Hide
1 Posts

TKG ARENA: Shrine Wars» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Early Bird Catches the Worm rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jermaine Lok
msg tools
In Shrine Wars, a player’s position in the game order may be of significant importance in the bidding process and may greatly impact the strategy the player would employ.

As per my overall strategy title, I believe in being aggressive in my initial bids and collecting an array of cards, thus, cementing an advantageous position early in the game.

Discussed below are my proposed strategies to win Shrine Wars.

Early Game
Strategy 1a: Bid a Unit Value of 0 in the first round of Bidding

If I am the first player, my first bid will be an outright bid of 10 oinks.

Advantage:
As everyone starts the game with 10 oinks per element, the first bid of 10 is the highest bid possible for that element. Should the next card drawn from the deck be from the same element, I would have earned myself 2 Cards for only 10 oinks as no one else would be able to outbid me.

Disadvantage:
Bidding a 10 means that a card must be drawn from the pile. Thus, I will be risking a significant possibility of another element being drawn. In this case, the next player will have the opportunity to outbid me (by bidding 20 oinks - 10 oinks from each element) and getting the cards for themselves if the following card drawn is of the same elements already drawn.
However, if the subsequent card drawn is of a different element, this possibility will continue until the cards drawn are of the same elements or the bid become unbeatable.

If I am not the starting player, given that the others before me place a bid lower than 10 oinks, I will apply the same strategy and bid to the 10s, meaning if the bid is now 11 oinks, I will bid 20 oinks and so forth.

This strategy is largely reliant on the playing style and strategy of the other players and if they share the same intent on bidding to the 10s. In this case, my position in the game order may be critical to the outcome of this strategy.

Strategy 1b: Win Cards of various Face Values
Whilst bidding, I will try to accumulate cards of various face values while applying my previous strategy of bidding to the 10s as best as I can.

Advantage:
By collecting breath as opposed to depth of face values, i will be able to earn more oinks when players bid with unit values of the cards in my possession; as the chances of their bids falling among the range of my cards is higher.
Furthermore, by bidding in 10s, my successful bid pool will be shared evenly among the players and not awarded to a single player. Hence, I would not be putting any particular player in a more favourable bidding position.

Disadvantage:
My bidding ability will be limited by the cards in my possession. For example, if I hold cards with face value 3, I will not be able to place bids with unit values of 3 (i.e. 3, 13, 23 etc.). However, this disadvantage is negated if I accumulate sufficient oinks to bid in 10s, as per my original strategy, as there are no cards with a Face Value of 0.
Another disadvantage is that players will purposely bid values of the cards that I do not possess hence limiting my oink earning ability.

The overall concept for these strategies is to not be afraid of bidding big (i.e. going all in with 10 oinks) and outbidding the other players to secure as many cards as possible for the least number of oinks right from the beginning. The more cards I collect early on will increase my chances of receiving the bid pool and prevent the sharing of the bid pool amongst players. In doing so, the initial high bids pay off as I will be able to earn oinks later on to improve my bidding capabilities and additionally win more cards.

Particularly when playing with new players, they will tend to be cautious and want to save their oinks for the rest of the game. In this case, such an aggressive starting bid strategy has a high chance of success.

Mid Game
Strategy: Force Your Opponent’s Hand

While playing the game, it is important to not only be aware of the cards that your opponents have acquired but their existing oink pot as well.

Advantage:
By observing their cards and oinks available, I can manipulate the bids to either force them to bid a larger amount or force them into bidding to my advantage (e.g. bid coincides with face value of cards that are in my possession or bid with unit values that no one has so that the bid pool is equally split and I earn oinks).
It is also important to be observant, especially if I have accumulated a large number of oinks of a particular element. In this case, should that element card be drawn, I will know what is the maximum oinks my opponents are able to bid and I can outbid them with the least number of oinks required thus saving oinks for another card.

Mid/End Game
Strategy: Value for Oinks

As the winning criteria of Shine Wars is to accumulate the most Influence Points, players will ideally collect sets (i.e. pairs, triplets, running numbers etc.) as the points are compounded for every card added to a set.

At this point in the game, I would have hopefully collected a decent variety of face value cards that earns me oinks and I am able to start considering collecting sets.

I must be wise in how I spend my oinks and evaluate if the cards are worth my current bid.
What I mean by this is, given I presently possess cards with Face Value 1,3,4,5, and:
(1) There is a current bid of 25 oinks for a card of Face Value 8;
(2) There is a current bid of 39 oinks for cards with Face Values 2, 3;
(3) There is a current bid of 39 oinks for cards with Face Values 1,3,7;
It is clear in this situation that winning Option 2 would be more worth my oinks spent as it value adds more to my existing deck - I will have a pair of 3s (4 points) and a set of running numbers (25 points). This obviously earns me more influence points than just a card of face value 8 (1 point) or even a pair of 1s and 3s and a single card of 7 (9 points total).

Looking at the bigger picture, I must also be observant of my opponent’s deck. Option 1 may be a smart play if I am trying to prevent an opponent from accumulating another Card of value 8 that would propel him to overtake me in the race for influence points near the end of the game.

Strategy: Keep/Accumulate Valuable Oinks
The element cards are exhaustive, as there are only 9 cards per element. This means that nearing the end of the game, most cards would have already been acquired by players. At this point, the oinks of the elements that have yet to be drawn become much more valuable.

For example, if all 9 UKELELE cards have appeared, UKELELE oinks become less valuable as they will no longer be used in the bidding. This is as compared to OHIF cards where 6 cards have appeared. In this case, OHIF oinks become extremely valuable as they will be required to bid for the remaining 3 cards.

It will be in my best interest to accumulate oinks of these elusive elements so that when they do appear, I will have sufficient oinks to outbid the other players and hopefully form sets with my existing cards in possession.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.