Corné van Moorsel
Netherlands
Maastricht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

With Powerboats sold out long ago but still being a personal favorite, I want to make a new game with its mechanisms. First idea was keeping the speedboat theme the same, later I did find it fun to change the theme too, and with that the gameboard became very different.
I changed things to make it a better version, learning from the experiences with Powerboats. While I still love the Powerboats game too.

And now the crowdfund for *Powerships* started at Kickstarter!

Some of the main changes:

------ The cardboard tiles spaces from the Powerboats expansion are now part of the gameboard. That makes those special spaces more spread and more interesting. These spaces play a great role in the races!

------ Damage rules: Each damage point limits your maximum number of dice. Without damage, your maximum number of dice is 5. So in case of 2 damage, you can have 3 dice maximum (so 3x3=9 as maximum speed). Each turn in which you don't add, remove or roll dice, you repair 1 damage point. No elimination.
Each player has a 'speedometer' which makes keeping track of your dice and damage more comfortable.

------ Powerships is focussed on one race. For playing more races, the rulebook tells to count as victory points:
- Finish position: 1st:10vp / 2nd:7vp / 3rd:5vp / 4th:3vp / 5th:2vp / 6th:1vp.
- 1 minus point for each extra turn you need after the 1st player finishes, with a maximum of 10 minus points.

------ The powerships average speed, number of dice, is higher. With Powerboats, experience was that races get the most interesting when they look easy. Because higher speed makes choices often more interesting. With that experience I designed the solar system gameboard tiles.

------ The Powerboats races normally were the most interesting when distances between buoys were long, giving many option to approach a buoy. In Powerships long distances are assured from the start planet to the first space buoy and from the last space buoy to the finish planet.

------ Players must finish at the finish planet (in its space or in the 6 adjacent spaces). Not passing the finish planet! That leads to special end situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♪ I'll mourn over the marble steps ♬ Junkies of the world lay across the monuments ♫ I climb and blister on the mount ♪ Drunks take a piss where heroes once bled out ♪ ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
Corne,
Powerships looks amazing. I love my copy of Powerboats and the expansion.
I hope your projects funds!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corné van Moorsel
Netherlands
Maastricht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gosh darn it. I had toyed with the idea of doing a vector-movement, hex-based, momentum-fuelled race in space game. Until Powerboats came along, and did everything I had wanted to do with a whole lot less fuss and hassle. So there I was, perfectly happy with Powerboats.

Although sometimes playing three races was a bit, well, odd. I wanted to make it just one race. In space, perhaps.

Just post the darned link, and I'll sign up to back it now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Burton
United States
St. Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
Gosh darn it. I had toyed with the idea of doing a vector-movement, hex-based, momentum-fuelled race in space game. Until Powerboats came along, and did everything I had wanted to do with a whole lot less fuss and hassle. So there I was, perfectly happy with Powerboats.

Although sometimes playing three races was a bit, well, odd. I wanted to make it just one race. In space, perhaps.

Triplanetary does a pretty good job of being vector-movement, hex-based and momentum-fueled. Also supports combat if you are so inclined. It is old and the components look dated if you see one. What I really like about it is that you use a marker to record each move on a clear cover of the board in order to know where your next move will take you if you do not accelerate in the classical physics sense.

I plan on backing this one since I like Powerboats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
I owned Powerboats and sold it like a fool so I'm glad this is out. Already backed. Now if only I could get a copy of Habitats....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stormseeker75 wrote:
I owned Powerboats and sold it like a fool so I'm glad this is out. Already backed. Now if only I could get a copy of Habitats....

Same here, had PB and couldn't get it much on the table, sold it and now fully regretting it. Corne, please consider bringing back PB for those fools like us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corné van Moorsel
Netherlands
Maastricht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jefftang wrote:
stormseeker75 wrote:

Same here, had PB and couldn't get it much on the table, sold it and now fully regretting it. Corne, please consider bringing back PB for those fools like us.

Bringing Powerships is kind of bringing back Powerboats. I first worked at making a new Powerboats version, but then had more fun with making a more special version and trying to make it "the best version".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
This may have been the easiest decision I've ever made to back a Kickstarter game.

I'm a huge fan of racing games, having played and enjoyed very many, and Powerboats is my second-favourite of all time. (First is Ave Caesar, and that's excellent company to keep.)

Thanks for reviving this game, and best of luck with the campaign!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♪ I'll mourn over the marble steps ♬ Junkies of the world lay across the monuments ♫ I climb and blister on the mount ♪ Drunks take a piss where heroes once bled out ♪ ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
Ack, you all are making me feel guilty I'm not backing the game!
Powerboats is perfect as is and I appreciate the feel of racing a boat with no actual braking mechanism other than reducing dice.
Besides Mississippi Queen, it's the only other boat racing game I own.

Okay, I may have to back Powerships...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cwali wrote:
jefftang wrote:
stormseeker75 wrote:

Bringing Powerships is kind of bringing back Powerboats. I first worked at making a new Powerboats version, but then had more fun with making a more special version and trying to make it "the best version".

