Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
LC
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Well, that's, like, your opinion, man
mbmbmb
Do you need to get all mythos packs and the deluxe expansions in each cycle?

For example, do you need the Dunwich Legacy before getting The Miskatonic Museum?

If you don't have either the Dunwich Legacy or the Miskatonic Museum, would it be pointless to jump aboard with the next mythos pack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For any Mythos Pack, you must have the corresponding Deluxe Expansion to play the scenario. (You could always just use the player cards and forget about the scenario.)

In your example, you must have Dunwich Legacy to be able to play Miskatonic Museum (as well as Essex County Express and the future packs in this cycle.)

The Mythos Packs are not dependent upon each other --- you can play them in any order. BUT, you miss the campaign play in this way --- and that is one of the strengths of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need the Deluxe expansion of a cycle to play any of the following chapters of that cycle. So you absolutely need Dunwich Legacy to play Miskatonic University. However strictly speaking you wouldn't need Miskatonic University to play any other pack like Essex Express, assuming you weren't concerned about the campaign.

Quote:
If you don't have either the Dunwich Legacy or the Miskatonic Museum, would it be pointless to jump aboard with the next mythos pack?

Pretty much, unless it's a case of collect what you can while trying to find the earlier ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks, all. That's what I figured. Sad for me. My FLGS didn't get in the Dunwich Legacy as they had anticipated, so I am in a kind of pickle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Motoningennoken wrote:

- It would be next to useless.

Might be overstating it a bit - the player cards are still all usable. It'd have similar value to a second core.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawcomic wrote:
Thanks, all. That's what I figured. Sad for me. My FLGS didn't get in the Dunwich Legacy as they had anticipated, so I am in a kind of pickle.

It's sold out at FFG, and the game is a smashing success. A second printing is almost inevitable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
A second printing is almost inevitable.

There's another batch on the boat at the moment. I think it's actually the third printing! You can also drop the "almost"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawcomic wrote:

No real pickle. Just now the game is very popular and various scenarios and big boxes (both core and the Dunwich expansion) seem to keep becoming unavailable as new printings are arranged/fulfilled.

As such, if you are sure you want to play the campaign relatively close to when it releases get whatever you are missing when you see it available.

You may have to wait for the big box to become available before you start playing the campaign, but it's better than seeing the later scenarios available now and not getting them because you're waiting for the Dunwich box, and then not being able to get them for months once you've got the big box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United Kingdom
Mold
Clwyd
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth bearing in mind, each pack can be played standalone. I haven't done this but the rules do stipulate the mode in which you play....this does lead me to believe that it may be possible to play the mythos as one off stories....however, the only caveat I can see would be if mythos packs required locations from the deluxe box. I don't have the museum mythos, so can't check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they'll all require Dunwich cards. By "standalone", they mean "without the other packs". Not that I'd recommend it, as you're spoiling the hell out of everything

Many sequel scenarios have different start conditions depending on how the previous one ended, and there are rewards you miss in some of them. Consider each campaign one unit and go all or nothing for maximum fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:
Many sequel scenarios have different start conditions depending on how the previous one ended, and there are rewards you miss in some of them. Consider each campaign one unit and go all or nothing for maximum fun.

That's true, but they also give you setup instructions for standalone play. At least, the one that we've seen does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CSerpent wrote:

That's true, but they also give you setup instructions for standalone play.

Yes, and I said that is spoilerific
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
Furey wrote:
It's worth bearing in mind, each pack can be played standalone. I haven't done this but the rules do stipulate the mode in which you play....this does lead me to believe that it may be possible to play the mythos as one off stories....however, the only caveat I can see would be if mythos packs required locations from the deluxe box. I don't have the museum mythos, so can't check.

Locations aren't reused, but the encounter sets are. The Museum scenario requires Bad Luck and Sorcery from the deluxe expansion (plus a few from Core and its own unique cards, of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United Kingdom
Mold
Clwyd
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, minor spoilers aside, it's the encounter deck that causes us to buy everything in a cycle, not just random mythos packs. My local crack dealer could learn a trick or two from FFG. And yes, I will be buying everything in a cycle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Furey wrote:
So, minor spoilers aside, it's the encounter deck that causes us to buy everything in a cycle, not just random mythos packs. My local crack dealer could learn a trick or two from FFG. And yes, I will be buying everything in a cycle!

Not exactly. The encounter deck causes us to buy the deluxe expansion that goes with a given Mythos pack. The only thing that requires an entire cycle is wanting the complete campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
So when the next deluxe expansion comes out, one could start there without having gotten any of the cards from the current expansion set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawcomic wrote:
So when the next deluxe expansion comes out, one could start there without having gotten any of the cards from the current expansion set?
Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.