Rick Noetzel
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I only own the core set and followed the Learn To Play guide with Roland, solo. I played the first scenario several times to get a feel for the cards, etc. I own a a ton of LOTR, so LCGs and deckbuilding aren't new to me.

Then I decided to give the campaign a try.

In summation: I saw the game walking down the street and asked it "Hey, game, what are you carrying?" It replied "Your ass. Here, let me hand it to you." And then it did.

The first scenario was not good. I got cocky killing the rats when the serious ghouls showed up, along with one of my weaknesses. I got smacked around and took a very quick horror loss. Lily lambasted me for not killing the priest, not destroying my house, global warming, her flat Diet Coke -- damn near everything she could think of. I upgraded my deck with the 3 XP I'd earned and carried on.

The second scenario showed why Roland should have remained a barista. The first encounter card drawn was a locked door and I proceeded to spend two turns trying to open the damn door to my house*. Meanwhile cultists were running wild in the streets. I got out of my house with a machete and 3 weakness cards (yes, I drew the encounter card that had me add another weakness to my deck - which I promptly drew).

I got rid of one weakness, just in time for Dissonant Voices.

I was toast - I'd killed one named cultist by the time the scenario was over. Only 2 XP.

The third scenario was going along quite badly until things suddenly got worse. I had my three clues when I had to face the five surviving cultists that I didn't kill in scenario two. Nothing says 'cakewalk' like a 5v1 battle. While dealing with them, the big, bad guy showed up and, since he's (it's?) a hunter, he came to find me. I tossed Lily to him as a distraction, consulted a map of the U.S., and moved to New Mexico.

As poorly as I played, this was immensely fun. I could never seem to get myself sorted out and get a coherent strategy going. I'm tweaking this build a little before I try Roland again. In the meantime, I'm trying again tomorrow as a different investigator.

*There's only one -4 chit in the bag. I know this logically, but c'mon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Wellcome to the Horror!

goo

My first game was Also total annihilation, but second run was much better...
Dr. Milan Christopher, Magnifying class and dynamite along a lot of ammo Are Feds best friends!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickn99 wrote:
I had my three clues when I had to face the five surviving cultists that I didn't kill in scenario two. Nothing says 'cakewalk' like a 5v1 battle.

The solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
rickn99 wrote:
I had my three clues when I had to face the five surviving cultists that I didn't kill in scenario two. Nothing says 'cakewalk' like a 5v1 battle.

The solution.

This is an option if you are playing the a "Guardian" class. Zoey did it before the smote the heck out of a group of Ghouls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
rickn99 wrote:
II got out of my house with a machete and 3 weakness cards (yes, I drew the encounter card that had me add another weakness to my deck - which I promptly drew).

You mean the Yellow Sign? That's only supposed to be in the third scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
krechevskoy wrote:
This is an option if you are playing the a "Guardian" class. Zoey did it before the smote the heck out of a group of Ghouls.

He was using Roland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Noetzel
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
krechevskoy wrote:

He was using Roland.

Yeah, the explosives would have made a world of difference. I had then in scenario 2 but no real chance to use them. I never saw that card in the final scenario.

When the five cultists popped up I had nothing but hand weapons. Time was flying so I "Leeeeeroy Jenkins!"'d the lot of them. That was when I learned about evading/fighting multiple enemies.

If I had to do it again I'd hold off and spend a turn or two just drawing cards to get the explosives. But I wasn't sure what would happen when the clock ran out, so I chose the foolish aggressive option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Małecki
Poland
Oława
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that might not be so obvious: throwing Lita to the goo is NOT a Parley action, which means the monster in question would activate Attack of Opportunity. Only when you survive that attack the action is considered succesful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.