The Palace of Mad King Ludwig» Forums » General

Subject: So Carcassonne with more elaborate scoring? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brendan Michaud
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Based on the small info from the screenshots on their website and the info in the description, it sounds like Carcassonne, or Carcassonne:The Castle,but with more elaborate scoring. Anyone have any details yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Miranda
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BipolarMonkey wrote:
Based on the small info from the screenshots on their website and the info in the description, it sounds like Carcassonne, or Carcassonne:The Castle,but with more elaborate scoring. Anyone have any details yet?

It really seems like Carcassonne. I'd like to know as well if we can play the game with Castles. Such as we can play Alhambra and Granada together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Michaud
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The back of the box shown on their website makes me think not. It looks like they are all square pieces. No right angles, no rectangles, and no circle pieces.

I think that choice is to ensure the tiles are placed in a way that the moat will always be completed and signal game-end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoebe Wild
Australia
South Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
publisher
Cardboard Vault Reviews!
badge
mbmbmbmb
All of the room tiles in Palace are square

BipolarMonkey wrote:
Anyone have any details yet?

As one of King Ludwig's architects, you're trying to contribute the most to the design of the palace by building and completing rooms, earning swan tokens, and earning favours for meeting certain conditions that the King wants.

On your turn, you'll get to choose a room from the display to build in the palace, with some of the available rooms costing swan tokens from your supply (worth points at the end of the game).

As the Palace is built up, players will also have to place moat tiles which will slowly start to surround the rooms. Once the moat is completed, the game ends and the best architect wins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palau Life
msg tools
Some people on the Reddit boardgames subreddit have played it. One had this to say:

nat wrote:

I had the chance to try this game out in prototype form during BGGCon '16. Judging purely from the back of the box, it looks like I played a version that was very close to finalized form.

Essentially it's a simpler (more "streamlined"?) version of Castles of Mad King Ludwig (which I love) with square tiles and a communal palace that everyone builds together. Gone are the Master Builder and price fixing elements, instead favoring a more basic tile selection and placement method. On your turn you choose your tile from several piles and add it into the palace. Depending on the room type, you get unique bonuses (most being very familiar to CoMKL). You also get swan tokens for set collection if you're able to match entrance/exits of like colors.

Then, in what I thought was the most interesting aspect of the game, you are forced to play a number of moat tiles (can't remember how many) around the perimeter of the palace. The moat tiles act as the game timer-- once they connect to encircle the palace, the game ends-- but also can be used to block off unfinished rooms, prolong the game, rush the end, etc etc. Really neat!

My initial impression was a positive one. It was just different enough that I'll probably pick up a copy and own it alongside CoMKL, but that's because I love the theme and tile placement in general. That said, I could see many people feeling it's too similar to its older brother. Fun fact!: Ted Alspach said that Palace came about from experimenting with trying to make a Castles of Mad King Ludwig: The Card Game. Personally, I think he went in the right direction. The set up was certainly much quicker, and the pacing was nice and speedy. The room scoring also seemed a little less finnicky, so I'd probably introduce Palace to new players before I introduced Castles. I can definitely see there being plenty of room for fun (and even cutthroat) strategy in where and when you place both your rooms and moats in relation to other peoples'. I'm excited to see what all has changed from the version I played and the final release.

edit: I called him Ted Bezier instead of Alspach. Which would actually be a great movie star name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

My initial impression was a positive one. It was just different enough that I'll probably pick up a copy and own it alongside CoMKL, but that's because I love the theme and tile placement in general. That said, I could see many people feeling it's too similar to its older brother. Fun fact!: Ted Alspach said that Palace came about from experimenting with trying to make a Castles of Mad King Ludwig: The Card Game. Personally, I think he went in the right direction. The set up was certainly much quicker, and the pacing was nice and speedy. The room scoring also seemed a little less finnicky, so I'd probably introduce Palace to new players before I introduced Castles. I can definitely see there being plenty of room for fun (and even cutthroat) strategy in where and when you place both your rooms and moats in relation to other peoples'. I'm excited to see what all has changed from the version I played and the final release.

I was always interested in the idea of CoMKL, but the many ways to score and tiny icons ultimately put me off. If Palaces is focused more on spatial aspects and less on mathing out points, I am in! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't the moat as a timer the same as the wall in Carcassonne Cities?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brown
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing this from Reddit, My Wife loves tile placement games and I'm definitely pre-ordering this once its available! this blurb gave me confidence that this will be enjoyed by my wife the non-gamer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palau Life
msg tools
psbrown1989 wrote:
Thanks for sharing this from Reddit, My Wife loves tile placement games and I'm definitely pre-ordering this once its available! this blurb gave me confidence that this will be enjoyed by my wife the non-gamer!

Your welcome! I hope she enjoys it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
Isn't the moat as a timer the same as the wall in Carcassonne Cities?

Several things about this sound like Carcassonne: The City. It's my favorite version of Carcassonne so that's not necessarily a bad thing to me. But I definitely see a huge comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy Love
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eww... the thought that it is similar to Carcassonne definitely takes it off my purchase list. Not a big fan of tile laying games, but CoMKL and Gingkopolis are my two exceptions so far. Every game and version of Carcassonne I've played I did not like. Everybody has their things and there are lot of games available...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
I was always interested in the idea of CoMKL, but the many ways to score and tiny icons ultimately put me off. If Palaces is focused more on spatial aspects and less on mathing out points, I am in! meeple

You shouldn't give up on buying CoMKL, there are many ways to score but not too many! And scoring in this game is one of its greatest assets, this is not a flaw. Try it, it's not too complex...and icons are colour-related
PS. I've been playing polish version: tiles are less legible in this version but it is not game-breaking at all! Getting used to icons and colours is fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.