Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not think I ever played more than 5 turns in a day. Games of this length are best taken in smaller chunks, unless you really have all day to play. I rarely have that much free time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I estimate my first play through last week took me around 3 hours (spread over three evenings) but that was because I was learning the game, and had to tear down and set up each session as I couldn't leave it set up.

By the last few turns, I was rattling through the turns.

I don't see this as a very difficult game, and if you're applying chess-like analysis to the game I think you're probably taking it a bit too far! It's a light game. I think I could probably get through a game now in 90-115 mins (still longer than the box estimate of 60 minutes though!).

However, there's also no shame in playing more slowly and watching how the empire expands, and how it declines....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The repetitive point is interesting because ALL games are repetitive. All games have a sequence of play that the players follow every turn. I think games like this one seem more repetitive because you are neither waiting for your opponent nor is there a plethora of decisions. Its simplicity relative to its length makes it seem more boring than it really is. That is why spreading it out over multiple sessions held my interest?

Not all games "work" for all people. No shame in that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil J.
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nighteyes77 wrote:
Anyone feel the same way? Any insight or ideas to streamline gameplay?

Perhaps assign your own victory conditions at Turn 9? Something you can gauge in every game to see if you are improving?

(Sorry, I haven't ordered this yet so my knowledge of the game play is limited. I am also wondering if there are ways to keep this game to under an hour.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
Lines of Battle: Quatre Bras 1815. Brunswick hussar.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is addressed specifically in the game - it offers a short scenario precisely because the later stages are an "acquired taste".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DAVID STOCKHOFF
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I think the game is boring in the second half for one of two reasons:

(1) If you play the basic game using the talent numbers on the turn track, all you do is suffer. The preprogrammed financial schedule merely spells your doom. There is no hope. And nothing happens of any interest.
(2) If you play using the optional city tax rule, you are awash in cash for a thousand years. All you are doing is plugging holes in the dike. There is no fear. And nothing happens of any interest.

What the game needs, and the designer didn't bother to provide, is a dynamic mechanism for political and fiscal crises that yield both hope and fear---the only two things that make any game worth playing.

I am working up just such a mechanism. It creates progressive crises and introduces random events such as revolt and civil war. Let me know if you are interested in testing it. I may post some player logs from it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.