Grimslingers» Forums » Rules

Subject: Items - Doing it wrong? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Art Dodd
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
We picked up Grimslingers and are trying to play the base game with items added in. It seems like there isn't a reason to play a spell (other than maybe two of them) when items are used as you can just keep belting the opponent with items. I have a feeling maybe we're playing it wrong?

Since you can always have up to 2 items in your hand, and you can always draw an item at the start of each "round" why wouldn't you always just play an item instead of a spell?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
samuch wrote:
We picked up Grimslingers and are trying to play the base game with items added in. It seems like there isn't a reason to play a spell (other than maybe two of them) when items are used as you can just keep belting the opponent with items. I have a feeling maybe we're playing it wrong?

Since you can always have up to 2 items in your hand, and you can always draw an item at the start of each "round" why wouldn't you always just play an item instead of a spell?

Thanks in advance!

Are you discarding the items into the item discard pile after playing them? Most of them are one use only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Dodd
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
On our first go with items we both pulled weapons that say "deactivate on use". That means they cycle back in, correct after a pass, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
samuch wrote:
On our first go with items we both pulled weapons that say "deactivate on use". That means they cycle back in, correct after a pass, correct?

Correct!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
samuch wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Which edition of the game are you playing? First or Second? I can't see how you'd be able to only use items to win in either edition.

I'd also check out the third edition rules posted here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
samuch wrote:

Yeah, in 2nd edition rules, deactivated basically means a one turn cool-down. So you could only ever play that item every other turn, and it'd be predictable. I'd try to hit your opponent with a wind or fire to get rid of their item.

There's a way to counter just about anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.