Subject: Star performer clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Angelo Ng
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can the star performer be used to target built-in upgrades? Technically built-in upgrades have a star value of 0?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tony b
msg tools
it cant as it would result in destroying an attraction... and her ability only lets you destroy an upgrade.

but I guess you can try white out or a permanent marker. but I would not recommend that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate Finch
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
waiya wrote:
it cant as it would result in destroying an attraction... and her ability only lets you destroy an upgrade.

Not quite! If an action would demolish an upgrade that is built in, the result is that the attraction is closed for that round.

I think Sploot's interpretation of built-in upgrades as having a star value of 0 is fair, but Joel may disagree with me.

So yes, the Star Performer can be used to target built-in upgrades, but won't demolish them. She will only ("only") close the attraction for that round, and it will reopen during the cleanup phase. See the rulebook on page 9 for more on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Gass
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
waiya wrote:

but I guess you can try white out or a permanent marker. but I would not recommend that.

FYI you can destroy built-in upgrades. It just closes the ride instead of actually destroying anything.

Whether or not the star performer can do it is another question. My personal interpretation would be that she can't as built-in upgrades don't have an explicit star value. But I could see just using the star value of the base attraction, or maybe the star value of the non-built-in version of the upgrade.

Edit: Ninja'd! ninja How fitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Long
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sploot wrote:
Can the star performer be used to target built-in upgrades? Technically built-in upgrades have a star value of 0?

I'm not sure you can claim the built-in star value is 0. So I would be likely to play it that the Star Performer can "destroy" the built-in upgrade, closing the ride as Kate said. But only for attractions that have a star value less than the number of ninja themes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Ng
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Befefig wrote:
Sploot wrote:

I'm not sure you can claim the built-in star value is 0. So I would be likely to play it that the Star Performer can "destroy" the built-in upgrade, closing the ride as Kate said. But only for attractions that have a star value less than the number of ninja themes.

Yeah that is also a reasonable way to approach it. I guess we'll have to wait for Joel's ruling to really know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an answer for this question, but I want to discuss with Kim before making it official, and unfortunately he's on the other side of the planet and busy with GAMA presently, so a definitive response will take a little while.

Apologies - use the time to sharpen your pitchforks in case you disagree with the answer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben You dont need to know
msg tools
Personally I believe the built in upgrade has the same value as the attraction. So if it has a value of 3, the star performer needs 3 ninja icons.

It's built in, why would it have a value of 0?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, here's the detail: Star Performer vs. built-in attractions.

Unless explicitly overridden, the general principle we're using is "if you can't see it, you can't use it". This applies, for example, to abilities on the main card of attractions when they're turned face-down for closure, and staff when they're unavailable.

As this applies to the Star Performer, if you can't see a star value that is directly associated with the upgrade, her ability doesn't apply, and she can't demolish it.

Regular demolition doesn't target on the basis of star value, so the built-in upgrades have enough visible detail to be identified and targeted by those events, eg. "a Guest Services upgrade".

The answer to "what star value does a built-in upgrade have?" is "not applicable". To qualify as having a 0 star value, it would need a grey 0 star icon visible on the card and attributed just to the upgrade.

This is important to establish, because in upcoming packs there will be regular single card upgrades that also don't have a visible star value ("what the?!") and they too will be immune to her ability.

We will edit the rulebook to explain this in detail, as it's not currently covered.

So, no repeatable super attraction closures with the Star Performer, sorry. ("Flaming torches! Pitchforks! To the castle, he's a monster!")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.