Subject: Counters instead of minis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Strand
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
I can already hear the collective gasps from all the minis fanatics, but seriously, once you get to the orange level they're a pain in the ass. Plus, as a grown up, the models seem kind of childish.

Is anybody else interested in some decent cardboard counters? Using models for characters is fine, but for the undead hordes counters would be preferable.

I already use wooden bases from the local game shop. The first zombie of a type I use the model for, and for any extras beyond that I just place wooden bases below. This works fine, but I'd pay $10 or so for a set of counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think the minis do help to identify the types of zombies very quickly and in a game about a zombie outbreak with very simple rules, childish is kind what I am looking for.

I also think that the visual appeal of the game is responsible for 90% of the game success. And I am not a mini fanatic.

But, yeah, counters would work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as I can distnguish between who belongs on which zone, I don't mind a horde overflowing their space. It lets me know at a glance where the trouble is. Being 65, I'm still young at heart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
lol

why even play this game if the minis don't appeal to you? i just don't see the point

(read: collective gasp)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
We use something to mark the minis in a zone and put the overflow on it. In scenarios without both vaults, we use a vault tile to put the figures on and use the door and move it with the pieces still in the space.

--
"More than 70 countries observe daylight-saving time. No one is sure just how much daylight is saved, globally, each year, though physics suggests none." - Scott Craven, The Arizona Republic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Niemann
Germany
Hagen a.T.W.
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
www.spielträumer.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gull2112 wrote:
… as a grown up, the models seem kind of childish

You lost me right there.

(It's never too late for a happy childhood.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel666 wrote:
gull2112 wrote:
… as a grown up, the models seem kind of childish

You lost me right there.

I was going to say that. I'm 61 (my birthday was last week and I got models to make and paint), and I believe that grown-ups should have toys, too. However, I do see the point. Sometimes there are too many models for the space - a few markers would be a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
with $10 you can get a good amount of colored wooden cubes to cover all your gaming needs !

--
"Captain Euro out !"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmb
If using miniatures is childish surely playing boardgames in general is childish?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Vladvonbounce wrote:
If using miniatures is childish surely playing boardgames in general is childish?

Let's not go there.

I find that 'realism' in a game is an interesting idea. I like maps and models to represent things rather than more abstract cards and tokens - however, DC deck building game is one of our favourite. I would prefer a game like Firefly to have models of the spaceships rather than pictures or counters, although colour tokens might be enough. I am happy to have a picture of two pistols on a card to represent the weapons, one in each hand in modern-day Zombicide, but I am also happy that the player can take the evil twins, a pair of pistols, in one hand! I think that the models in Zombicide enhance my playing experience, but I have no problem with little triangular cards representing the attacking forces in Castle Panic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If miniatures are childish... then I never wanna grow up!

Seriously though, if the game didn't have minis, I wouldn't have bought it. Cubes, tokens, or meeples (god I hate those!) would just have ruined it, imo. Never sub for tokens, just deal with the hoard. If you kill them, theres less of them to move. Everytime I feel annoyed at how many there are to move, it just reinforces that we aren't doing our jobs! You only have one job, one job!

For me the hobby is about more than just playing a game, its about painting too! I have spent more time painting this than playing, and my group plays this once a week for at least 3 hours. I got it through KS and we haven't stopped playing it since I got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The minis actually make this game a lot more accessible to new players. It's easier to immerse yourself in the "panic" of a zombie apocalypse if you can literally stare down a street that's flooded with zombies, with a huge Abominatroll at the end, ready to pounce if you get too close.

Whereas "there's a lot of cardboard in this street!" doesn't really seem like it might be appealing to new players. But maybe I play board games with a different kind of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gull2112 wrote:
Plus, as a grown up, the models seem kind of childish.

Um...it's a boardgame. You do realize you're playing a game? If mods would delete posts for sheer ridiculousness, I'd flag yours now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S.
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumpae wrote:
If miniatures are childish... then I never wanna grow up!

Here here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gull2112 wrote:
Plus, as a grown up, the models seem kind of childish.

Collective gasp: There's an adult way to play a game?? What's the point? You have to let your hair down once in a while. For me it's every game night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dawn of the zeds is a good cardboard zombie game if thats what you're looking for ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray R.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No need to tease the OP for liking zombicide for reasons other than the plastic toys. People can like the same game for different reasons.

