76 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games for highly gifted people rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
test tester
msg tools
Hi, i am Orga of a Boardgameevent to highly gifted people organisation.

What Games would you recommend? Should be without any dice or card draw luck.
"Mathgames" are good.

on my List for now:

Terra Mystica
Russian Railroads
Mombasa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid is about as mathy as it gets
Chicago Express and Acquire are interesting stock games with very little luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid honed my mental math skills to the maximum.

I do question why "gifted" signifies skill in or enjoyment of "math".

I am also skeptical of someone who just typed in "testester test test" to hurriedly create a BGG account. cool

Edit: apparently BGG doesn't support the emoji font.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
did they stop teaching probability in gifted class?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
test tester
msg tools
dcorban wrote:

I do question why "gifted" signifies skill in or enjoyment of "math".

I am also skeptical of someone who just typed in "testester test test" to hurriedly create a BGG account. cool

oh yes i dont use my real name in a online forum, blame me...

btt:
did you ever play Ora at Labora or Russian Railroads with someone they work as mathematical optimizer and Master of Science mathematical physics ? i do, and that is not funny as a "normal" guy.

I just ask for multiplayer games without luck, thats all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Stewart
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's an old game, but you might enjoy Rithmomachy if you can track down a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
www.evanswhanau.co.nz
badge
...um, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm nervous of the categorisation of 'gifted' at the best of times. Gift at what, exactly?

I have a mathematically gifted friend - got firsts in 2 math degrees and a PhD in physics (at Cambridge). Bright guy. He dabbles in some game design and is always looking to create a luckless game that others would want to play with him. Frankly it is pointless playing such a game with him as the result is predetermined. He is an exceptional puzzle solver. Fortunately he has weaknesses which mean that he is beat-able in all sorts of games. And is strangely weak at some heavier games where the rest of us expect him to excel.

So - if you want to test these 'gifted' individuals to produce a champion problem solver then go down the luckless route. If, however, you want to engage them in a rich social interaction that also challenges their minds then perhaps consider something that emphasises other dynamics.

I recommend Dominant Species. By no means a 'math' game - but plenty heavy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
A "heavy" game you say? This one, Ogre (Kickstarter "Designer's Edition") is 29 pounds of goodness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try looking for games with a high 'weight' rating.

But to reiterate what has been said, it really depends on the person. I'm technically 'gifted' and I dislike math heavy games, and prefer ridiculous silly ones like Camel Up. My similarly gifted friend is impossible to play games with because he has such severe AP that he is unable to make any decisions at all.

Edit: fat fingers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like this would be a good use for the Mensa Select list:

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Mensa_Select
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkwright
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Struggle of Empires. Gifted people know how to work the room, this is good practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:

Interesting thing is, almost all of those games violate constraints of the OP.

My suggestions (in descending order):

Ricochet Robots

Ubongo

Innovation

Splendor

Outpost

Crude: The Oil Game

Code 777

Labyrinth

Tsuro

Enigma

I teach a computer science class to highly gifted individuals and these games are the ones my students find the most engaging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
rshipley wrote:

Interesting thing is, almost all of those games violate constraints of the OP.

Indeed I can't help but wonder if the OP is projecting his personal bugaboos on the group (and by implication, on the concept of gifted) but rather than derail, I'll suggest High Frontier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludvig Stigsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus has no luck. And one of My favorite games ever.

However, being a highly gifted person myself, I don't like math and I don't mind a bit of luck in games in general. I also don't mind a goofy game now and then. Yet I prefere a game with a small random element to spice up a good thinky game. Games like; Nations, Bruxelles, Citadells, Targi, Suburbia, El grande, Between two cities, Battlestar Galactica, Puerto Rico.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1830: Railways & Robber Barons
Hive
Pentago
Quarto
Pylos

You might also want to tighten up your scope to 2 player games if you are trying to eliminate luck and randomness as games tend to become more random with more players.

I think you would be better off with a bit of luck and randomness, rather than none as life can be quite random at times. If you are trying to make this a learning experience, randomness should definitely be something that is not excluded. Many times in life even with the best laid plans things go terribly wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah! You want games of skill which test players' ability to solve classical physics problems, such as PitchCar or Bling Bling Gemstone.

If you find that games which give an unlimited amount of time to solve the physics problems just aren't enough of a challenge for your highly gifted crowd, check out games with a real-time puzzle element such as Dr. Eureka. (To eliminate that game's very minor luck element, simply shuffle & lay out 4n+1 cards so that everyone can see the order in which the formulas must be completed.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Greasby
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Walsh Code
mbmbmbmbmb
I would avoid strategy only games. They just price who can think ahead the most. I don't see the fun of always beating someone or always getting beat down. A little luck evens the playing field so everyone can enjoy the game.

That said, Five Tribes is good for people who like puzzles due to the meeple movement but it still has other elements and some randomness for people that don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hoiland
United States
Sidney
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Food Chain Magnate has no luck after board setup. The game rewards calculation of your decision tree in regards to deciding between more cutthroat options to reduce opponent income (points) vs concentrating on maximizing your own income. I highly recommend this game based on your recommendation request.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Consulting Detective
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
sgreasby wrote:
I would avoid strategy only games. They just price who can think ahead the most. I don't see the fun of always beating someone or always getting beat down. A little luck evens the playing field so everyone can enjoy the game.

This thread is just filled with stuff that annoys me, including this and the OPs use of 'gifted' to mean 'numerate'.
If you are looking for interesting multi-player takes on low randomness games then Knizia's Tutankhamun is fun, Puerto Rico and Civilization (original version) are both very close to low lock (CCiv comes with a fun card counting element), but I would particularly recommend either Hare & Tortoise or Diplomacy (Gunboat variant with no negotiation).
If you have players that enjoy flexing the mental muscles associated with analytic thinking you actually want relatively light games (which is why Chess and Go, both very light, are so popular). As a rule heavy games (things like the recent Scythe) are attempting to reward a different set of skills (memorisation and familiarity) necessary to absorb large rule books (which plenty of people, especially in what I think of their 'teenage' phase of boardgaming, enjoy a lot but is not what you are asking about).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably have the highest IQ on BGG, and my favorite game is Luchador! Mexican Wrestling Dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
RobertBr wrote:
(which is why Chess and Go, both very light, are so popular)

LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Way Out There...
mbmbmbmbmb
The Amazing Dunninger Mind Reading Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Nagels
Belgium
Olen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx
Happy Salmon
Loony Quest

Why? Because even "gifted" people should at least try to enjoy a variety of things and realize that distinguishing yourself and dividing people between "gifted" or "non-gifted" is absolutely disgusting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.