David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I've added Pavlov's House to Tabletopia. Unlike Tabletop Simulator, you don't have to own a program to use Tabletopia - it's browser based. Better yet, it's free. So now there's no reason to miss Pavlov's House!

You can check out the Tabletopia implementation here.

Or, if you prefer, you can still use the Tabletop Simulator version, here.

I will likely try to figure out Vassal too...but man, I've tried that three times unsuccessfully. There is just something about it that doesn't click for me.

Here are a couple preview images:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hansen
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this tonight. The dice were cruel to me. The board and play seem well laid out. Still haven't figured out how to pick up more than 1 die at a time. Card shuffling, flipping, and drawing all work well. One small drawback: When the Soviet counters are flipped to their exhausted side, there is just a black square instead of a grayed out counter. It can mean a bit of flip/reflip if you forget who's who.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark_Hansen wrote:
Played this tonight. The dice were cruel to me. The board and play seem well laid out. Still haven't figured out how to pick up more than 1 die at a time. Card shuffling, flipping, and drawing all work well. One small drawback: When the Soviet counters are flipped to their exhausted side, there is just a black square instead of a grayed out counter. It can mean a bit of flip/reflip if you forget who's who.

Thanks for checking it out, Mark. I'll take a look at the counter issue. Certainly shouldn't be doing that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, it looks like I've managed to fix the counters. Let me know if the flip side still appears solid black for you, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hansen
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:
Ok, it looks like I've managed to fix the counters. Let me know if the flip side still appears solid black for you, though.

Just did a quick test. All good now. The Soviet counters flip and show the exhausted side. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the 1st four turns last night to get a hang of the rules and flow, and hope to get back to it today. The dice were being a little mean to me early, but I've been hitting back at the advancing units after some rough bombing.

Enjoying the flow. It's a different sort of game for me, but I'm getting into it. I used to play hex and counter wargames back in the early 90s, but now I'm much more of a Euro player.

To Mark's comment about picking up multiple dice, it uses the convention of SHIFT+click to add more things to what you've picked up.

My comments so far:

- the grey exhausted side of the Soviet pieces aren't very high contrast from the main side, and zoomed out it's hard to tell? Not sure if you'd like to differentiate it more.
- player aids would be very very helpful, and I'd be flipping into the rulebook less as I'm getting started. On Tabletopia a little matt under the cubes with the names of the different colours would be nice for one. Turn flow/bulleted options for the actions on some kind of reference would be nice too.

Have you thought about colour-blindness issues for the cubes? Mainly for the cubes that will be together in the supply areas, and then for the difference between disrupted vs the placed token for things like AA. Might be good to use a high contrast there - black for disrupted, etc?

I also mentioned that I'm trying it out on my bit for this week's What Did You Play This Week Podcast episode that I recorded this morning. Will air tonight or tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, I saw your tweet about winning and getting Order of the Red Star - congrats on getting a win on your first game. It's not easy!

Second, thanks so much for the mention on What Did You Play This Week. You astutely identified one of the influences for the design - the action selection mechanism for the operational-level Soviet player was in fact inspired from SW Risk/Queen's Gambit. The mechanism for Storm Group also grew out of my desire to have something along the lines of the separate tracks in SW Risk, though the final results doesn't really reflect the initial inspiration.

You're not the first to mention the issue with the exhausted counter contrast issue (in both print and digital formats). I'll get that cleaned up by adding some sort of non-color based indicator (like an icon, etc).

Did you see the reference sheets that are on my website (http://digitalcapricorn.com/site/games/pavlovs-house/)? They won't help with the counters, but they're useful for helping to remember the action types. I'll work on a way to help with the counters.

I'll try to update the cubes on Tabletopia to the counters I used for my physical copy. That will help with the color blindness issue. You can see the counters in my unboxing video.

Go to the 6:35 point in the video to see what I mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbj91zMqD8E

Thanks again for trying the game and for the great feedback!

MaltmanJ wrote:
I played the 1st four turns last night to get a hang of the rules and flow, and hope to get back to it today. The dice were being a little mean to me early, but I've been hitting back at the advancing units after some rough bombing.

Enjoying the flow. It's a different sort of game for me, but I'm getting into it. I used to play hex and counter wargames back in the early 90s, but now I'm much more of a Euro player.

To Mark's comment about picking up multiple dice, it uses the convention of SHIFT+click to add more things to what you've picked up.

My comments so far:

- the grey exhausted side of the Soviet pieces aren't very high contrast from the main side, and zoomed out it's hard to tell? Not sure if you'd like to differentiate it more.
- player aids would be very very helpful, and I'd be flipping into the rulebook less as I'm getting started. On Tabletopia a little matt under the cubes with the names of the different colours would be nice for one. Turn flow/bulleted options for the actions on some kind of reference would be nice too.

Have you thought about colour-blindness issues for the cubes? Mainly for the cubes that will be together in the supply areas, and then for the difference between disrupted vs the placed token for things like AA. Might be good to use a high contrast there - black for disrupted, etc?

I also mentioned that I'm trying it out on my bit for this week's What Did You Play This Week Podcast episode that I recorded this morning. Will air tonight or tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually had to restart because my paused Steam Tabletopia game had all the cubes turn black when I went back in! So I restarted in the browser on Safari and played a new game. And the 2nd time through definitely went better.

I got the 4 radio/communications going pretty early, which helped a lot, and they never got bombed again after that. I do want to try it with the tactics too.

Biggest thing I was thinking was how smooth it would be playing a physical version!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.