I like Zombicide for its flexibility as a sandbox game; tweak the rules, create a scenario, invent some new skills, give it a shot. Oftentimes the minis themselves get in the way of what I'm trying to do so I sympathize somewhat with the OP. In a "Walk of the Dead" scenario, you might want to have 10s or 100s of zombies represented on the board and have your well armed survivors blasting through them.

Rather than mocking the OP, let's try brainstorming some ways his request might make the game more interesting or flexible.

Sometimes when there are a half dozen different sculpts in a single zone, it can get harder to quickly identify a runner vs walker. With modern zombicide you could substitute the different colored minis from the expansions, but we don't have as many options yet with BP.

I'll often use dice of different colors to represent N extra of something, but more recently I've been tinkering with replacing minis with cubes *gasp*.

There are a few games which use multiplier tokens when you have too many of something. One gold is one gold, but if you put the piece of gold on top of a '5x' token then it's 5 gold. Even better might be stackable +5 tokens. A stack of 3 tokens with a walker on top might represent 15 walkers. If the tokens were thick enough to be easy to pick up and move, the stack itself would also start looking menacingly tall.

"Making change" might get annoying. I guess that's where individual tokens, cubes or meeples might be a better choice.

It would be kind of fun to see what rules tweaks you could make if you used something that could be drawn from a bag. Let's say you had a bag with mostly walkers, a few runners, even fewer fatties and only one or two each of necros and abombs. When you kill something you put it back in the bag. As you go up in level, you start replacing the smaller cubes with the 5x larger cubes and/or you start replacing walkers with runners, etc.

With tokens you could have neat customizations. A token could indicate that it explodes when killed or it drops an item or you could have some fatties split into two skinners (not in BP yet, but no reason you couldn't add them). You could have the tokens be double sided and when you kill them you could flip them for an effect.

This won't work at all for people who play Zombicide because of the minis, but if you're mostly in it for the game play, there are a lot of neat opportunities with tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Chandler
United States
Burke
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rayr wrote:
No need to tease the OP for liking zombicide for reasons other than the plastic toys. People can like the same game for different reasons.

I like Zombicide for its flexibility as a sandbox game; tweak the rules, create a scenario, invent some new skills, give it a shot. Oftentimes the minis themselves get in the way of what I'm trying to do so I sympathize somewhat with the OP. In a "Walk of the Dead" scenario, you might want to have 10s or 100s of zombies represented on the board and have your well armed survivors blasting through them.

Rather than mocking the OP, let's try brainstorming some ways his request might make the game more interesting or flexible.

Sometimes when there are a half dozen different sculpts in a single zone, it can get harder to quickly identify a runner vs walker. With modern zombicide you could substitute the different colored minis from the expansions, but we don't have as many options yet with BP.

I'll often use dice of different colors to represent N extra of something, but more recently I've been tinkering with replacing minis with cubes *gasp*.

There are a few games which use multiplier tokens when you have too many of something. One gold is one gold, but if you put the piece of gold on top of a '5x' token then it's 5 gold. Even better might be stackable +5 tokens. A stack of 3 tokens with a walker on top might represent 15 walkers. If the tokens were thick enough to be easy to pick up and move, the stack itself would also start looking menacingly tall.

"Making change" might get annoying. I guess that's where individual tokens, cubes or meeples might be a better choice.

It would be kind of fun to see what rules tweaks you could make if you used something that could be drawn from a bag. Let's say you had a bag with mostly walkers, a few runners, even fewer fatties and only one or two each of necros and abombs. When you kill something you put it back in the bag. As you go up in level, you start replacing the smaller cubes with the 5x larger cubes and/or you start replacing walkers with runners, etc.

With tokens you could have neat customizations. A token could indicate that it explodes when killed or it drops an item or you could have some fatties split into two skinners (not in BP yet, but no reason you couldn't add them). You could have the tokens be double sided and when you kill them you could flip them for an effect.

This won't work at all for people who play Zombicide because of the minis, but if you're mostly in it for the game play, there are a lot of neat opportunities with tokens.

So, use one mini to distinguish the type of zombie. Then put one of these counters from Litko on it. Goes up to 15...and makes it easy to adjust the quantity as damage is inflicted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rayr wrote:
No need to tease the OP for liking zombicide for reasons other than the plastic toys.

No one did that. They reacted to him teasing others for liking the plastic toys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brown
United States
Edgewood
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poker chips of different colors also stack nicely under a mini.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.