Hide
14 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Vassal vs PBF rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
E J
msg tools
I'm just curious why people prefer one over the other? I would have thought that with the Vassal module up and running, games would have switched over to it (especially for those who prefer real-time), but PBF seems to still be the main remote-play method.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For real time, Vassal is better. For asynchronous play, pbf is better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Vassal works better for email or PBF too - I am surprised people don't switch to using the Vassal module to generate maps and status boards even for PBF games. Of course I may be a bit biased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vassal has the limitation of not working on mobile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
Talae wrote:

True. I'd love an Android Vassal app, but it's probably not feasible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dying Tickles
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AmadanNaBriona wrote:
Talae wrote:

I'm pretty positive I read a month or two ago that there is a new Vassal in the works that will be web-friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DyingTickles wrote:
AmadanNaBriona wrote:
Talae wrote:

I'm pretty positive I read a month or two ago that there is a new Vassal in the works that will be web-friendly.
That would be wonderful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone post a screenshot of what a map update could look like for posting in a pbf? How would you post the status board and faction sheets?

I am tempted to test it out, but this is holding me back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
You can see some screen shots here.

Vassal lets you export all maps and boards as PNGs, so you could just upload those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My question is what a posted update would look like if one person was managing things (so that everyone involved would not need to have a Google account and be uploading their own log files). As I understand it, a post of this nature would need to include:
-The Map
-The Status Board
-Each Faction Board

That means an update post would have 5-10 images depending on player count (not including optional expansions like neutrals and IGOOs).

I guess that an alternative would be that the mod would just post the map and that the Vassal log files would be uploaded somewhere that others could download. They could then look at the map details from the download.

I am not sold on asynchronous play without a mod, but I can see potential benefit in using it in a pbf with a mod, as it seems like less management work than alternatives (if there is a reasonably efficient way to share updates).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
That's true, there would be a lot of images every turn. I would recommend maybe just posting the map after each individual turn, noting changes in status in text, and posting faction and status board images at the end of each round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to try it out, if there is enough interest. I think that I can condense it to fewer images by screen capturing with multiple faction sheets up at once. It is worth a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a typo on the OW faction sheet (says three areas needed to share instead of two). Anyone know how best to report this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops. Can someone confirm this? (No one ever mentioned it during testing, and I do not own the OW faction yet.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.