on top. Finding the map tiles is the only pain, but I tried a folder, which worked great, but didn't fit in the box. So I sacrificed ease of locating map tiles for everything in the box.

I did purchase some clear plastic sheets designed for business cards and placed each of the monster decks in them. Makes them easy to find. I also used these same sheets to hold the items available in the market. This saves time as the market is instantly laid out and visible.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuzzydeath wrote:
Accordion File Organizer

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002LCUZK/ref=oh_aui_deta... holds all the tiles sorted alphabetically.


I have that exact accordion file organizer. It makes setting up maps the fastest part of setup for us. There are just enough pockets if you combine M and N, which isn't a problem since there's only 1 tile of each anyways.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mavericklancer wrote:
Fuzzydeath wrote:
Accordion File Organizer

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002LCUZK/ref=oh_aui_deta... holds all the tiles sorted alphabetically.


I have that exact accordion file organizer. It makes setting up maps the fastest part of setup for us. There are just enough pockets if you combine M and N, which isn't a problem since there's only 1 tile of each anyways.


Does this folder hold the bigger tiles as well? I recently bought accordion file from Staples and the large tiles were sticking out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mishenka wrote:
mavericklancer wrote:
Fuzzydeath wrote:
Accordion File Organizer

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002LCUZK/ref=oh_aui_deta... holds all the tiles sorted alphabetically.


I have that exact accordion file organizer. It makes setting up maps the fastest part of setup for us. There are just enough pockets if you combine M and N, which isn't a problem since there's only 1 tile of each anyways.


Does this folder hold the bigger tiles as well? I recently bought accordion file from Staples and the large tiles were sticking out.



The "H" tiles look too big, but the way the flap folds over, it actually fits all tiles perfectly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.