I think it would have been really cool and easily get more funding if Powerboats was on the reverse side of the Powerships board. I think this will get funded regardless but the thought of the original Powerboats board on the back side would have been the icing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel [working on TENNISmind]
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My first game: BASKETmind, a simple yet realistic 5on5 basketball game
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't want to increase my collection this year, but I had missed Powerboats and this is hard to resist! angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jefftang wrote:
I think it would have been really cool and easily get more funding if Powerboats was on the reverse side of the Powerships board. I think this will get funded regardless but the thought of the original Powerboats board on the back side would have been the icing.

Understandable, but Powerboats had two sides to the tiles.
A space/water print would dilute the original watery raceways of Powerboats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hex_Enduction_Hour wrote:
jefftang wrote:

Understandable, but Powerboats had two sides to the tiles.
A space/water print would dilute the original watery raceways of Powerboats.
;)

In that case, you're right. I sold mine years ago so I didn't recall two sides to the original. Still would have been nice to have, assuming this Powerships is one sided only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
wtb1679 wrote:
RDewsbery wrote:

Triplanetary does a pretty good job of being vector-movement, hex-based and momentum-fueled. Also supports combat if you are so inclined. It is old and the components look dated if you see one. What I really like about it is that you use a marker to record each move on a clear cover of the board in order to know where your next move will take you if you do not accelerate in the classical physics sense.

Actually you used a grease pencil (nowadays substitute wet erase) for tracking the course of each ship, with a counter to track its current location. It had a racing scenario, the Grand Tour, a multiplayer scenario about prospecting in the asteroid belt, two player scenarios covering a fleet mutiny and an interplanetary war, a three player scenario dealing with an alien threat to an earth divided into opposing factions. etc. Truly a great game.

wtb1679 wrote:
I plan on backing this one since I like Powerboats.

I've never backed anything on Kickstarter and never will, but if a version that isn't nerfed reaches retail distribution I'll probably buy a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Burton
United States
St. Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Actually you used a grease pencil (nowadays substitute wet erase) for tracking the course of each ship, with a counter to track its current location. It had a racing scenario, the Grand Tour, a multiplayer scenario about prospecting in the asteroid belt, two player scenarios covering a fleet mutiny and an interplanetary war, a three player scenario dealing with an alien threat to an earth divided into opposing factions. etc. Truly a great game.

I first played, late 70's, early 80's, using a cousin's first printing where you rolled it up and stored it in the shipping box. I bought the second printing off eBay. This is the flat box edition. The box is severely dished but it is worth it. When it showed up, I went to the office supply store and bought 10 or so different colored grease pencils. Maybe I will pull it out for Geekway this year and play the Grand Race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corné van Moorsel
Netherlands
Maastricht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The new version of Powerboats reached its fund goal at Kickstarter, and gets 'comets' (obstacles which move over the board), a 4th buoy for a longer/different race and possibly a 7th player powership+dice which is the current stretch goal.
Last 6 crowdfund hours.
(It will be a small special printrun, same as with Factory Funner and Habitats, so it may be a last chance to get it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cwali wrote:
The new version of Powerboats reached its fund goal at Kickstarter, and gets 'comets' (obstacles which move over the board), a 4th buoy for a longer/different race and possibly a 7th player powership+dice which is the current stretch goal.

Don't forget the double-sided boards...

And please guys, make it go over 24k!

EDIT/ 24k and 25k done! I've posted an announcement a few hours ago at the Spanish site laBSK, maybe part of the last rush is from Spain...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziegreich
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to be fully funded. Does this mean I can no longer make a pledge?

If not, can I pre-order the game?

(Sorry, not well versed in Kickstarter.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cwali said this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cwali/powerships-a-futu...

So I guess you can pre-order directly from him at that price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man... Do I try get the original Powerboats or the latest Powerships? I was drawn to the simplicity of the original. With me being a big fan of Streetsoccer, I'd read that skill could be found under the surface of this one too.

The designer has likely 1000's of Powerboats plays under his belt and with him saying he's taken that experience to tweak this remake, I've got to pay attention.

I'm still leaning towards the original.

Anyone played both? Anyone with good experience of Powerboats got advice to give?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arctic Jack wrote:
I was drawn to the simplicity of the original.

I think this version is not more complex at all, and it seems that each and every change introduced makes it better. I would say the choice is clear!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arctic Jack wrote:
Oh man... Do I try get the original Powerboats or the latest Powerships? I was drawn to the simplicity of the original. With me being a big fan of Streetsoccer, I'd read that skill could be found under the surface of this one too.

Are you aware of the web site where you can play Powerboats online, play-by-mail style ?

(come join me)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
Arctic Jack wrote:

Are you aware of the web site where you can play Powerboats online, play-by-mail style ?

(come join me)

Yes, I've been playing Streetsoccer there but have yet to try out Powerboats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
Arctic Jack wrote:

(come join me)

???

Pretty cool. I'm going to have to sign up for this.

I've only played Powerboats once, due to that was the only opportunity I've had to play it. I missed out on the opportunity to buy it.

I look forward to trying this online. Thanks for the tip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.