Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about counting damage dealt on my turn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Brute ability "balancing strike" or whatever will do X move, where X is how much damage I did this turn.

If I hit a guy for 20 and he has 2 HP, do I move 2 or 20?

If I hit a guy for 4 but he has 2 Shield, do I move 2 or 4?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure about the official answer.

My interpretation would be the amount of damage you dealt, after all modifiers (shields, attack modifier deck), but not accounting for monster HP.

So for your examples:
1. Move 20, since you dealt 20 damage, regardless of the monster's remaining health
2. Move 2, since you only dealt 2 damage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Faranim wrote:
I'm not sure about the official answer.

My interpretation would be the amount of damage you dealt, after all modifiers (shields, attack modifier deck), but not accounting for monster HP.

So for your examples:
1. Move 20, since you dealt 20 damage, regardless of the monster's remaining health
2. Move 2, since you only dealt 2 damage

This is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This should be in the FAQ for the brute. I would not have interpreted it the correct way (I would have counted only the HP's that were actually lost)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aflorin wrote:
This should be in the FAQ for the brute. I would not have interpreted it the correct way (I would have counted only the HP's that were actually lost)

I'd say it's pretty clear from the rules.

When attacking, the base attack value written on the card can be modified by three values ....

Note that none of the modifications have to do with how many hit points the target has.

When a monster is brought to zero or fewer hit points by an attack or any source of damage, that monster dies and is removed from the board.

This pretty clearly implies that you can do more damage to a monster than its current HP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
aflorin wrote:

I'd say it's pretty clear from the rules.

When attacking, the base attack value written on the card can be modified by three values ....

Note that none of the modifications have to do with how many hit points the target has.

When a monster is brought to zero or fewer hit points by an attack or any source of damage, that monster dies and is removed from the board.

This pretty clearly implies that you can do more damage to a monster than its current HP.

Yeah, I get it. But like I said, I would have interpreted the wording on the card ("amount of damage you have inflicted so far this turn") as not including overkill HP's that bring the monsters to negative health. Maybe I'm in the minority but I'd rather it be in the FAQ in case the OP and I aren't the only ones with the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Which is also implied in at least one Battle Goal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.