Subject: Dragon Solo Play - Easy is too easy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew F
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hello!

My girlfriend and I, along with three of our friends, were lucky enough to demo a five player game of Vast: The Crystal Caverns this weekend at PAX East in Boston. We really enjoyed the game and picked up a copy right away.

We definitely look forward to getting our friends together and adventuring into the cave together. Until we can get everybody together though, we planned on playing some 2 player and solo variant games.

We're running into a bit of an issue though with the solo version (Alone in the Dark) when playing as the Dragon, which is that it seems way too easy. I feel like we must be missing something though... Especially based on some of the other posts we've read here.

Maybe the easy mode (which we started with while learning) is just too easy?

If I understand the rules correctly, just revealing tiles with events on them is enough to fulfill the 'Pride' sloth tile requirements, correct? We seemed to reveal enough of those quick enough, along with a few treasure tiles for 'Greed', that we could wake the dragon in very few turns...

I read through the rule book, and I can't really find any negative consequences for the dragon in the solo game... I must be missing something though.

Any help is appreciated! We really do love the game, and know we'll have tons of fun with it with our friends. Just feeling confused w/ this specific variant.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy mode for the Dragon is very easy.

However, a few important things to keep in mind:

1) You can only clear one Pride per turn from revealing Event tiles. You don't get any bonus credit for revealing multiples in a single turn.

2) Even though Pride has three different options, you can still only clear one cube per turn. That means if you reveal an event, you cannot also clear the single cube for not moving or for placing a gem.

3) You can only pick up Treasures at the end of your turn, after you've finished moving and using other abilities.

4) There are no Goblins to eat in solo, so you'll have to use Slither to move those cubes to other categories. Starting with all four of those cubes in Hunger (instead of moving some to Wakefulness) will force you to use Slither a couple times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
msg tools
So, I have to admit myself I haven't done solo Dragon yet (it's the only solo I haven't done yet). But my feeling from my own solo plays is that solo mode Standard difficulty is like a walkthrough for the character that will likely win unless real bad luck. You need hard or expert to really have a game you could lose. I've never even touched Easy but, while I don't want to discount the use of the two easier difficulties for the more novice players, if you're the type of person who takes the time to go to PAX and uses that time to demo and purchase board games, those modes are likely going to be all but impossible to lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon b
United States
flag msg tools
Woelf wrote:
Easy mode for the Dragon is very easy.

However, a few important things to keep in mind:

1) You can only clear one Pride per turn from revealing Event tiles. You don't get any bonus credit for revealing multiples in a single turn.

2) Even though Pride has three different options, you can still only clear one cube per turn. That means if you reveal an event, you cannot also clear the single cube for not moving or for placing a gem.

3) You can only pick up Treasures at the end of your turn, after you've finished moving and using other abilities.

4) There are no Goblins to eat in solo, so you'll have to use Slither to move those cubes to other categories. Starting with all four of those cubes in Hunger (instead of moving some to Wakefulness) will force you to use Slither a couple times.

per 4) i was just playing dragon solo (misunderstood difficulty concerning hunger track cube placement to wakefulness at first, but was sorted before start)

while i was reading rules and thinking of strategies/tactics to move hunger, it looked like i could use "hiss" to eat 1 goblin and maybe even "claw" powers to eat more goblin... i was gonna ask how to resolve "claw" but since i was playing easy, i figured i'd research later. that's now, so you are saying those 2 powers arent available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
global_dev wrote:
while i was reading rules and thinking of strategies/tactics to move hunger, it looked like i could use "hiss" to eat 1 goblin and maybe even "claw" powers to eat more goblin... i was gonna ask how to resolve "claw" but since i was playing easy, i figured i'd research later. that's now, so you are saying those 2 powers arent available?
They're available only when there's a Goblin player, because they require a target. You can't eat when there's nothing to eat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.