Popular Tags: [View All]
Corry Damey
United States
Twin Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello designers and fellow gamers!

My brother and I have been working on a card game that was designed for a contest. However, like most procrastinated efforts, it didn't find it's way out the door in time. What we have now is a game with a theme we love, but a mechanic that doesn't deliver that experience as well as we'd like. Since I've been staring at this game for a long time, I need some help blush

The game is called Campfire Stories and the theme revolves around a few kids hiking into the woods on a camping trip. At night, they take turns telling a story around the fire. Your aim as a camper is to guide the story in the direction you want it to go.

This was initially a trick-taking game where players played cards into a trick, took actions based on the suit, pulled cards out of the trick, and played them into individual tableaus (stories). This evolved into several variations, but broke eventually from the trick-taking mold in hopes of evoking the experience of actually telling a story. Slowly, the versions turned into telling one big story and having player vie for direction over it.

My question is twofold:
1) What other mechanics exist that have the potential to create this storytelling feel in a card game?
2) What games to research for inspiration?

I really appreciate anyone taking the time to read this and everyone's input and thoughts on this little baby game designer's project. If you need more clarification or have questions, I'm an open book !

TLDR
I'm making a game, but would love input on a mechanic that thematically evokes the feeling of storytelling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corry Damey
United States
Twin Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant to post this to the "Board Game Design" group. Oops!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.