Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Not sure what else to call the class, but I recently retired my Brute and picked up the Orchid Doomstalker class as a replacement, thinking it was a similar role. Turns out it's totally not, but not as bad as I feared. I'm only level 2 with him thus far, but curious how other people are developing the class. What cards are you seeing heavy use out of and what items do you have equipped to him?

The Doomstalker is really big on putting Doom "hexes" on enemies, laying traps, and summoning creatures. The best part about the Doom abilities that I can see, unless I'm playing it wrong [I was playing it wrong] [I was NOT playing it wrong!], is that he can cast them on enemies from anywhere. He doesn't seem to have all that much Movement though, so he actually needs ranged attacks (he has plenty) and range-less abilities like Doom to make him feasible.

His abilities do rely on good timing though, since you can only have one Doom out at a time. It really seems to require having a feel for how your partner is going to act and where your Doom is needed most.

Top cards for me thus far have been:

Race to the Grave: guaranteed 2 damage every turn is great for whittling down big bosses or those pesky Shielded units that refuse to die.

Detonation: Blow up a bunch of enemies clustered together in a group.

Fresh Kill: Attack 5 (range 4) +1XP on an undamaged enemy means I try to get him close to doorways everytime just so he can get a good hit in.

He seems to have alot of Summoning ability, but due to those cards being consumed on use, I rarely use them, it just feels like I'm throwing them away as meat shields most of the time. I'm curious if anyone makes heavier use of his summons than I do, what's your strategy behind it? I recently sold off a Robe of Summoning item he had acquired (heal 2 on a summoned creature) because I wasn't getting as much use out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
The best part about the Doom abilities that I can see, unless I'm playing it wrong, is that he can cast them on enemies from anywhere.

Are you following this meta-rule, from the FAQ:

Can I target enemies out of my line-of-sight with an area attack?
No, you can only target enemies in your line of sight for all abilities. Or, more generally, you can't designate any ability to occur in a hex outside your line of sight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Well I've been a dirty cheat. Only a few scenarios in with him though, so I guess time to stop that nonsense. It was fun while it lasted. It probably only came up rarely that I couldn't see an enemy since he's in a two-man group and they really can't stray too far from each other, but there was a recent scenario that encouraged splitting the party where it probably helped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just leveled mine to 8 before he retired.

As I got further up the levels I weeded out all the traps (except level 5, flight of flame, mainly for the 5 move jump) but that was largely due to having very little monster moving abilities with my other characters.

He is an absolute machine when it comes to kills. Upgrading "fresh kill" with +1 dmg did wonders, with a power potion and team buffs I've pulled 20 dmg from that one attack before.

His summons are situational, the one which wounds was a perennial when I faced heavily shielded low HP monsters, but he'd only last one round before expiring. To be honest I find the summon rules the weakest in the whole game, so its no surprise I avoid them.

Later I'd find it difficult to drop dooms, move to the right place and then get off attacks, as most things died too quickly. The base attack on his skills are still pretty high though, especially with the adjustments to his deck.

All in all this is hands down my favourite class, he's got great mobility, huge dmg, fast speed and a unique mechanic in his dooms. I really like the class, and with `12 cards and a decent healthpool he can even off tank in a pinch.

I'm super tempted to just roll up a straight replacement instead of the new class I unlocked, he's that good! (Crappy summoner seems impossible to play to me)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul B
msg tools
Did you play that only one guy can ever be marked at a time? It was unclear to me if the mark also goes away when you play a new card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a "allows two dooms" card so I'm guessing its one doom active at a time. Not sure though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul B
msg tools
It would be more like having the same doom on multiple targets. First time I read the cards it seemed like it would work like that but now I'm not sure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
belemp wrote:
It would be more like having the same doom on multiple targets. First time I read the cards it seemed like it would work like that but now I'm not sure

Maybe FAQ answers your question?

In general, Dooms are persistent negative effects applied to a specific enemy that last until you choose to discard the applied doom card, you play a different doom, or the enemy dies. Any enemy that has a doom applied to them is considered "doomed." Note that while bosses are immune to many negative conditions, they are not immune to dooms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I believe most of the Doom (the ones I've seen at least) are only allowed one at a time. Either the enemy with the Doom marker on it dies or a new Doom card is brought out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickersham
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just unlocked this guy and I'm starting him at Level 2 (we play so we don't know what the future Level Up Cards will be, so I'm not sure what's to come in his deck), and he seems like a lot of fun. I went from Cragheart to this, and it's a nice change of pace.

Unfortunately our first mission with him in the group was one that (Scenario 52 Spoiler)
split everyone up into their own little mini-scenario, so he was fighting on his own, with no help from my stronger allies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Wickershamb wrote:
Just unlocked this guy and I'm starting him at Level 2 (we play so we don't know what the future Level Up Cards will be, so I'm not sure what's to come in his deck), and he seems like a lot of fun. I went from Cragheart to this, and it's a nice change of pace.

He's such a great class. I play the same way with the ability cards. I like to be surprised.

He's definitely a change of pace from the Cragheart. While the CH has amazing flexibility, the Doomstalker is more of a one trick pony. But that trick is killing things dead from range.

Really good trick.

