6 Posts

Fury of Dracula (third/fourth edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: 6-player FoD? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Comet Hiker
msg tools
Hello to all geeks!

I'm contemplating introducing the game to a group of friends, but we'd end up in the uncomfortable situation of having one player sit the session out. Since I want to avoid that, I wonder what experienced players think of the following idea?

6-player introduction variant:
-Have 2 players control Dracula.
-First player plays according to normal rules.
-Second player -being the one with knowledge of the game- acts both as an advisor to Dracula and a rules teacher to the Hunters, ie.reminding them which actions they can take and providing some measure of hints and tips on good moves.
-During Dracula phase, both players agree on Dracula's actions. First player gets the casting vote in case of a tie.

The point here would be to let a new player have fun with Dracula without risking the whole session on some illegal moves on his part, or a poor understanding of the rules.

So - totally unfun for the 6th player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Comet_Hiker wrote:

So - totally unfun for the 6th player?

IMO, yes. A lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In this case your 6th player is for all intents and purposes a moderator for the entire game. If you feel like watching your friends play and being there to give advice and answer questions is worthwhile is up to you. Personally I would find it a little boring, but would probably be willing to do it myself if it meant I would be able to play the game with some of them in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group thinks it's no good with 5, for what it's worth. Our ideal number is 3, so each player controls two hunters. If you only control one hunter, it can get boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think it's best with 2 players, so I would only want to do 6 as some kind of "learning" game so that I would have more people for 1-on-1 Fury in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias F.
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
In my opinion this isn't a 6 player variant at all. But it's an excellent way for teaching the game to new players - especially for an unexperienced Dracula player. I would do it exactly like described.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.