Popular Tags: [View All]
Clay Bundy
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you go for the Recruiting Girl first? Or do you hire someone else and rush for a specific milestone?
I've only got about 4 games under my belt and I find myself picking the Recruiting Girl first every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Glimme
United States
California
flag msg tools
Recruiting girl is the go to starting opening. Trainer first can work well against players with lower experience, but is usually beatable by a recruiting girl opening from an experienced player. I have seen arguments for marketer and errand boy first. They are usually only discussed for highly specific board setups though.

I have had success with recruiting girl first followed by errand boy and trainer second turn, giving up on 'first to hire three' bonus. This lets you target a mid-game strategy by grabbing an exclusive milestone (assuming everyone else is going recruiting girl first). This one is risky since you are giving up a lot of late game potential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel L
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Errand Boy first for the extra drink and refrigerator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Pinkley
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
A rulebook a day keeps the AP away.
badge
Imagine all the people living for today.
mbmbmbmbmb
Recruiting Girl is the gold standard but there are definitely a wide variety of options for good players.

That said, Trainer is objectively the most powerful opener if the reserve is low as you can kill the bank before any Recruiting Girl opponents can get online. If reserve is maxed out and your opponents are able to anticipate the full Trainer aggro plan and if they have favorable routes on board though, going that route will screw you over hard if they're actually able to stabilize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaphariGames wrote:
Recruiting Girl is the gold standard but there are definitely a wide variety of options for good players.

That said, Trainer is objectively the most powerful opener if the reserve is low as you can kill the bank before any Recruiting Girl opponents can get online. If reserve is maxed out and your opponents are able to anticipate the full Trainer aggro plan and if they have favorable routes on board though, going that route will screw you over hard if they're actually able to stabilize.

There are already a few threads discussing openings. Trainer is certainly a good opening, but not "objectively most powerful". It is actually very tricky, if all other players are playing recruiting girl. I would even say that everybody taking recruiting girl is a Nash equilibrium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8bg
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SaphariGames wrote:
...there are definitely a wide variety of options for good players.

And an even wider variety for bad players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aljoša Vizovišek
Slovenia
Žalec
Savinjska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ringo84 wrote:
Trainer is certainly a good opening, but not "objectively most powerful". It is actually very tricky, if all other players are playing recruiting girl. I would even say that everybody taking recruiting girl is a Nash equilibrium.

Really? I love hiring a trainer when all other players take recruiting girl. If I would also take recruiting girl, we would all compete for milestones. With trainer I can take the best employees, so I have more of an edge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
I go Recruiting Girl or Trainer, depending on the board. Errand Boy is a somewhat distant third, although, I've seen some interesting strategies with that opening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've so far always gotten a recruiting girl, and then another recruiting girl and a trainer next, and then you can get the "3 recruits in one turn" and the "First to train" milestones on the third turn -- provided nobody else got the trainer in the first turn, that is.

The "First to train" bonus seems so strong to me. In the first game I played, I messed up and didn't get it (as the only player) and it was so hard to compensate, even though it allowed me to get the fridge instead (not worth it in comparison).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skywide wrote:
ringo84 wrote:
Trainer is certainly a good opening, but not "objectively most powerful". It is actually very tricky, if all other players are playing recruiting girl. I would even say that everybody taking recruiting girl is a Nash equilibrium.

Really? I love hiring a trainer when all other players take recruiting girl. If I would also take recruiting girl, we would all compete for milestones. With trainer I can take the best employees, so I have more of an edge.

Do your opponents get the First to Pay 20 in Salaries milestone by turn 6? Because that's what I do when I don't get the First to Train milestone. At that point I hope you already trained the key employee you wanted cause your training advantage is gone.

I agree with Ringo (who by the way won the FCM tournament last year)- Trainer opening can win but it's definitely tricky and less versatile than RG opening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel Opportunity
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Are there any videos of the FCM tournament? Was it done on BGC?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still pretty new at this game, so forgive the (possibly) ignorant question, but I'm having trouble understanding how hiring a trainer in the first round would be a good move.

I get that you can train someone the next round immediately after hiring them, but you wouldn't have any income to pay their salary at that point. Wouldn't you just end up having to fire them?

I'm an idiot. I was thinking that the $15 salary discount came when you trained multiple people. I was confusing it with the First To Hire 3 People In 1 Turn milestone.

Never mind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.