Josh Breese
msg tools
I'm doing a bit of research into how big publishers like CMON impact other developers running campaigns at the same time.

So many times I see "I'd back this but there is this CMON game. . ."

At the same time, I hear defenders saying that CMON brings new people into KS to see their games, giving them more exposure.

What's been your experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I say if your game can't stand on it's own regardless of what other games are out there, it isn't good enough to survive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's CMON?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
What's CMON?

Cool Mini Or Not. Known for the game Zombicide (among others).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rowlands
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My campaign is currently live on Kickstarter right now (The Last Garden) and we have seen no direct effects from the CMON KS. In general, I think that large reputable companies having large campaigns is a good thing overall.

That said, our game is a weird one about robot gardeners in the post-apocalypse. I'm sure if it was more similar to Rising Sun we would have a bigger issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How could someone compare the data points of the counterfactual?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Rouser
United States
Johnstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't run any campaigns, but The Terminator game had a bunch of cancelled pledges when Rising Sun went live. Part of that may be CMON, but part of it also might be Eric Lang's clout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
I say if your game can't stand on it's own regardless of what other games are out there, it isn't good enough to survive.

Perhaps. Would you say this also applies to two similar games coming out at the same time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:
motoyugota wrote:

Perhaps. Would you say this also applies to two similar games coming out at the same time?

This has been observed in cinema and video games quite a few times. I don't have data or knowledge as to whether or not one reference did hurt the other.

Comes to mind: Snowhite and Snowhite and the Hunter ; Antz and whatever-the-english-name-of-that-pixar-movie-was...

EDIT: fun times are few, and typos everywhere!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
ex1st wrote:
motoyugota wrote:

This has been observed in cinema and video games quite a fun times. I don't have data or knowledge as to whether or not one reference did hurt the other.

Comes to mind: Snowhite and Snowhite and the Hunter ; Antz and whatever-the-english-name-of-that-pixar-movie-was...

A Bug's Life

And I would say that quality will win out even then (as was the case with the two bug-themed movies for sure).

But at the same time, if you are going to put out a game very similar to a game coming out from a big publisher, it would definitely be smart to consider delaying it a bit, and also making sure there's enough to differentiate the two games so yours stands out in some way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Not a developer, but I would think that the nature of the game might have a bit to do with it, right?

If you're selling a $100 box full of plastic, then your game is likely to be outclassed by the big boys in comparison. If you're selling a $20 filler card game, then I wouldn't think it would be likely to be competing so directly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not both?

I think CMON may be increasing the amount of people who donate through kickstarter. Maybe some of these will go on to back other games?

At the same time, kickstarter is marketing. Chris - your game may be a bit small and a bit weird compared to what CMON is going to put out - but you've been hitting the pavement for a while drumming up support, and just like CMON have brought along some of that audience you've built to the campaign. I think that CMON or not, this is something that has to be done now to succeed.

You are also helped by having a unique product that differentiates itself - if someone can afford to back both products there is no reason they shouldn't.

Part of marketing is making the product that fits in the market as it is. This means making games that fit in a world with CMON. If you are trying to make an area control game with minis, you will probably have to work a bit harder than you would in a world without them.

But that's OK. Competition leads to better games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.