Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the rules (several times) and went through weapons school. If you are interested in a PBEM game let me know. I have experience with VASSAL in PBEM mode but just learning this specific VASSAL module. I am on dropbox but we can use others or do it through email. I usually do turns daily, the longest I would like to wait on a routine basis is 3 days.

If someone has any tips for using the modules let me know. Most of VASSAL experience does not use hidden units so making sure my hidden guys stay hidden would be good.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Clark
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be willing to give this a go. I've just finished playing an EV scenario using Vassal PBeM and Dropbox and it works fine. PM me if you're interested.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Gaspar
Portugal
Cantanhede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be game for a PBEM EV game too.

My main concern is just how to deal with the whole PBEM part. I've played Downtown against myself (and won!) a couple of times using the VASSAl module, so I'm aware of how to play the game; it's really the PBEM file exchange process that eludes me...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
General scenario questions:

Runway dibbers: available 1967 for Egypt? The rules indicate that they used them in 1973 so I kinda get the sense they were not used (by them) before then.

Ground Targets:
I see where different ground targets have different profiles but I normally see some sort of damage rating for different ground targets but in this game I don't. For this scenario the target can be the control tower, the runway, or aircraft revetment (what no juicy oil tank?) which have different profiles but I don't see much difference besides that.

Any reason by the airfield is in Bold? Underlined means more VPs, not sure about the bold.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pirimeister wrote:
I would be game for a PBEM EV game too.

My main concern is just how to deal with the whole PBEM part. I've played Downtown against myself (and won!) a couple of times using the VASSAl module, so I'm aware of how to play the game; it's really the PBEM file exchange process that eludes me...



I can understand your concern and I shared it when I first started using VASSAL for PBEM, but it really is straightforward. There's a lot that can be done by the opposing player to speed things up and the file exchange really only becomes intense for SAM shooting, in my experience. None of it is difficult or counter-intuitive, it's just the game slows down at a few points. If you enjoy the game for what it is, though, it really isn't a problem.

I'm in two DT games at the moment using VASSAL PBEM with players who've never played before. If they don't want to continue to more complex scenarios once we're done, I'll more than happily play a game of EV.

Jon
1 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the process..

I create a new game taking my side. I start a log file named in a logical manner.

I post the log file or email to you.

You load it and watch my moves. When it ends, it will ask if you want to start a new file which you almost always do. Change the name to indicate the next turn or phase and record your moves. When complete, save the file and post it or email it. Cycle repeats.

If you really mess up. Load the last good file and start the process over. You are not permitted to restart to get the die roll you want though.

Such a different experience playing big scenarios against live humans across the globe with no time constraint. You have time to really read the rules and plan real strategy. Small scenarios are great for learning but the larger scenarios is where PBEM really shines.

The main issue is finding someone who enjoys the same pace you do and is reliable.
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ctcharger wrote:
Here is the process..

I create a new game taking my side. I start a log file named in a logical manner.

I post the log file or email to you.

You load it and watch my moves. When it ends, it will ask if you want to start a new file which you almost always do. Change the name to indicate the next turn or phase and record your moves. When complete, save the file and post it or email it. Cycle repeats.

If you really mess up. Load the last good file and start the process over. You are not permitted to restart to get the die roll you want though.

Such a different experience playing big scenarios against live humans across the globe with no time constraint. You have time to really read the rules and plan real strategy. Small scenarios are great for learning but the larger scenarios is where PBEM really shines.

The main issue is finding someone who enjoys the same pace you do and is reliable.


One useful and important addition to that is that you can start a new file before the previous one is finished. This really speeds the game up. For example, suppose I am the US player and I draw a chit to move 4 flights. As I am moving the first flight, you, the DRV player, want to shoot with a SAM at this flight. So you start your log file mid-way through mine and make your SAM shot. You then continue playing the file so the other flights can move (and you can make subsequent SAM shots as appropriate). If the SAM shot is successful and affects the movement of the first flight, then the US player can simply change that in the next file. SAMs are rarely successful, so this doesn't happen often.

If you couldn't interrupt log files in this way I would think VASSAL was far too clunky to make the game work, but fortunately, you can

Jon
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ctcharger wrote:

If someone has any tips for using the modules let me know. Most of VASSAL experience does not use hidden units so making sure my hidden guys stay hidden would be good.


