Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yee Wing Cheung
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not interested in getting everything for this game but just a few things to play casually. Aside from the ISD, CR90 Corellian Corvette, Nebulon B, Home One and such what other ships are part of canon and where did they appear?

Is the Victory Star Destroyer canon? Seen it referenced many times in games but never in a movie, tv show, etc.

Imperial Star Destroyer - A New Hope
CR90 Corellian Corvette - A New Hope
Nebulon B - Empire Strikes Back
Victory Star Destroyer - ?
Interdictor - Star Wars Rebels
Rebel Transports - Empire Strikes Back
Imperial Assault Carriers - Star Wars Rebels
Phoenix Home - Star Wars Rebels?
Gladiator Star Destroyer - ?
Imperial Light Cruiser - Clone Wars?
MC30c Frigate - ?
Imperial Raider - ?
Home One - Return of the Jedi
Liberty - ?
Assault Frigate Mark 2 - ?
May have missed some

When telling me the ship is indeed canon, can you tell me where it appeared?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
The Liberty class cruisers appear in Return of the Jedi. You have to keep your eyes peeled, but there are definitely two distinct classes of Mon Cal cruiser during the Battle of Endor.

Yes, Phoenix Home is from Rebels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Raider was created by FFG for use as an Imperial Epic class ship for X-Wing Miniatures game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Huffstetler
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
The Victory was only in Star Wars Legends books, games, and comics. FFG needed a "smaller" Star Destroyer to start the game off with. In Star Wars lore, the Victory entered late in the Clone Wars and was a heavier ship than the Venator.

I had to look up the Gladiator. Apparently, it appeared in the old "Star Wars: Droids" tv show back in the 90s, which was also admiral Screed's ship. Awesome ships in Armada btw; they hit frickin hard.

The Assault Frigate and MC30 both appeared in Star Wars Empire At War PC strategy game (fantastic game if you haven't played). Both are excellent ships to have in Rebel builds.

Personally though, I like the old-school design of the Assault Frigate from the old X-wing/TIE Fighter games: http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/f/f8/Ass...

The FFG Interdicter (blecch, yuck) is from the Rebels TV show and while it's a cool ship to play with, the model is stupidly over-sized. Plus it looks NOTHING like the original Legends version:
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/1/15/Imm...

Really the Raider is the only ship that FFG invented. Everything else was kinda selectively plucked here and there from both Star Wars Legends and Canon.

I wouldn't base your selection of ships on whether it was canon or not. Figure out what your playing style is and build your fleet around that.

You like to be swashbuckling Rebels moving fast and striking hard? Get CR90s, Neb-Bs, and an Assault Frigate paired with Cracken or Mon Mothma. I wouldn't recommend the Liberty for a starter, definitely get Home One first so you get Ackbar... He is THE powerhouse fleet commander in the entire game!

You like to be the mighty Empire, exterminating dissent? Definitely get an ISD, at least 2 Gladiators (trust me, they are tanky as hell), and just use the Victory that comes with your starter kit..... although the Victory expansion has some mighty nice upgrades you'll eventually want.

I'm still trying to find a better use for the Raider.... I personally wouldn't recommend it for casual games. Nor would I recommend the Interdictor, it depends heavily on support.

That's a lot to digest, hope some of that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the ships listed are now canon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CadetBrick wrote:
The Victory was only in Star Wars Legends books, games, and comics.

Technically incorrect. The Victory-class has been name-dropped in the canon novel 'Tarkin'.

Granted, it was a pure name-drop in a novel, so there is no way to know if the 'Victory-class Star Destroyer' so referenced looks/acts like the ship we have in the game, but...the fact that there IS a 'Victory-class Star Destroyer' that dates back to the Clone Wars is now a canonical 'fact' of the Star Wars universe.

CadetBrick wrote:
I had to look up the Gladiator. Apparently, it appeared in the old "Star Wars: Droids" tv show back in the 90s, which was also admiral Screed's ship. Awesome ships in Armada btw; they hit frickin hard.

Meh, it's alright. Model looks 25% oversized, though - based on the hull plates - which annoys the HECK out of me...

CadetBrick wrote:
The Assault Frigate and MC30 both appeared in Star Wars Empire At War PC strategy game (fantastic game if you haven't played). Both are excellent ships to have in Rebel builds.

The AF Mk2 does only appear in that game, so is not canon.

However, the MC30 sits on a rather fine line. It was actually supposed to be in 'Return of the Jedi' - it appears in concept art for it...

...but, obviously, it never did. So...canon, or not? TECHNICALLY not, but...ehhhhh...I'll give it a pass.

CadetBrick wrote:
The FFG Interdicter

And, yeah, that FFG Interdictor...PERFECT! Exactly what the canon ship (from 'Rebels') looks like, and wisely discards the ridiculously tiny EU design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Marti
Switzerland
Riedholz
Solothurn
flag msg tools
Super Trooper, I said!
badge
Waaagh
mbmbmbmbmb
CadetBrick wrote:
... FFG needed a "smaller" Star Destroyer to start the game off with. ...

