Danny Burbol

Las Vegas
msg tools
mb
Entry Thread for Rogue Force - Contest Ready

Game Logo

Designed for the 2017 9-card Nanogame PnP Design Contest.

Rogue Force
1-2 players.
All Ages.
Game Length: 15-20 minutes.

Components:
[9 cards] - on [1] A4 letter size Double sided PDF sheet
[1] - A4 Letter size Double sided PDF sheet - Rules
[8] - d6 dice [2 colors, 4 dice per color]
[8] - counters with a corner for pointing to a track [2 colors, 4 per color]

We need you to take command of a small fleet of rebel space ships on an unsanctioned mission to destroy an enemy base. Make wise choices. Make the most of limited resources. Damage the objective, get back home alive and maybe, just maybe, we’ll win this war. We’re counting on you and your Rogue Force.

The object of the game is to navigate your fleet of ships to the enemy’s base; damage it; and then return to your own home base. Damaging the enemy base and returning home are both required to be eligible to win the round.

The game is based on making hard choices with your resources and keeping your fleet strong for battle.

I'd like the game to be entered in:
Best Overall Game
Best Solitaire Game
Best 2-player Game
Best Written Rules
Best New Designer
Best Grayscale Printed Game Category

Download:
Link to Printable Rules and Cards

Videos:
3min video: High-Level Intro to Game
30min video: Rules / How to Play
12min video: Demo of Solo Mission (1 player)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Burbol

Las Vegas
msg tools
mb
Re: [WIP] Rogue Force - 2017 9-card nanogame contest - Components Ready
Thanks in advance for any suggestions or feedback! This is my first time designing a game for a community contest and it was really fun! I hope to be doing this much more frequently

Thanks!
~Danny
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I'm not sure what you mean by "counters with a corner for pointing to a track [2 colors, 4 per color]"

If they follow the requirement for the listed components, you're good but these sound different than what is required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Previdi
Italy
Goito
Mantova
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
Hello,

I'm not sure what you mean by "counters with a corner for pointing to a track [2 colors, 4 per color]"

If they follow the requirement for the listed components, you're good but these sound different than what is required.

Based on the picture uploaded, i guess he means that you "tilt" your counters to have one of their angle pointing at a number on track. This way, you can use a square counter as if it is a 4-pointed star. (that's my assumption, at least.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Burbol

Las Vegas
msg tools
mb
yes, I'm just trying to say, "use a counter that is good for pointing at a track of numbers".

hmm. I guess I could say "square counters". I was just trying to include hexagons, triangles, and counters that shaped like a circle with a corner for pointing ( like this link ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the game printed earlier and played tonight.

Used Levenger's "arrow" paperclips- worked fine. But an initial suggestion would be to use colored counters that match the dice as the time counters. I ended up using a white one to match the white dice and a blue one to match the blue dice. Then I can clearly tell where the time markers are for each player.

Cards were no problem to cut, rules printed fine. Looks good too even in black and white.

Set up a solo game. Just to be clear, there is no fleet for the enemy in the solo game. Money means nothing to the enemy. All I'm after is hitting the base for 4 damage to win, and make it back. Yes?

Play reminded me of Star Patrol: Carrier Commander. But yours has a variable setup, which is good.

I think I technically lost. I flew my fleet of 3 ships, stopping and dealing with an event at each of the four cards, and dealt 1 damage. Lost a ship, failed to inflict more damage, and flew home. Most of the events that came up either cost me money I didn't have (so I didn't think I could do that choice) or made my fleet status go down. I think I made it home with one ship. So that would be one damage on the enemy base and the mission timer expires when I get home. Loss? Yes?

I'm trying to put a finger on what's with the game- it didn't really click for me. And I just can't figure it out. I like space games. This has no hex grid to move ships around and worry about thrust, drift, and all the actual physics of flying. The rules are pretty clear- good illustrations and layout (actually, REALLY good) Icons are meaningful. Objective in a solo game is clear enough (but could be a bit clearer as mentioned above) and it uses dice. I like dice. And there's a good use of the back of the card too- don't see that very often.

I think some of it is that every move I made, something got worse- money, time, fleet status- and I wasn't doing anything except just moving. Now when I would DOCK at a card, then I would expect things to happen. But if I'm just flying by, shouldn't time be the only thing passing? Maybe a chance that I'm detected early as I get closer to the enemy base? +1 if I dock? That might require a 9th die if both players are flying 4 in their fleets...

Planet 1 of 4- no chance. 2 of 4- 1 in 6, 3 of 4- 2 in 6, 4 of 4 (planet where you fire at the base) 3 in 6. And a +1 to increase the chance of detection if I dock. So the first planet then becomes a 1 in 6 chance... Makes the choice of stopping (to flip the card for an event AND to see what's at the DOCK) a choice. If I'm just flying by, only time passes.

And then there's the good, old "faster than light" travel. What about skipping a planet? Think about that one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice video BTW. I did end up playing about right...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks cool! Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.