Subject: Why is there not more buzz?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Tower
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game looks great and I'm sure it will be a bit in my gaming group. I am just wondering why this game isn't getting more attention. It has an excellent price point and it's not this designers first game. Does it have something to do with Rising sun and Empires of the void II being on Kickstarter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, it doesn't stand out to me in theme nor mechanisms and a game has to stand out A LOT if I will support anything by Game Salute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
To be honest, it doesn't stand out to me in theme nor mechanisms and a game has to stand out A LOT if I will support anything by Game Salute.

Hmm, you may be lumping this game into a generic sci-fi category, but it appears to be hard sci-fi, i.e. realistically themed, space exploration game, rather than a space opera. There are very few realistically themed space exploration or space science games (my favorite theme), so this one does very much stand out for me.

I think the reason it does not stand out for the community is because most people sadly do not really care about the distinction between space opera and hard sci-fi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game salute. Need I say more? ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dann May
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hi! Pleased to meet you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tower2116 wrote:
The game looks great and I'm sure it will be a bit in my gaming group. I am just wondering why this game isn't getting more attention. It has an excellent price point and it's not this designers first game. Does it have something to do with Rising sun and Empires of the void II being on Kickstarter?

The guys and I that worked on the creative aspects of the game think it will be a great compact and colorful title to have in a collection. If people take the time to look into it, then there will be people that play it and enjoy it and pass it on, so that's the main thing, and it should build steam. Not everything can be a huge hit right out of the gate. Thanks for the praise on the impression the game makes, Nick is an awesome designer to work with and we love his style of game design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had the same concerns (and said as such on the KS). The game does look great. I played it a few times on Tabletopia to get a feel for it and enjoyed it. And as said above, the price point is nice as well.

They posted a few videos on game play, explained by the designer, on the KS. I would have thought those would be uploaded to here. Even simple things like doing that could help get things going more.

While funding has slowed, it did hit its goal pretty quick, which was nice to see.

Though I have heard the rumors of Game Salute, I'm going to have faith in the project and stick with it till the end. The game, and price, are worth it to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Broussard
United States
Carencro
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am bummed about the lack of buzz too. I figured if all the kings forge backers alone got an email about Farlight that would have been enough to get the buzz going but alas. My first thought is that folks just don't know about it yet for some reason. Hoping Game Salute finds some huge mailing list that they simply forgot to notify and once that gets sent out it will take off!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
3 Minute Boardgames
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, the game looks ok. Good for its price point for sure, but not "OMG this is amazing must have".

With so many designs out and about it's just hard for games to stand out. And while this looks good, it doesn't have a lot of WOW factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ithkrall wrote:
Honestly, the game looks ok. Good for its price point for sure, but not "OMG this is amazing must have".

With so many designs out and about it's just hard for games to stand out. And while this looks good, it doesn't have a lot of WOW factor.

Could also be that their main KS game is Alien Frontier, which already covers the Space theme. So the people who likely got informed of this one may be all spaced out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McGillivray
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
Slashdoctor wrote:
...a game has to stand out A LOT if I will support anything by Game Salute.

Can you elaborate on that? I'm a backer of the project but not very familiar with Game Salute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schreiber
United States
Waynesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Tolerance for ambiguity is the first step in maturity.
mbmbmbmbmb
mcgillivray wrote:
Slashdoctor wrote:
...a game has to stand out A LOT if I will support anything by Game Salute.

Can you elaborate on that? I'm a backer of the project but not very familiar with Game Salute.

When Kickstarter was first gaining steam back in 2013 and 2014, Game Salute had a lot of projects up. A lot. This was back in the day when stretch goal fever often outstretched the experience of publishers. My sense is that Game Salute exceeded their capacity to communicate well with projects and that cost them some credibility.

The result was that projects were delayed and they weren't always as clear as they could have been. To my knowledge, everything delivered except for perhaps a cancelled dice project for Alien Frontiers (Rocket Dice). I've received everything I ever backed and the quality was very good. I do think communication could have been clearer at times though when there were unexpected delays. I was frustrated a time or two, but I continued backing when the game was something I wanted. And since art direction is a key motivator in what I back, I've been pleased by the Game Salute projects I have chosen to back.

In the last 18 months, I've seen a real improvement. Fewer games, more selective designs, and not getting caught doing stretch goals that will impact the ability to deliver on time. Recent projects seem to be running smoothly and I am a backer of Farlight as well. I'm not concerned, but it can take years to turn around a bad taste in some people's mouth. There's too much on KS already, all you need is the hint of a reason to say no.

It should be said, however, I know many of the people involved from conventions and things---I have always personally received good service from them. But that relationship with the staff of Game Salute started when I was a backer and continued into events and professional contacts. It changes when you know people, but I connected with them first as a backer and then as someone working in the industry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info Chris. Glad to read that for better or worse.

All I knew before was that they were late on things. But I can live with that, it's a part of KS more or less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Braffe wrote:
Thanks for the info Chris. Glad to read that for better or worse.

All I knew before was that they were late on things. But I can live with that, it's a part of KS more or less.

Being late happens all over the place, I am used to that too. It doesn't bother me. Just like Chris said I feel a great improvement in product quality and selection by Game Salute. The haven't failed to deliver my rewards and I wouldn't hesitate to back them again.

Farlight is on my watchlist. Just like OP Derek I like that it isn't a space opera and instead is pretty much on point about the space exploration/technical race theme.

I am with Chris regarding the artwork. Recent Game Salute titles always please me a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.