Matt Sturm
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Got a little confused during our last game when the Fellowship was about to enter Mordor. Rereading the rules, I'm still unsure if we played it all correctly, so here's a few questions that will help me sort that out.

1. If hidden, the FP must declare the Fellowship's position before entering Mordor. I assume this means they cannot enter Mordor on the same turn they arrive at Morannon or Minus Morgul if they are still hidden, since the Fellowship cannot be declared during the action resolution phase, only during the Fellowship phase. Do I have that right?

2. When revealed during the hunt, if the Fellowship started on, passed through, or ended their move on an SP-controlled Shadow stronghold, the Fellowship must draw a hunt tile for each stronghold on the route. This does not apply when they are declared. Do I have that right?

3. If the Fellowship ends up revealed at Morannon or Minus Morgul:
A) Should they be moved immediately to the Mordor track?
B) If yes, can they be hidden using the next available FP character die, then move using subsequent character dice during the same action resolution phase (alternating turns with the SP if applicable, of course)?

4. Putting this all together: a situation arose in my last game where the FP controlled Minas Morgul. The Fellowship was revealed on a move that gave it exactly enough movement to reach MM. However, the rules state that they cannot stop in an FP city or stronghold when revealed, so we assumed they couldn't stop in MM (it being FP-controlled at that moment). Instead they stopped in SP-controlled Morannon, revealed, drew a hunt tile (because Morannon was SP-controlled), resolved it, then were immediately placed on the Mordor track. Later in the same action resolution phase they were hidden using the next available character die, then later moved again with a remaining character die. Lotta moving parts there. Did we play correctly?

Thanks for any clarity you can bring!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Subscribed as this always confuses me too, good question!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
King Friday wrote:
1. If hidden, the FP must declare the Fellowship's position before entering Mordor. I assume this means they cannot enter Mordor on the same turn they arrive at Morannon or Minus Morgul if they are still hidden, since the Fellowship cannot be declared during the action resolution phase, only during the Fellowship phase. Do I have that right?

Partly correct. The Fellowship remains hidden when declaring but still need to be declared in Minas Morgul or Morannon during the Fellowship phase.

King Friday wrote:
2. When revealed during the hunt, if the Fellowship started on, passed through, or ended their move on an SP-controlled Shadow stronghold, the Fellowship must draw a hunt tile for each stronghold on the route. This does not apply when they are declared. Do I have that right?

Correct.

King Friday wrote:
3. If the Fellowship ends up revealed at Morannon or Minus Morgul:
A) Should they be moved immediately to the Mordor track?
B) If yes, can they be hidden using the next available FP character die, then move using subsequent character dice during the same action resolution phase (alternating turns with the SP if applicable, of course)?

A) No. The Fellowship can only enter the Mordor track during the Fellowship phase.

B) See answer to A.

King Friday wrote:
4. Putting this all together: a situation arose in my last game where the FP controlled Minas Morgul. The Fellowship was revealed on a move that gave it exactly enough movement to reach MM. However, the rules state that they cannot stop in an FP city or stronghold when revealed, so we assumed they couldn't stop in MM (it being FP-controlled at that moment). Instead they stopped in SP-controlled Morannon, revealed, drew a hunt tile, resolved it, then were immediately placed on the Mordor track. Later in the same action resolution phase they were hidden using the next available character die, then later moved again with a remaining character die. Lotta moving parts there. Did we play correctly?

The Fellowship can only enter the Mordor track during the Fellowship phase.

From page 43 of the rules:

"If the Fellowship is in Minas Morgul or Morannon during a Fellowship Phase, the Free Peoples player may decide to enter Mordor."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steva fields
United States
vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes

2. Yes

3. No, You can only move the fellowship to the Mordor track, during the fellowship phase.

4. A shadow stronghold or city never becomes a free stronghold or city. They are just controlled by the free. So no tile would have been drawn for the free controlled stronghold. If revealed in Minus Morgul, or Morannon, you still have to wait until the fellowship phase to enter the Mordor track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King Friday wrote:
4. Putting this all together: a situation arose in my last game where the FP controlled Minas Morgul. The Fellowship was revealed on a move that gave it exactly enough movement to reach MM. However, the rules state that they cannot stop in an FP city or stronghold when revealed, so we assumed they couldn't stop in MM (it being FP-controlled at that moment). Instead they stopped in SP-controlled Morannon, revealed, drew a hunt tile (because Morannon was SP-controlled), resolved it, then were immediately placed on the Mordor track. Later in the same action resolution phase they were hidden using the next available character die, then later moved again with a remaining character die. Lotta moving parts there. Did we play correctly?

To clarify on this one, the fellowship could have revealed into Minas Morgul. The rules say "... this movement can never end in a region containing a Free Peoples Stronghold or City controlled by the Free Peoples."

MM is currently controlled by the Free Peoples, but it is not a Free Peoples stronghold/city. So you could reveal into MM and avoid drawing the extra tile. But, you would need to wait until next turn to move to the Mordor track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sturm
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, folks. Great answers, all.

I suspected we were playing it wrong when we moved the Fellowship onto the Mordor track in the middle of the turn, but we were flipping between the rule book and the UH summaries, and missed the p. 43 rule. Next time we'll get it right.

Thanks for catching my implied question in No. 4, Jim. Good to know that the Fellowship could have revealed in MM and avoided pulling a tile. I suspected that might be the case, but I was the FP with low corruption and the SP wasn't even close to a win, so I played by the rules we actually understood. I didn't want to win by inadvertently cheating (though I ended up doing that anyway by entering Mordor on the same turn). In any case, the hunt tile was a zero, so lucky me, huh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Quick add-on question to the above: can I declare the fellowship to be in MM and then in the same phase enter the Mordor track?

Let's say at the start of a round I have 1 range in the fellowship track and am still hidden. Can I first declare to move into MM and the immediately move to the Mordor track in the same phase?

Cheers,
Markus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoystickZ wrote:
Hi all,

Quick add-on question to the above: can I declare the fellowship to be in MM and then in the same phase enter the Mordor track?

Let's say at the start of a round I have 1 range in the fellowship track and am still hidden. Can I first declare to move into MM and the immediately move to the Mordor track in the same phase?

Cheers,
Markus

Yes. If you are far enough on the Fellowship track that you can reach Minas Morgul in the Fellowship Phase, you can declare the FSP is now there. Then you can decide you are on the Mordor track, still in the same Fellowship Phase. Then the game continues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.