That's not to say he doesn't have multiple builds, because he does, but the long range high damage is so good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wup wise
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I haven't actually played with this class; I have only read his cards. But he seems like he's really lacking in useful top actions in his lvl 1 cards. It looks like only 5 out of 15 top actions are not lost and only 3 non-lost attacks.

What are your experiences in playing with this character at low level? Did you find yourself running out of top actions to play?

How useful are the traps since he has basically zero pushes/pulls?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
He actually does get some good Top-card actions, but they all seem to get bonuses only under certain situations (undamaged or Doomed or traps). He also oddly has quite a few summonings, but I never like to summon anything unless absolutely necessary. Summons always feels like a waste of a card and never contributes that much to a scenario except for being a 1-2 turn meat shield. The traps get decent (and repeatable!), but you really need a partner that has Push/Pull abilities to take advantage of them, otherwise I only ever end up using them to funnel enemies and create makeshift choke-points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garion NG
msg tools
Based on this latest post by Issac (https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25484156#25484156)

does it mean
Doom does not require LOS? I.e. I can Doom a monster in another room without LOS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It looks like it! VINDICATION, I'm not a dirty cheat!

Cephalofair wrote:
Just for reference, here is a (surely incomplete) list of everything that is not affected by LoS:
Suffer damage
Retaliate damage (technically a suffer damage effect)

Spike mask class:
Dooms

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wonder if he meant just the continued effects of the Dooms don't require line of sight (e.g. take 2 damage a turn), rather than casting them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Baldrekr wrote:
I wonder if he meant just the continued effects of the Dooms don't require line of sight (e.g. take 2 damage a turn), rather than casting them.

All of those abilities mentioned are done when the card is played, so I would assume that's what is meant by Doom not requiring LoS. If he meant the persistent effect of Doom, I think that would have been more clearly stated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Komdetch Koonopakarn
United States
California
flag msg tools
I've just unlocked this class and am wondering what some of the bread and butter cards are.

I see people saying he excels at long range killing, but he doesn't actually have that many non-lose ranged attack cards. It looks like Solid Bow, Swift Trickery, and Fresh Kill will be the main ranged damage dealing cards.

Is there a standard Doom you guys use? I'm in a full party of 4, so I feel like the "all ally attacks +1" one will be powerful (I'm also planning on keeping one or two of the summons around to trigger it, too). The "your attacks +2" one also seems useful (it reminds me of the +2 attack mindthief augment, which was very powerful).

I can see pairing Fresh Kill with volatile bomb being very strong if you open a door first and get the drop on a new room of clustered enemies.

What other equipment do you think works well with him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My most used card early on with this guy was 'Race to the Grave' (level 1, not really spoilery if you're this far into the thread). It does 2 damage each turn and it's beautiful. Perfect for hard-to-kill Shielded monsters or for wittling down big Boss characters. The summons are all kind of meh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Komdetch Koonopakarn
United States
California
flag msg tools
Would you just recommend ditching all the summon cards, then? It seems like my alternative would be using the trap cards, but I've never found traps to be good without reliable forced movement (which our group currently doesn't have, since this guy is replacing my retired Brute).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah summons in the game are the only thing I find really underwhelming. The stunning toad has his uses but otherwise I didn't really run with any.

This character is awesome though and race to the grave is great. Did the whole "LOS Doom" thing get resolved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
blunder1983 wrote:
This character is awesome though and race to the grave is great. Did the whole "LOS Doom" thing get resolved.

In my mind it was resolved. According to Isaac in a FAQ, Dooms are not affected by LOS. I hadn't heard of any other discussions that may have overturned it (I may also have been plugging my ears even if there were any).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
koonopak wrote:
Would you just recommend ditching all the summon cards, then? It seems like my alternative would be using the trap cards, but I've never found traps to be good without reliable forced movement (which our group currently doesn't have, since this guy is replacing my retired Brute).
You really do need forced movement to take full advantage of traps, but they do help direct the flow of traffic if you need to create a bottle neck or delay some monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
koonopak wrote:
Would you just recommend ditching all the summon cards, then?

Do whatever is the most fun. You can win with any approach (at normal or hard).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blunder1983 wrote:
Yeah summons in the game are the only thing I find really underwhelming. The stunning toad has his uses but otherwise I didn't really run with any.

I tend to use Rain of Arrows instead of Race to the Grave, but both are good.

I also use Summons because I can Long Rest and they'll do the work, and my modifier deck is, uh, really good. And it makes the +1 Allies Attack even better. And I have a group that Blesses adjacent Allies, which counts Summons... In short, I use the Summons because we're getting a numbers advantage on the enemies.

I have someone else playing this class in a second group, and she managed to pull off a crazy combo involving Frightening Curse (Top), Rain of Arrows (Top), and Darkened Skies (Bottom). Doom an enemy with Darkened Skies. When that enemy dies, immediately move the Doom to another enemy, and hit him with Rain and Darkened triggers, as well as hitting another two enemies with the Darkened Doom trigger. If that enemy dies too, you can move the Doom and do everything again. Using this, she attacked seven times when it wasn't her turn because an ally killed the Doomed enemy. It was kinda nuts.

Also, I think everyone is in agreement that the Rolling Add Target modifier is the best perk?

Also I'm sad that Fresh Kill's basic damage got downgraded in the second edition, but I can see why; the effect was really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.