Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
When Gandhi: The Decolonization of British India, 1917 – 1947 got announced by GMT Games, I jumped at the chance to do some playtesting. Which, I haven't done any playtesting for a COIN game since A Distant Plain, so I was ready to get back to work. (Well, that's not true either, I did some work with Colonial Twilight: The French-Algerian War, 1954-62, but that's a 2-player COIN, and I mainly worked with the solitaire end of the spectrum for that game.) Anyway.

So, I got the files and got to work making the Print and Play.

Yes, this COIN explores the use of nonviolent resistance as a major component in game play. Naysayers will bitch about this not being true to the spirit of the COIN games, but I say this is the next natural progression of this series, and one that finds a home perfectly in this system of asymmetrical game play. Honestly, it makes sense to me. The system has always had non-violent non-war-like actions, like Bribe, Aid, Govern, etc... And as A Distant Plain and Fire in the Lake showed us, direct confrontation was to be avoided if you wanted to win. Like in ADP, if you're Coalition, you don't ever want to tangle with the Taliban for any given amount of time. Control spaces, gain support, and get the hell out of there! So, the fact that this game has TWO Non-Violent factions in it, is great, and it works.

On the surface, Gandhi looks like any other COIN game:

You got your dudes on the map, your LoCs, your Cities and provinces, Control and Support and Opposition, and you also have Gandhi running around as well.

You'll notice right away that the NV-factions pieces look different. The pieces I have in the pictures isn't exactly what they will look like, but they will be shaped differently, not a cube or cylinder. And for the most part they act the same as usual, they move, they control spaces, but they are always active.

We have the Indian National Congress and the Muslim League as your two NV-factions:

We'll get back to the Non-violents, but let me backtrack and talk about the British Raj faction.

The Raj are your typical COIN Government faction. Like Andean Abyss and Cuba Libra, you are alone against the world in this one. The other three factions are trying to rip apart your 'nice' little world. You have troops and Sepoys who are native troop/police/Government Workers. You want in general to keep control and support. But you also have to maintain order by use of the British Rule Track:

Want to rule heavy handed with lots of force? Generally it will cost you a lot less to do so, but the side effect is--it makes it easier on the NVs to retaliate against you. Want to negotiate and govern peacefully to resolve this crisis? It costs a lot more and is slower, but makes it harder on the other factions in what they want to accomplish--they want you to act big and stupid, so it makes their job easier. But either way, the crisis isn't going anywhere, no matter what strategy you take, you will have your hands full as you always do as Government.

Back to the NVs. The League and Congress are partners much like the Coalition and Government in ADP and the U.S. and ARVN are in FitL. They share resources, have many of the same actions, and both can get their protesters thrown into jail, but have VERY DIFFERENT goals/paths to victory. Which of course, creates lots of tension.

You have the Muslim-Hindu Unity Track also to deal with. The more you Cooperate, the more resources and other things the two of you get, but if you're the League you want Unity lower in order for you to accomplish your goals quicker.

Then there are the Revolutionaries. The last faction. A kind-of true insurgent force, who are not afraid to use violence and blunt force to get what they want. They act much like the FARC, Taliban, VC, in other games, but are a little more subdued in this game, as they are not as a cohesive of a group as other insurgents from the other games. Which makes it much more challenging to play them. Because if you have played any amount of COIN games, it's hard to forget what you know from other games, and to jump into a new game and go, wait a second, normally I can do this or that.

So far it's been pretty damn good. I'd say so far it's a blend of A Distant Plain complexity, but with the lower component complexity of Cuba Libre. But yet feels a little like Andean Abyss/CL in the sense it's 3 vs. 1. For me, it's a welcome return of the 4-player COIN series back to the 20th century.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Sounds fantastic - thanks for posting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interested to see how this one works out.
IMO the COIN system is very adaptable to power-politics situations, not necessarily including much organized violence.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
Very interested to see how this one works out.
IMO the COIN system is very adaptable to power-politics situations, not necessarily including much organized violence.

Brian

I was wondering what you were going to think of this one. So far, as with a lot of the COIN games, you have to un-learn what you have learned before and adapt to a whole new strategy.

I would really like to see the COIN system go more in the direction of power politics and other NV situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep!

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mirror
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow. This really looks very interesting. Thanks for giving a bit more context and texture to the nonviolent factions. Looking forward to 2018 in one way at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adil M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I want to see COIN become a kind of multiplayer twilight struggle system with more depth than just card counting, and this asymmetry and interesting interlocking systems between the players just looks fantastic. Either way, this game looks great and I just joined the P500
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rutvik Sanghvi
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
mb
Really awesome game plot! Being from India, this makes it all the more interesting and personal!

However, being from India, I am not sure if and when I will be able to get the game here. Is there any way to make a pnp version of it available? I believe the snaps above are of the pnp version.

Thanks,
Zany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.