Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Holt
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmb
Im looking at purchasing one of these but not sure which one. Don't say both lol.
Which is better? I don't mind that one is harder than the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"RAWR!" means "I love you" in kaiju.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreadmire has the better divisions and more troop choices during wave 1. If you are absolutely stuck at one, I'd get that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Geisler

Santa Fe
New Mexico
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreadmire Kickstarter is a great package. I bought a used copy of Onslaught because I liked the item cards. Note that you can try Onslaught on numerous digital game platforms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonahdel
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreadmire also has that weather mechanic that changes the tempo of the game while Onslaught doesn't.

So my vote is on Dreadmire if you're just getting one.

Source: Played Onslaught on iOS, and Dreadmire on physical copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
Choosing one only? Dreadmire is the better standalone.

If you like Dreadmire, it only makes sense to get Onslaught for the added troop and enemy variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DonRaccoon
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much what everybody has been saying, if you're getting one, get Dreadmire. I have both, picked up from the Dreadmire Kickstarter.

I would say, as others have, if you like one then get the other for the options it will give you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
which one has the "better" solo experience? Thx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnb4bgg wrote:
which one has the "better" solo experience? Thx.

I would say Dreadmire does. The reason is that Dreadmire has updated rules to make each successive round within each wave escalate in difficulty. Bosses for each wave only appear in the third round of each wave and you are guaranteed a boss. Onslaught is more random and your first round of a wave could be the most difficult.

The reason that this is important is that when playing solo and controlling only one division, you have no margin for error. Getting a bad first round of a wave could really set you back. When playing as a team (or controlling more than one division), the other divisions may be able to provide you with some assistance.

Overall, I like the rule changes that Dreadmire introduce whether you play solo or co-op. It makes for a better experience overall. There is a little more complexity as Dreadmire adds a weather effect, but it is something most players could easily handle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gene,
Thanks for your additional insights. I'm taking a deeper look now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilherme B.
Portugal
Coimbra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hello,

I am aware that this thread is old, but I decided to post here because my question is related to the question of the OP. I understand everybody who posted here would prefer Dreadmire over Onslaught if they had to choose only one of the bunch, which seems to be my case. One of the reasons presented for choosing Dreadmire are the streamlined rules.

Question: if I end up with a copy of Onslaught, can I play it 100% according to Dreadmire streamlined rules (with the exception of the weather mechanism)? In case that is possible, am I correct in assuming that (with the exception of the weather mechanism) Onslaught and Dreadmire would be 100% the same game, only with different monsters and marines?

Also, this is totally subjective but I must ask because it is one of the reasons I am interested in this game: taking only the artwork on the cards into consideration, which do you prefer? From the cards I've seen online, it would seem Onslaught looks better.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guizo wrote:
Question: if I end up with a copy of Onslaught, can I play it 100% according to Dreadmire streamlined rules (with the exception of the weather mechanism)? In case that is possible, am I correct in assuming that (with the exception of the weather mechanism) Onslaught and Dreadmire would be 100% the same game, only with different monsters and marines?

I don't see why you couldn't use the updated rules for Dreadmire with the Onslaught game. Dreadmire is designed so that you could mix and match cards from both sets. Dreadmire does update the division abilities. Onslaught divisions give you a specific card in your deck. Dreadmire gives you some random card of a certain maximum cost. You just have to find the Dreadmire wording on the division cards. Also, the Ranger is different in Dreadmire. You don't necessarily have to change them, but you can just play using the Dreadmire version.

Quote:
Also, this is totally subjective but I must ask because it is one of the reasons I am interested in this game: taking only the artwork on the cards into consideration, which do you prefer? From the cards I've seen online, it would seem Onslaught looks better.

I don't have an answer as art matters very little (if at all) to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.