Marius Semeon
Portugal
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I Recently got into TTA (bought A New Story, but play the old version online on BGA) and have been reading a lot of the excellent advice and discussions on this forum. I was just wondering, seeing as the last post here was 9 months ago and only a few in the last year, if there is some other place people are discussing strategies/playstyles for this game?

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mercurial cc
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there, there has been a new implementation of this game. The discussion now mostly happens in the forums of Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization

Strategy forum: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/182028/through-ages-new-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe here?

https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1713533/through-ages-new-sto...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Semeon
Portugal
flag msg tools
Wow, thanks for quick response guys, just saw this morning.

Yes I'm aware of the new version of game and I play that version when I play in real life, but due to friends work schedules, time commitments etc I end up playing a lot more on BGA, how about you guys? I had a look at BGO and am considering playing a New Story there but the interface definitely is less appealing and would take some getting used to.

Anyway, I prefer the new implementation for sure (common tactic, using any card as bonus defense, and corruption prior to production are all massive improvements imho) but I was under the impression that the TTA community still mostly played the old version due to the popularity of BGA so I meant more specifically strategy discussions on the old version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
BGO is better.

Also TtA is quite an old game - there's probably enough strategy discussion on here to keep you going for a long time. Strategy for New TtA is quite different, so it makes sense to keep the discussions separate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
Bideford
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MariusSemeonOrtiz wrote:
I was under the impression that the TTA community still mostly played the old version due to the popularity of BGA

This impression may well be incorrect; BGO has had an implementation of TtA for much longer than BGA has, so most of the long-running players will be active there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For reference:
BGO
# games in progress: 9439
# active players: 10218

Not sure how that compares with BGA, but there will of course be more ongoing asynchronous games than realtime at any one time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Semeon
Portugal
flag msg tools
Yeah I guess I was under entirely the wrong impression, "947 games in progress" on BGA right now... basically 10% of the traffic on BGO.

I guess I'll just have to accept the less attractive UI and commit to BGO

On a side note, does BGO use an ELO rating system too or is there less focus on ranking side of things?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
Bideford
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MariusSemeonOrtiz wrote:

On a side note, does BGO use an ELO rating system too or is there less focus on ranking side of things?

Less focus. (Incidentally, it is Elo, not ELO; it is not an acronym, it is the designer's name.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.