Patrick Tumpane
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Hi all!

My mates and I are going to attempt the 4th Edition Variant where the fellowship begins in the Shire, Gandalf trapped in Orthanc etc.

I wanted to reach out here and see if we can get any further tips from veterans who have tried this already.

I know that several users have been involved, and we will be sure to post our experience with this as a 4 player game once we're done.

Rafamir, Teamjimmby? You guys tried this yet?

Thanks all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Tumpane
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I should add that we will be using the new beautiful Anniversary Edition board w/ Fubar Awol's amazing 3d printed strongholds. Should be a real good time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are those AWOL items?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Hostert
Luxembourg
Hassel
flag msg tools
Where can I find rules for that variant? Never heard about this one ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would take a look at this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/19164119. There are also links to files in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Tumpane
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Yep, that is the variant we used.
Ultimately, the playthru was fun and different, but it was a slog, and definitely unbalanced with four players.

The nazgulast not being able to join saruman forces was a big problem, especially when we considered if southron elites get leader status via saruman, can nazgulook join them?

Our solution was to not use southron elites as leaders, but allowed nazgul to join.

The varisn't really tipped the balance for the free people as we were not able to catch the fsp a single time before rivendell, and the lack of action die meant that while we didn't get in great positions, the fp had mustered at least 1 elite in almost every pivotal stronghold.

We probably won't attempt again, but glad we tried

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yosef Bender

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my variant the hobbits always start in the Shire, but the Council of the ring is decided by the elves and can be in any of the Elvin locations. So the shadow player doesn't ever know where the hobbits are heading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.