29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

High Frontier (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Question about Glory cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sawyer E
msg tools
Received my copy of the game today and was reading through the numerous rulebooks, but as I tried to set everything up, I got a little confused with Glory cards.

The Training Guide says there are 4 Glory cards. The Colonization book says there are 5. I seem to have 6, and one of them is "blank".

There's the Neptune, Jupiter, Mars, and Mercury ones. Those are easy. Then there is Heroism. Is that considered a Glory card? At least it has a description of how to use it. And lastly there is a card "Doomsayers of the Gods" that has a science symbol at the top, but no other text on it like the rest do. If I had to guess, do I just have to bring a crew to a science site and back to earth for it, and it's still worth the normal 3 VP of all the others? And that applies to the back side as well, which also only has a name but no descriptive rules text.

I tried googling but couldn't find anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
The spirit of BGG as expressed by Esgaldil: "We lose nothing by trying to be helpful"
mbmbmbmbmb
The glory cards are described on page 18 of the reference guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is there no text on a Doomsayer card? There should have been some. In general, there are 6 glory cards. Heroism is a glory that can be claimed by voting. For two players in a competitive play it is useless unless players agree before the game on what contributes a streak of a bad luck or a great achievement.
I personally suggest solving Heroism for 2 players as:
- the amount of failed hazard rolls
- the amount of first manned visits to astrobiology/ocean/TNO locations
Whoever scores the greater amount, wins the glory at the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sawyer E
msg tools
BitJam wrote:
The glory cards are described on page 18 of the reference guide.

Thanks! I'll check it out. I had looked, but that book isn't very well indexed for a reference.

improove wrote:
Is there no text on a Doomsayer card? There should have been some. In general, there are 6 glory cards. Heroism is a glory that can be claimed by voting. For two players in a competitive play it is useless unless players agree before the game on what contributes a streak of a bad luck or a great achievement.
I personally suggest solving Heroism for 2 players as:
- the amount of failed hazard rolls
- the amount of first manned visits to astrobiology/ocean/TNO locations
Whoever scores the greater amount, wins the glory at the end of the game.

Mine definitely does not have any text on either side other than the name, flavor text and the science/TNO symbol at the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mb
Looks like a misprint. We all got it wrong. Crap. Here's what it should look like:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sawyer E
msg tools
Luckily it's easy enough to figure out/remember from what IS on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United States
Hiram
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Or sleeve the cards and insert correct copy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
The spirit of BGG as expressed by Esgaldil: "We lose nothing by trying to be helpful"
mbmbmbmbmb
Deo1 wrote:
Thanks! I'll check it out. I had looked, but that book isn't very well indexed for a reference.

I enjoy reading dead-tree rule books and I don't want to give them up but when I want to find something in particular I do a search in the pdf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh poor Doomsayer glory. Are you the only misprint out there? (apart for the credit misprint on the Exomigration section which should be Exomigration & Exploration section done by two dudes, not one). And the misprint of the amount of players the game is for (I strongly suggest 1-5 not 2-5 since Interstellar is there!).
Don't worry, Doomsayer glory. I will help you by printing reference sheets and making additional amateur cards when extending the game with p'n'p Exploration and Visions content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
badge
improove wrote:
Oh poor Doomsayer glory. Are you the only misprint out there? (apart for the credit misprint on the Exomigration section which should be Exomigration & Exploration section done by two dudes, not one). And the misprint of the amount of players the game is for (I strongly suggest 1-5 not 2-5 since Interstellar is there!).
Don't worry, Doomsayer glory. I will help you by printing reference sheets and making additional amateur cards when extending the game with p'n'p Exploration and Visions content.

Has anyone raised the issue with OSS yet? I'm sure they would want to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've also heard that the credit for Interstellar might contain a mistake. I don't have a physical copy yet - please check, who does have a copy - if there is correctly credited for Neal Sofge and Andrew Doull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Poor Search for CUDOS glory. You are also misprinted. Now people will have to memorize cards. Glory/Ventures reference sheet for Base/Colonization will definitely help, as helped the Exploration Module Reference Sheet. I will upload these soon. The more players will use reference sheets, the more chance they will try the Exploration module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raoul Duke
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
We can't stop here. This is bat country!
mbmbmbmbmb
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:
Has anyone raised the issue with OSS yet? I'm sure they would want to know.

I sent them an e-mail about this yesterday. They know it's an issue, but don't know whether it's universal, or only applies to some copies. Based on what I've been hearing in the other thread, it sounds like it's universal.

improove wrote:
I've also heard that the credit for Interstellar might contain a mistake. I don't have a physical copy yet - please check, who does have a copy - if there is correctly credited for Neal Sofge and Andrew Doull.

On my copy, Andrew Doull is credited as a playtester. Neal's name does not appear at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Uncle Duke wrote:
On my copy, Andrew Doull is credited as a playtester. Neal's name does not appear at all.

What a mess. Me (Exploration Module), Andrew (Interstellar and one of the guides) and Neal (Interstellar) are sad victims of misprints in credits.
Long live the correct Living Rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
By the way, some might guess what CUDO means without having the proper text. The only CUDO reference on the map is Saturn's tiny moon Methone. However it is not a TNO despite the explicit label.
I tried to address this issue. In the Exploration Module Methone might randomly (1/3) become a TNO site so that Search for CUDO's has a tiny chance of succeess (better try with a buggy) on the CUDO moon.
Paradoxally this tiny moon seems to be in a hydrostatic equilibrium (perfect geoid shape) despide being so small and thus defies some classifications for dwarf planets or major moons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Moore
United States
San Dimas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition, maybe I'm nitpicking here, but it should say, "A CUDO"and not "An CUDO."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just came in to say I do not have this issue, my glory cards are all printed correctly, including this one, so it's not an universal issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zlarp wrote:
Just came in to say I do not have this issue, my glory cards are all printed correctly, including this one, so it's not an universal issue.

