Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Just bought Mage Knight, first playthrough... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Graves
United States
Elmira
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just bought Mage Knight Board Game earlier today and I did a lot of research online before buying and I watched a lot of reviews, but then decided I wanted to know how bad the rules were so I watched this guy's 30 youtube videos totaling over 5 hours of instructional videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXWW1-9cuDs

then of course everyone on reddit and here seems to recommend Ricky Royal's Mage Knight walkthrough, so watched these as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_zW9zDxeYU

All of this before ever actually buying the game. So I felt pretty comfortable today when I bought the game and went through the Walkthrough Rulebook and played the introductory scenario "First Reconnaissance" solo. I don't think I scored particularly high or leveled much because I made a concerted effort to just keeping moving foward to find the city and only really fought enemies that impeded my movement, which I think accounted to about 4 marauding orcs. But my total score for my first playthrough turned out to be 25, which is probably pretty low.

But I really like the game and am looking forward to setting it up and playing again with perhaps a full scenario. Maybe I'll retry this one and attempt to kill more things and get better score first...not sure.

Pictures of my first playthrough:

11 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
> ... so I watched this guy's 30 youtube videos totaling over 5 hours of instructional videos...

To each his own. For me, 5 hours was more than enough time to read the rules thoroughly and play my first game. I can't imagine watching 5 hours of instructional video. Maybe with a gun to my head, but even then it would be a tough choice.


9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vash TheStampede
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have link to the first guy's youtube channel?
The video embed isnt working for me
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Graves
United States
Elmira
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think what made his drag on longer than they needed to was he explained what every...single...card...did, which seemed to drag on at points, and that probably is unnecessary for learning initially. But it was very informative. I dunno, lol.

EDIT: Fixed the links. Also sometimes I just watch youtube reviews or walkthroughs and rules, in this case, when I can't get to sleep. So I guess when I was mulling over purchasing this game I was thinking, "I've seen a lot of reviews, lets see what all the rules look like."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
It's all about timing. Your a bit fast Try again, and explore the game a little. Take on a mage tower and a castle. I forget how many days and nights you get in the walkthrough but see if you can get your timing right where you get to the city on the last night.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mb
I'd move onto Solo Conquest since you apparently know how to run the game at this point. It ends up being a much more fun experience than First Recon.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akiva
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things I've learned (and I'm fairly new to the game myself) is that you have to play very, very aggressively to win. My favorite saying about the game is that if you're not taking on wounds regularly, you're not playing the game; the game is playing you. Don't pass up opportunities to gain Fame, be willing to risk Reputation, and don't ignore adventure opportunities simply because you don't want to get hurt. One thing people downplay with the game is how you're supposed to take on wound cards and utilize healing. A lot of new players, myself included, would ignore map features simply because I could sort out that I couldn't win the fight without taking wound cards. Take the wound cards.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Graves
United States
Elmira
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just did First Reconnaissance for a second playthrough solo and played as Arythea and played a lot more aggressively this time, this time I got a final score of 59...pretty cool.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
robgraves wrote:
I just did First Reconnaissance for a second playthrough solo and played as Arythea and played a lot more aggressively this time, this time I got a final score of 59...pretty cool.
Well done, but try Blitz Solo Conquest next. Just one more round, but so much more to do!

For what is worth, this is what I am using as an introductory scenario: Alternate Introduction Scenario: Distress Letter - best for introducing new players to the game. Never again the "First Reconnaissance".
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Graves
United States
Elmira
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
For what is worth, this is what I am using as an introductory scenario: Alternate Introduction Scenario: Distress Letter - best for introducing new players to the game. Never again the "First Reconnaissance".


That's looks really cool. Thanks for linking it. I might try that when I decide to try to teach this game to my brother after I've played a few more times.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Graves
United States
Elmira
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
Well done, but try Blitz Solo Conquest next. Just one more round, but so much more to do!


I just did my 3rd game ever and I did Solo Blitz Quest as you recommended, however you said I get one more round, according to both base rulebook's scenario listed "Blitz Conquest" and solo scenario book here: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/120439/mage-knight-solo-s...
The Solo Blitz Conquest is 4 rounds, 2 days and 2 nights. I know that First Reconnaissance says initially 3 rounds, 2 days and 1 night, but later it says for solo to tweak it to 4 rounds, 2 days and 2 nights, so every First Recon I played (my first two games, I played 4 rounds, I think I finished early in both cases) but I was playing at 4 rounds anyway. So I didn't really gain any time.

Playing this one I felt like I didn't have enough time to do enough, right on my opening tiles I had a few lakes blocking my bath centrally and then mountains to the left, forcing me to go to the far right and around to get to things I need to fight, I took a couple keeps and a mage tower and I burned down a monastery (lol) but I only found the first city, had it set to level 3 and got the blue city with one (white token) city garrison and one purple enemy. I ended up approaching the city next to the Draconum, so I took him out first. The next turn I tried to attack the city and got wrecked. I ended up taking like 6 wounds and killing the purple enemy (which was poisoned) and not finishing off the white enemy. But then I was knocked out, I never did get a chance to reattack the city before the end of the 4th round, nor did I even find the 2nd city. I ended up with a score of 25 on this game, after subtracting for 18 wounds in my deck. Wow! Is it always this brutal or am I still probably approaching the game wrong, or is it I just need more experience playing?

It is still a lot of fun though!

EDIT: I'm stupid, I was playing as Norwas and as I was picking up the game I realized I had several unwounded units I could have diverted a lot of that onslaught onto, granted it might not have made a lot of difference scorewise, but it wouldn't have rendered my last turn totally ineffective because I had a hand full of wounds.

