BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Blood Rage or Troyes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Theodore Moffett
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I have heard great praise for both games and I am wondering which game is the better option. I really like worker placement games but I also enjoy drafting. I haven't had too much experience with area control so I can't speak about my preference on that. Also, I am not necessarily sure if the miniatures would be counted as a positive or negative in my book as I have had very little experience with them... I used to own Cyclades (kinda counts) and I guess the little guys were kinda cool.

Both seem to be about the right game length. I do play 2 players quite frequently with my wife and I read that Troyes is pretty good with 2, while Blood Rage is just okay. Also, price for each game is comparable.

Can anyone give me any recommendations between the two? Thanks so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Rage is stunning, component-wise. The Monster minis are out of this world, and really shouldn't even be called minis they are so big. The game play is cool, and the drafting is cool. BUT, my guess is it would be somewhat flat with 2. And my only real concern about the game is the sameness of strategies from game to game; your strategies are based on the card you draft and there aren't that many types. I would have liked more variety to keep the game fresh, but if you don't plan on playing it a ton, it's probably still really good. The game definitely shines with the meta, but that requires a little dedication to get there in a group. It's a good game (a 7 to me) that is improved to an 8 because of its awesome minis.

Troyes has nowhere near the wow factor. But it does have a ton of variability in each game, and a lot of different resources and tracks to fight over. It will play way better with 2. BUT, it's got a mean streak and there is direct screwage, AND it's harsh with the events (so harsh that my group lost affection for it). I suppose Blood Rage has that, too. But it feels meaner in a classy Euro somehow. Between the two, I think Troyes has more longevity. It's really an impressive design - you are constantly balancing going for your objectives vs spending resources fighting off bad events, and with multiple players, it's a glorious game of chicken. I'd rate this a 9 brought down to a 7.5 or 8 due to harshness and unforgiveability from the events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Long
United States
Auburn
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're quite different from one another. Tough to draw comparisons.

Troyes is a deep and involved Euro with dice and worker placement/displacement.

Blood Rage is a much lighter minis-heavy card drafting and area control game.

I own both, and, for my group, Troyes takes the cake. The artwork is unique and interesting, and the dice-driven gameplay is meaningful and engaging. We found Blood Rage to be fun a few times, but then very "samey."

Not sure if that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JS
Germany
North Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyes is an excellent dice/worker placement game, especially for two players. Its replay value is high. If you like wp games you really should get a copy of this one with its expansion.
For a stronger area control element try Scythe, Age of Empires, Empires, Alien Frontiers, or Euphoria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get both! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Belfort is a great euro with worker placement and area control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
These games are so different, it's like asking should you eat chocolate or lobster. Both are delicious, depends on your mood!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyes will be a much better game for 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.