I like to think of our misprinted copies as a unique quirk that enhances collector value. Kind of like those misprinted celebration stamps that were corrected after a few thousand samples and now the misprinted stamps are more valuable than the normal ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colmenarez wrote:
Zlarp wrote:

I like to think of our misprinted copies as a unique quirk that enhances collector value. Kind of like those misprinted celebration stamps that were corrected after a few thousand samples and now the misprinted stamps are more valuable than the normal ones.

Nah, your copies are just broken and our complete ones are worth way more! Let this be an arms race amongst resellers!

Though I'm not actually going to sell this, although prices on the Geek Market are already pretty dang high. I just played a learning game against myself yesterday and it's awesome and way, *way* simpler than people make it out to be. Well, at least the basic game. A 4.77 in heaviness? Puhleaze, I think not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zlarp wrote:
I just played a learning game against myself yesterday and it's awesome and way, *way* simpler than people make it out to be. Well, at least the basic game. A 4.77 in heaviness? Puhleaze, I think not.

Ha, now add all the modules. The amount of rules that are added are not that significant, but the decision space increases exponentially.

Seriously though, it's certainly heavy on the Eurogame scale - I've certainly seen Agricola and even Race for the Galaxy(!) called "heavy" eurogames before now - but there are many more complex wargames out there.

The main thing with High Frontier, as with all of Phil's games, is that they tend to be *hard*. It's usually a genuine challenge to plan a decent mission, develop a microorganism or have your group of hunters survive the Ice Age. I can understand how the rules can be difficult to grasp, but I certainly don't think they've ever been as bad as some claim. My opinion, obviously, but I didn't have anyone to teach me, and no-one I've taught has had massive problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Domfluff wrote:
Zlarp wrote:
I just played a learning game against myself yesterday and it's awesome and way, *way* simpler than people make it out to be. Well, at least the basic game. A 4.77 in heaviness? Puhleaze, I think not.

Ha, now add all the modules. The amount of rules that are added are not that significant, but the decision space increases exponentially.

Seriously though, it's certainly heavy on the Eurogame scale - I've certainly seen Agricola and even Race for the Galaxy(!) called "heavy" eurogames before now - but there are many more complex wargames out there.

The main thing with High Frontier, as with all of Phil's games, is that they tend to be *hard*. It's usually a genuine challenge to plan a decent mission, develop a microorganism or have your group of hunters survive the Ice Age. I can understand how the rules can be difficult to grasp, but I certainly don't think they've ever been as bad as some claim. My opinion, obviously, but I didn't have anyone to teach me, and no-one I've taught has had massive problems.

I mean, sure, I give it that it's probably heavier than an Agricola. But I don't think it's heavier than let's say Mage Knight. Maybe all the space terminology that seems like it's there deliberately to obfuscate how simple the game is pushes the weight rating up? I really don't know.

As for how challenging Mr. Eklund's games are. I don't know. I've had a different experience with them. I've played Pax Renaissance and Origins: How We Became Human. Especially Origins felt like it was more luck focused, and for Pax Renaissance... I think luck is a significant part in that, though you have a lot more agency and I'd say a significant part of the challenge comes from the diplomacy, not fighting game mechanics. I'd say 2 player games of Pax Renaissance are mostly decided by luck, at least the ones we played. Maybe I'd need to play more of them, but the ones I did play kind of soured me on it. I still love the game, but not as a game for 2.

High Frontier seems a lot less luck based though. Almost everything is calculable. Maybe the closest Eklund game to a multiplayer solitaire euro I've seen, though of course the auctions and other negotiations still add some spice, and I hear there's a combat module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played both MK and High Frontier a fair amount, I'd say the weights are similar. MK causes me to juggle a lot now, but I don't get headaches. Still getting a few headaches with HF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
High Frontier is certainly near luck-less, or at least one has control over 99% of the risk you're willing to take. That's a large reason why it's so special.

Origins was in many ways dominated by it's card draws and die rolls - you could certainly lose that for no fault of your own (going into chaos twice in a row was devastating). Origins was a hugely ambitious game, but something of a messy one, especially compared to the later titles. I'm curious to see what happens with the sequel next year, since BIOS:Megafauna 2 has changed so drastically.

I don't think I agree that the Pax games are luck dependant at all - reading the game state is the challenge (there's a massive amount of information overload), but you have perfect information, and the tempo is such that (assuming processing this information perfectly) you should have the tools to prevent anyone from sneaking in with a victory. That's definitely not the experience of a new player though, and not the experience of the first two or three two-player games we played of Pax Ren.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HF is luckless? That's absurd.

Sure, you can decide how much risk to take, and you can pay your way out of a variety of potential disasters. But there are still some rolls you have to make, no matter how much you've mitigated the chances of them going wrong. More to the point, you won't ever win if you don't take chances, because some other player will move fast than you by being more reckless. Luck has a lot to do with the overall outcomes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Domfluff wrote:
High Frontier is certainly near luck-less, or at least one has control over 99% of the risk you're willing to take.

Emphasis is mine. Like in wargames, players can choose how much to push their luck in the hope of achieving success. The race makes it a sometimes difficult choice, but it remains the player doing the choosing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.