Popular Tags: [View All]
Electro Rush
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Triumph & Tragedy 2 ed. through the eyes of Ameritrash Fan

I love thematic games, I love plastic, direct confrontation and emerging narrative. You can call me ameritrash junkie - and to be more specific, "dudes on a map" junkie. Suffice to say my favourite game of all time is Runewars, but I also love Nexus Ops, Twilight Imperium and Axis & Allies - to name a few games of this genre. There is something greatly satisfying in building kingdom, mustering armies and crushing your opposition - if there is also diplomacy and backstabbing it is even better!
About a month ago I didn't even know that there is such a thing as block wargame. By accident I stumbled on some review or article about this genre, and from that point on I started to feel strange urge to try those games - they seemed like a fun! About three weeks ago I bought Sekigahara and Julius Caesar - these two were my first wargames I ever played. Those games were so fun that I decided to dive into heavier wargame. I skimmed through BGG and this way Triumph & Tragedy caught my attention. I read some very positive opinions and quickly decided that this will be my next game in my "rapidly growing" (if one can say that) collection of block wargames.
Despite being fairly ignorant when it comes to wargames, even I heard about great, frequently asked question - what constitutes a wargame? Frankly, I am not sure, but I am sure you may call Triumph & Tragedy one of the greatest "dudes on a map" games of all time. I am not sure if this game is close to historical realities of 1936, but in this case it doesn't really matter - this game masterfully captures theme of XX century rivalry between fascism, democracy and communism. Playing this game makes you feel like a commander, sitting in dark, smoky office, planning strategical moves, constantly threaten by two others looming Great Powers. At your command will be armies, spies, diplomats and scientists (all of these represented by blocks on the map, action cards and investment cards). Your goal is to lead your Great Power to domination through merciless military conquest, economical domination or win in scientific race by constructing atomic bomb.
As one can see Triumph & Tragedy is not only about waging war - it is almost an 4X or grand strategy game. You can focus on technology, diplomacy and in theory your Great Power can win the game without waging war at all!
Theme emerging when playing this game is simply awesome.
Another thing that makes this title such a fun game is a fact that it is block game. This means there is almost constant Fog of War; when you attack enemy you are never sure if those two of his blocks are just 1 CV Infantry or 4 CV Fortresses. And this makes this game so exciting to play - every military offensive is a thrill ride. Also I found out that blocks are much more elegant than plastic pieces - block steps mean that there is much less dissaray on the map, and it is much more practical when it comes to gathering information from the map.
But what is most amazing about this game is the fact that, despite being sandbox with so many possibilities and ways to win, rules are really easy to digest. In fact, saying "rules are really easy to digest" is an understatement. Rules of this game are just pefect! Perfect, I tell ya! It is a thing to behold that this game gives so many ways to play, using only two decks of cards, blocks and the map. I won't lie, it is one of those games where only reading rulebook won't be enough - you must play out a few turns to get a full grasp on the system - but after that this engine works like a charm. It is fast, intuitive and fun to play! Also, rulebook is well written and there is index, so even if some questions would emerge during the game it should not be a problem.
Summarizing, this is THE GAME. It is the greatest "dudes on a map" strategy game I have ever played. The difference is those dudes this time are represented by the blocks, which in return makes a game even better by providing fog of war. This is the title that dethroned "Runewars" for me. It is easy to set up, easy to play, and easy to explain - and yet it provides endless possibilities. This is the best grand strategy game, in fact best game, I have ever played.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree this is a great game. But more than that I love your obvious enthusiasm and excitement as you discover this genre. For someone that has been playing wargames for 35 years, it is always a joy to watch as a wargame newbie discovers what have always been the most 'thematic' games available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, my friend, Rommel in the Desert. Designed by Craig Besinque who also designed...

Triumph and Tragedy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Electro Rush
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteyWA wrote:
Now, my friend, Rommel in the Desert. Designed by Craig Besinque who also designed...

Triumph and Tragedy.

Well, at this point I come to terms with the fact that I will buy another Columbia Games products sooner than later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wohlwend
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But T&T lacks with only two players, doesn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteyWA wrote:

Triumph and Tragedy.

And let's not forget EastFront II.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Termite wrote:
But T&T lacks with only two players, doesn't it?

It's ideally 3p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your review sold me! I will be picking up a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justen Brown
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T&T was my first real strategic wargame and I often describe it as the "arcade game" of wargames. It's not historically accurate but it offers the Western front with air, land, and sea combat, abstracted supply, technological buildup, simple politics, and a natural paranoia that swells as hidden VP chits are passed around. It's bright, loud, colorful, and just a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Be sure to download the support files from the Files section here. You'll find rules summaries, reference pages, and alternative rules for the two-player game.

"Historical accuracy" changes at this high-level of abstraction. Many more interesting alternate histories are available, making the replay value very high.

I tried adding additional historical and military detail to the rules (see my posts in Variants), but this makes the game feel like it's on rails, reducing your options.

Remember that historically during the Phony War, Britain and France considered some pretty wild strategies against the German-Soviet alliance, including bombing Baku, where Germany was getting its oil.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
At the Nuremberg Trials, German military commander Alfred Jodl said that "if we did not collapse already in the year 1939 that was due only to the fact that during the Polish campaign, the approximately 110 French and British divisions in the West were held completely inactive against the 23 German divisions."

General Siegfried Westphal stated, that if the French had attacked in force in September 1939 the German army "could only have held out for one or two weeks."

Imagine that, historically!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.