EDIT2: I had debated about buying sleeves for this game or not, I've never sleeved a game before and I heard a lot of people online say they had sleeved this game for various reasons so I just figured I would, so I just bought some sleeves and sleeved every single card in the game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robgraves wrote:
Picon wrote:
Well done, but try Blitz Solo Conquest next. Just one more round, but so much more to do!


I just did my 3rd game ever and I did Solo Blitz Quest as you recommended, however you said I get one more round, according to both base rulebook's scenario listed "Blitz Conquest" and solo scenario book here: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/120439/mage-knight-solo-s...
The Solo Blitz Conquest is 4 rounds, 2 days and 2 nights. I know that First Reconnaissance says initially 3 rounds, 2 days and 1 night, but later it says for solo to tweak it to 4 rounds, 2 days and 2 nights, so every First Recon I played (my first two games, I played 4 rounds, I think I finished early in both cases) but I was playing at 4 rounds anyway. So I didn't really gain any time.

Playing this one I felt like I didn't have enough time to do enough, right on my opening tiles I had a few lakes blocking my bath centrally and then mountains to the left, forcing me to go to the far right and around to get to things I need to fight, I took a couple keeps and a mage tower and I burned down a monastery (lol) but I only found the first city, had it set to level 3 and got the blue city with one (white token) city garrison and one purple enemy. I ended up approaching the city next to the Draconum, so I took him out first. The next turn I tried to attack the city and got wrecked. I ended up taking like 6 wounds and killing the purple enemy (which was poisoned) and not finishing off the white enemy. But then I was knocked out, I never did get a chance to reattack the city before the end of the 4th round, nor did I even find the 2nd city. I ended up with a score of 25 on this game, after subtracting for 18 wounds in my deck. Wow! Is it always this brutal or am I still probably approaching the game wrong, or is it I just need more experience playing?

It is still a lot of fun though!

EDIT: I'm stupid, I was playing as Norwas and as I was picking up the game I realized I had several unwounded units I could have diverted a lot of that onslaught onto, granted it might not have made a lot of difference scorewise, but it wouldn't have rendered my last turn totally ineffective because I had a hand full of wounds.

EDIT2: I had debated about buying sleeves for this game or not, I've never sleeved a game before and I heard a lot of people online say they had sleeved this game for various reasons so I just figured I would, so I just bought some sleeves and sleeved every single card in the game.

I think Blitz is harder than the regular conquest, because you have less time. Yes, you level up faster, and there are less tiles, but that doesn't make up for the two less rounds.

And this is the first game I sleeved after a card got damaged. I'm glad I did, or else I would've worn out the cards by now.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Graves
United States
Elmira
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I just played my 4th game as Solo Blitz Conquest and I keep feeling like I don't have enough time, I can take out the regular enemies as I go across the map but the pressure to move onto the cities quick is there and I seem to be unprepared by the time I get to the cities. This time I played as Goldyx and got a score of 34, I revealed both cities and tried attacking the green one, but didn't really have the time or the muscle to take them on. I think my next game is going to be a full 6 round solo conquest normal.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I really like the solo conquest. I think you will like it better too especially if you don't like the pacing of the blitz scenario. Either scenario you pick it looks like your picking up on your mistakes or things that you overlooked. I love that aspect of the game. Sometimes, even days later, I think of moments where I overlooked a play. It's an ah-ha and doh moment. The game is an addicting puzzle.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Cruz
msg tools
mbmb
The only reason to do Blitz Conquest is if you don't have much real-life time to fit a Full Conquest game in. It is a different beast, and so I actually would've recommended trying the Full Conquest game next.

Since it sounds like you're conscious of pacing, for me I usually have the following goals in a Full Conquest game:
- Reveal a core tile by the end of Day 2 (to reveal the Elite Units)
- Conquer the first city by the end of Day 3
- Conquer the second city by the end of Night 3 (obviously!)
If I can do the cities any sooner, then that's gravy.

Welcome to the community! This game is truly marvelous, and there's a lot of satisfaction in finding ways to improve your score (esp. continuously discerning and exploiting ways to propel your power curve).

Don't worry about forgetting things (like wounding your Units). This game is pretty fiddly and it will take a good number of more games before you consistently get everything right (and there are veterans who will tell you that they occasionally still forget things, too).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
ronaldsf wrote:
The only reason to do Blitz Conquest is if you don't have much real-life time to fit a Full Conquest game in. It is a different beast, and so I actually would've recommended trying the Full Conquest game next.

Since it sounds like you're conscious of pacing, for me I usually have the following goals in a Full Conquest game:
- Reveal a core tile by the end of Day 2 (to reveal the Elite Units)
- Conquer the first city by the end of Day 3
- Conquer the second city by the end of Night 3 (obviously!)
If I can do the cities any sooner, then that's gravy.

Welcome to the community! This game is truly marvelous, and there's a lot of satisfaction in finding ways to improve your score (esp. continuously discerning and exploiting ways to propel your power curve).

Don't worry about forgetting things (like wounding your Units). This game is pretty fiddly and it will take a good number of more games before you consistently get everything right (and there are veterans who will tell you that they occasionally still forget things, too).


Pretty good advise. I try to stick to these rules of thumb. I don't mind Blitz but it's like playing speed chess. You really have to be comfortable with the rules and your options so you can be efficient as possible.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Graves
United States
Elmira
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice guys. Yeah I'm gonna try my 5th game tomorrow as a Solo Conquest and try to keep your advice in mind. Thanks again.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.