I remember the Victory class star Destroyer from Deciphers Star Wars CCG some 20 years before FFG brought it to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
The goal is to win; but we play to have fun - Me <-- I said that.
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
philtrees wrote:

Really? Even the Raider? That would be awesome. Where did you see all of these other ships, including the Raider, as being cannon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Choong
United Kingdom
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I think the MC30 does appear for a split-second in Return of the Jedi. You see it in one of the brief scenes where some Rebel fighters are chasing TIEs away from the medical frigate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
philtrees wrote:

Really? Even the Raider? That would be awesome. Where did you see all of these other ships, including the Raider, as being cannon?

The ships have always had to be given the green light by Disney sonce the game was released...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
philtrees wrote:
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
philtrees wrote:

The ships have always had to be given the green light by Disney sonce the game was released...

Being given the green light is not the same as being canon. It just means they are OK with it being in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Calvert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Imperial light Cruiser is from Rebels

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is mention of "Imperial twenty gun raider(s)" appearing in the battle of Jakku in the Star Wars young adult novel Lost Stars.

So Raiders are a solid "maybe".

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Jakku

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lost_Stars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
philtrees wrote:
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
philtrees wrote:

Being given the green light is not the same as being canon. It just means they are OK with it being in the game.

If it passes the Disney development team then it is considered canon. They say what stays and what goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OrangeCat X wrote:
There is mention of "Imperial twenty gun raider(s)" appearing in the battle of Jakku in the Star Wars young adult novel Lost Stars.

So Raiders are a solid "maybe".

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Jakku

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lost_Stars

If the Raider is really cannon that would be awesome. Of course the best would be screen time, even a 30 second shot or 60 second battle on Rebels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philtrees wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
philtrees wrote:
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
philtrees wrote:

If it passes the Disney development team then it is considered canon. They say what stays and what goes.

Where did you hear that? Again, just because they allow it in a game, doesn't automatically make it canon. The pre-Disney expanded universe was pretty much ok'd by Lucasfilm, but quite a lot of it was never officially considered canon even before relegated to Legend status.

Approval for use in a game is not the same as canonization.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But it does help. (The Raider was designed alongside input from Disney.)

Also, some writers are VERY supportive of RPG/game material. Later this year, THRAWN by Timothy Zahn will be out. (YAY!!!)

This will be an alternate take on his character Thrawn, who was a part of the old EU. When those books came out (mine are autographed), he was very thankful for the old West End Games RPG material and incorporated a TON of stuff into his books.

BTW: I got the above autographs at an old GEN CON event years ago. Zahn was offering a prize for charity which was an RPG game where he would Role-Play Tallon Karde, his character in the Heir to the Empire series that he wrote. I did not play in the session, but I saw it. (What a gamer-bro. )

I cannot wait to see what stuff he is going to canonize in the new novel(s) he writes.

PS: Go have a look at his novel Star Wars: Scoundrels. It is AMAZING.

--- Edit

Also, Rogue One used the animations, movies and EU as a salad bar of good stuff to drop into the movie. I cannot WAIT to see what will show up in the new Disney one-shot movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
philtrees wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
philtrees wrote:
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
philtrees wrote:

Where did you hear that? Again, just because they allow it in a game, doesn't automatically make it canon. The pre-Disney expanded universe was pretty much ok'd by Lucasfilm, but quite a lot of it was never officially considered canon even before relegated to Legend status.

Approval for use in a game is not the same as canonization.

It is well known that FFG has had to have all ships given the go ahead by the Disney panel.

It is the same as the books etc being approved by the same board.

As for the Raider and other ships I think we will see some of them start appearing in the spin off flicks and even a new TV show about the bounty hunters in a few years time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the Victory class SD's were referenced in the old West End Games RPG Imperial source book. This was as far back as the late 1980's if memory serves, and at the time, it was an officially licensed product, though I'm not sure that means the ships mentioned within were considered canon. I also wouldn't be surprised if those references, if they were canon at one time, were retroactively "non-canon-ized"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philtrees wrote:

It is well known that FFG has had to have all ships given the go ahead by the Disney panel.

It is the same as the books etc being approved by the same board.

As for the Raider and other ships I think we will see some of them start appearing in the spin off flicks and even a new TV show about the bounty hunters in a few years time.

I think you reading more into this than either company has ever actually said. It is true that LFL signed off on the Raider before FFG released it. But it is also true that after Disney's acquisition they stated that much of what we have know is no longer considered cannon. Rather it is legends that they may, or may not, pull from.

I personally would love to see the Raider become canon, but FFG has several ships that, at least for now, are not cannon.

[Edit] The point is, the FFG's prior releases may not be canon and no official source that I know of as said otherwise. But I'd love to see a reference saying they are officially canon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
^ a cannon is a big gun. Canon is lore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Raider in new Battlefront game.

Also, apparently in new Thrawn Novel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaaaand just ordered the book... thanks Dan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife bought it for me the other day. Only a couple chapters into it, but I'm already enjoying it.

Although Zahn's other books are, I think, now in the "Legends" category, I get a feeling he pulled at least some of the backstory from the older books, too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
My wife bought it for me the other day. Only a couple chapters into it, but I'm already enjoying it.

Although Zahn's other books are, I think, now in the "Legends" category, I get a feeling he pulled at least some of the backstory from the older books, too
The first chapter of the book is basically a short story from one of my old Star Wars D6 RPG books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.