D Le
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
www.kanataboardgamers.ca

The St. Pat Edition

Theme: Pre-St. Patty day board gaming. Bring your games of luck and green player tokens (No drinking games though -__-).

Secondary theme: Ides of March. Games of Caesar? Romans? Back-stabbing?

There is a meeting of the Kanata Board Gamers every Thursday; next one is 16 MAR 2017. The start time for the session is 6pm till approximately 11pm.

We meet at the Kanata Community Christian Reformed Church (KCCRC) at 46 Castlefrank Rd, which is beside the Hazeldean Public Library. There is parking outside. Just go straight through the doors facing the lot, and you can't miss us!

During the winter season we are kindly requested to remove any outside footwear when coming into the church to avoid tracking in the winter muck. So it's a good idea to bring a spare change of shoes.

$2.50 will be collected from each person. The first $30 collected is donated to our gracious venue. Any left over will go into our board game library fund. Members can borrow from the library any time. Borrow it one session, bring it back for the next.

Visitors are always welcome. Come on in and check us out! There is no obligation, but if you decide to become a member it only costs $7.50 and entitles you to 10% discount cards at select local games stores. (FAQ)

Note if you want the discount cards (for Fandom II, Mrs. Tiggy Winkles, and Comic Book Shoppe), let Steve know, and he'll have them made up. 100% of the $7.50 fee goes to CanGames to support kids games, and the cards are good for 1 calendar year from the month you get them.

Feel free to use this forum thread to discuss what to play!

Directions by car to the Kanata Community Christian Reformed Church (from the East):

1. Take Queensway/417 to Castlefrank exit, EXIT 139
2. Turn left onto Kanata Ave
3. Continue about 2km to 46 Castlefrank Rd, just past Hazeldean Rd.
4. Destination will be on the left, at the stop sign. Go up the hill.
5. Go through the doors facing the parking lot and into the main hall.

Directions using public transportation (from the East)
1. OC Transpo route 118 starts at the Hurdman station.
2. For stops check the 118 route: http://www.octranspo1.com/maps/
3. The stop you want is Hazeldean & Castlefrank
4. Walk west on Castlefrank following signs for the library
5. The church is on your left and is well signed.
6. Go up the hill to the doors facing the parking lot, and into the main hall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costa K
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am not going to make it this Thursday, which probably means the place will be a lot more quiet than usual

(I should be like Dan and thumb my own post...must resist)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Larkin
Canada
Carp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
costak wrote:

(I should be like Dan and thumb my own post...must resist)

I did it for you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James E
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to guess no one has a copy of 18Ireland they'd like to bring?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Is this the dark side? Someone mentioned cookies.
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to make it out to one of these meetups, but I'm hoping to come this week.

Will we be rapped on the knuckles for playing anything that deviates from the theme? Unless you expand it to green game boxes, I'm stuck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Doody
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
annabamama wrote:
I have yet to make it out to one of these meetups, but I'm hoping to come this week.

Will we be rapped on the knuckles for playing anything that deviates from the theme? Unless you expand it to green game boxes, I'm stuck.

The theme is almost always ignored. You are free to play what you wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Le
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha yes, the theme merely exists for those that have such a big collection and fall to bouts of indecisiveness that they need some guidance on what to bring; or, for those named Costa.

We look forward to you making it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MisplacedWorker wrote:
I'm going to guess no one has a copy of 18Ireland they'd like to bring?

Waiting on an item from the printers and then I'll get mine shipped.

Can't make it this week due to ageing and getting cake.

Glenn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It's always great to get out and play some games with the Kanata Boardgamers Group and see all those great games that get played every week. While I thoroughly enjoyed the games I played I did look around at every table and say "that would be great to play too."

I started out by teaching Danny, Luc, Frank, Bob and Nial Evolution a game where the goal is to build a tableau of species that, over the course of the game eat the most food. Luc started out with a carnivore and, despite the best efforts of the rest of us to create carnivore-proof species, he survived the whole game. Later, Frank also created a carnivore that did pretty well. Meanwhile, Bob, Niall, Danny and I were trying to grab as much food from the watering hole as possible while staying (relatively) impervious to the carnivores. Danny was particularly successful at creating a variety of species that got to eat early and were safe from the carnivore. In the end, Danny and I were tied for most food eaten but he took the game on most trait cards in play.

Next, I taught Niall and two newcomers, Sean and Sono(sp?) City of Iron: Second Edition a Ryan Laukat game with city building, area control and some deck/hand management. It is, like all his games, a really beautiful game that plays very tightly with all resources (in this case coins and "science" at a premium. Over the course of 7 rounds you are playing only 21 actions, so each choice you make is critical. Sono had a huge cash lead early in the game but was a little short on "science." Sean saw an opportunity in military and focused on that. I was able to get a good science engine going and jumped on some advantages early in the game but kept my decks lean to get to my good cards more quickly and was playing more for the end game. Niall, too, was focused on the later half of the game. In the first scoring round we were all clustered pretty tightly but going into the second scoring round Niall and I had gotten control over some valuable goods and took a slight advantage. Before the third round, Sean made a big military push to control some of the more valuable goods. On his last turn Sono conquered one of the towns that Sean had already conquered and knocked him back a peg. That was crucial as Sono edged out Sean for third place by one point. Meanwhile, Niall and I were duking it out for first. In one of his last moves he explored a new land that essentially nullified one of the end game bonuses I could have gotten. Those two points proved crucial as Niall won the game by 1 point. Well done. It was quite a fun game, filled with interesting and tough decisions. It was a bit long. The gameplay itself isn't that long but there is a point in each round where you are simultaneously going through your personal reserve deck of 30+ cards that you are can purchase to add to your inplay decks and this took a bit of time as we all wanted to see what all the cards did. Hopefully, with more familiarity this game will play a little quicker.

Cheers,
JOE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.