Others might know better, but I think the easiest way to do this is get all your pieces ready in the 'hangar' window (that's what it's called in DT; I can't remember if it's the same in EV) and set their 'hiddeness' there. Then you can simply drag to the board. It will stay hidden until you 'unhide' it!

Jon
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips! I had no idea you could start a log file inside a log file or why you would even want to. zombie Very cool. cool

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Gaspar
Portugal
Cantanhede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for that explanation, Jon.
Please consider me in you "replacement pool" of players for you next game of EV. Any time is a good time and I would really apreciate playing a game with you.

Craig, if you ongoing games quota (specificaly the ongoing games with newbies sub-quota) isn't yet reached, feel free to PM to get a game going.

Cheers.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EV does indeed have a hanger which I am using to hide my AAA units (which are pretty obvious) before putting them on the map.

Paulo, will keep you in mind for sure as I get more comfortable with the game and the module.

Thanks again for all of the advice and tips.

Craig
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
also about VASSAL, it remembers where it has been, when you want to save or open a file, it takes you to the directory you want even on dropbox. You can change it of course but normally would not. Not really a big deal nowadays but it saves you a step each time which adds up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Gaspar
Portugal
Cantanhede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ctcharger wrote:

Paulo, will keep you in mind for sure as I get more comfortable with the game and the module.


Roger that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Working through my first EV PBEM game now. So far so good. Just a lot of slow time as his jets crawl across the map at speed 2. I will post some screenshots in the PBF forum as things heat up.

This is a bit off topic (thoughts on playing PBEM) so using spoiler mode.

Spoiler (click to reveal)


A word of caution about playing PBEM, for me, it ruined me on solo play. I played various solo games which are very good. Carrier, Tokyo Express, Hornet Leader, Apache/Thunderbolt leader and they are really good but now, I just can't get motivated. Knowing someone is out there working a real strategy is just too much fun.

I do have Silent Victory: U.S. Submarines in the Pacific, 1941-45. I may get motivated to play it in a co-op mode posting what happens on PBF back and forth (screenshots from VASSAL) if someone is willing to do their own patrol. Just to go on patrol by myself, I can't get motivated even though I love the subject and it looks very well done.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nothing beats hex spine flying along the canal... or this VASSAL module..may have to turn soon though...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jonbryon wrote:


One useful and important addition to that is that you can start a new file before the previous one is finished. This really speeds the game up. For example, suppose I am the US player and I draw a chit to move 4 flights. As I am moving the first flight, you, the DRV player, want to shoot with a SAM at this flight. So you start your log file mid-way through mine and make your SAM shot. You then continue playing the file so the other flights can move (and you can make subsequent SAM shots as appropriate). If the SAM shot is successful and affects the movement of the first flight, then the US player can simply change that in the next file. SAMs are rarely successful, so this doesn't happen often.

If you couldn't interrupt log files in this way I would think VASSAL was far too clunky to make the game work, but fortunately, you can

Jon



This is not working for us at the moment. It has burned me in MBT and Elusive Victory. When I get the file back, my guys have moved and the other players never moved them. Is there something I need to do on my end?
For example...
This is where they were:



But got this back...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ctcharger wrote:


This is not working for us at the moment. It has burned me in MBT and Elusive Victory. When I get the file back, my guys have moved and the other players never moved them. Is there something I need to do on my end?
For example...
This is where they were:



But got this back...



What did you interrupt? Did you finish the file you were interrupting?

I have had trouble with pieces occasionally being translated from one place to another with VASSAL, but that has had nothing to do with interrupting files; it just happens for ordinary file exchanges too. Usually I just close VASSAL and restart the file and it solves the problem.

I've played 10+ games of DT/EV using VASSAL and not had this problem before other than occasionally as mentioned above. You might need to start a new thread asking for help from people more experienced than me.

Jon
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think he interrupted but instead started a log file and then opened my log file. Do you think that makes a difference?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was leaving it open while I waited for the next turn, I will close the game and see if that fixes it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ctcharger wrote:
I don't think he interrupted but instead started a log file and then opened my log file. Do you think that makes a difference?



I've never done it that way round; who knows if it makes a difference

Jon
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to have fixed it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So close before I got jumped with 1 A/C damaged and forced to jettison and flee. My Migs flying top cover did damage a Mirage but I wanted that kill!

Working up the learning curve, so far so good.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.