Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Hiltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Star Realms and Hero Realms with one of my friends, our Star Realms match ups are pretty balanced, but I have 1 win in 6 games of Hero Realms.

Below are the match ups. I know character decks alone don't paint the full picture, and 6 plays isn't a big sample size, but I have been getting CREAMED. Even the win I have under my belt was hard fought where I came back from 1 health to win.

Game 1: Ranger vs Wizard (me) LOSS
Game 2: Cleric vs Thief (me) WIN
Game 3: Fighter vs Ranger (me) LOSS
Game 4: Wizard vs Cleric (me) LOSS
Game 5: Ranger vs Wizard (me) LOSS
Game 6: Fighter vs Ranger (me) LOSS

Game 6 the Fighter only purchased 3 cards, and I was still toast.

I think the major problem I have is that scrapping/sacrificing is nearly non-existent and I can never seem to get any kind of engine off the ground. Is there any good rule of thumb strategy? Should I play without character decks for a few games to see if things balance out? Or force us to use the same characters for a few matches?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try going back to the vanilla player decks so you get more comfortable with the cards. As for basic strategies you want to generate income early so you can buy better cards fast. Scrapping is useful but don't count on it. Getting some guards quick can help a lot and of course trying to stick to to two colours is helpful but not always possible so you have to learn to adapt on the fly. If you are playing Hero Realms like Star Realms you'll be left behind as Hero Realms is really a more offensive game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexa Elvrayen

California
msg tools
Champions, especially guards, are almost a requirement for survival. Their are significantly fewer ways to outright destroy them in Hero Realms, and those are limited to Guild.
Anything that allows you to draw cards/cycle faster - Elven Gift, even - can work wonders for getting those good cards right when you need them.
Discards hurt. In a basic hand, they can cut off an opponents gold, costing them a purchase, or damage to buy you a turn or two of breathing room. In the late games, they can be especially costly by depriving ally abilities.
Sacrificing is good, but not at all a requirement. Especially with character decks, where 9/10 times you only want to sacrifice basic gold. Sure, it's annoying to draw it late game - but if you buy extra effects over a weaker sacrifice card, you're going to have better luck getting through before sacrifice becomes important.
Try to stick to two colors, if possible, only picking up 3/4 for extra strong cards (like Crime Spree, Wolf Form, etc.) that don't really care about allies.
And more than anything, practice makes perfect. You'll get a better sense of when/how to activate powers with different heroes as time goes on. The Cleric's strong if you can get a couple guards in play, forcing your opponent to waste combat on them. The thief is strong period, being able to pay 2 gold for heal AND discard - especially since they start with so much money! And so on and so on.
You'll also learn that certain cards lend themselves better to different heroes. The wizard doesn't care about champions (except guards), the thief likes a couple early draws for throwing daggers, yadda yadda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hiltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kryyst wrote:
You could try going back to the vanilla player decks so you get more comfortable with the cards. As for basic strategies you want to generate income early so you can buy better cards fast. Scrapping is useful but don't count on it. Getting some guards quick can help a lot and of course trying to stick to to two colours is helpful but not always possible so you have to learn to adapt on the fly. If you are playing Hero Realms like Star Realms you'll be left behind as Hero Realms is really a more offensive game.

Thanks for this insight! My deckbuilding instincts told me to always start going for income early, but I think I'm being blinded by that as my opponent gets a strong offense. I also think first player has a leg up with the character decks (particularly the fighter with his strong starting attacks) and I should be more mindful of that. The character decks are my favorite tweak to the "Realms" format but I do think I should revert back for a bit until I'm acclimated with all the cards in the deck.

Alexa_Elvrayen wrote:
Champions, especially guards, are almost a requirement for survival. Their are significantly fewer ways to outright destroy them in Hero Realms, and those are limited to Guild.
Anything that allows you to draw cards/cycle faster - Elven Gift, even - can work wonders for getting those good cards right when you need them.
Discards hurt. In a basic hand, they can cut off an opponents gold, costing them a purchase, or damage to buy you a turn or two of breathing room. In the late games, they can be especially costly by depriving ally abilities.
Sacrificing is good, but not at all a requirement. Especially with character decks, where 9/10 times you only want to sacrifice basic gold. Sure, it's annoying to draw it late game - but if you buy extra effects over a weaker sacrifice card, you're going to have better luck getting through before sacrifice becomes important.
Try to stick to two colors, if possible, only picking up 3/4 for extra strong cards (like Crime Spree, Wolf Form, etc.) that don't really care about allies.
And more than anything, practice makes perfect. You'll get a better sense of when/how to activate powers with different heroes as time goes on. The Cleric's strong if you can get a couple guards in play, forcing your opponent to waste combat on them. The thief is strong period, being able to pay 2 gold for heal AND discard - especially since they start with so much money! And so on and so on.
You'll also learn that certain cards lend themselves better to different heroes. The wizard doesn't care about champions (except guards), the thief likes a couple early draws for throwing daggers, yadda yadda.

This is also great advice. I subscribe to the 1-2 color rule as a rule of thumb, but the last two games in particular saw the buying options go 100% blue after I had built into other colors, which instantly cripples my decision making. I tend to buy Fire Gems in those situations and don't pay enough attention to character abilities when I have a spare 2 coins. I think I need to wipe my brain clean and treat this as a different beast altogether.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexa Elvrayen

California
msg tools
All blue isn't bad, though. Several blue card allow you to draw, making them essentially free stuff when they come up.
But yeah, if you're not blue and they don't do that, I definitely recommend looking at abilities. Ranger's is phenomenal, as it lets you set up a draw next turn (and cut gold/etc. off the top!). Fighter is damage, Cleric is healing (which i'll take over a fire gem every time), and Thief is the same healing plus a discard instead of defense.
Wizard is the character who really struggles. His starting cards are solid, but Channel is really tame unless you can stack it right. In the right circumstances - say, buying a big card to the top of your deck - it can blow a game out of the water, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hiltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I just wear an earpiece and spy glasses next time I play and have you feed me decisions to make? The clincher here is that I'm the one who owns the game, I can be practicing and studying... time to get to work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played many more games than you, but I think that I am a perfect 50% win rate. My most successful strategy has been to buy champions early (especially ones that can produce money) and then buy cards that reward we for having many champions and direct damage (to eliminate my opponents champions). Also, always buy underpriced cards, regardless of color (true in Star Realms too, by the way).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.