Subject: Original Ship Cards 2.0 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Crovo
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After completing my Overland Custom Ship Card I decided to apply my new template to the original 4 ships.

(Vanilla for comparison)

So far I have only completed Serenity, as I would like input for ship Badges/Symbols for the other Firefly's.

I have not made a vanilla (fuel-less) version, as I see no need for a replacement card if it is the same. I play the "Dorm" version in my group.

*Edited to correct wrong picture upload*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Bonnie Mae already has a symbol. When I was working on unique upgrades for the core ships, I assigned symbols to the other two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Crovo
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

gwek wrote:
The Bonnie Mae already has a symbol. When I was working on unique upgrades for the core ships, I assigned symbols to the other two.

Do you have those symbols anywhere for easy access? (Assuming that means you don't mind if I use them)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb

If you like them, they should exist as "watermarks" in the Gear template. If they're not in the version you have, let me know. If you DON'T like 'em let me know - maybe I'll reprint with what you wind up with.

BTW, I love the look... but any chance of a variant that's just normal, ie, no Fuel section? I might actually upgrade my core ship cards, especially, if I can "brand" them with them matching upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Crovo
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

gwek wrote:

If you like them, they should exist as "watermarks" in the Gear template. If they're not in the version you have, let me know. If you DON'T like 'em let me know - maybe I'll reprint with what you wind up with.

BTW, I love the look... but any chance of a variant that's just normal, ie, no Fuel section? I might actually upgrade my core ship cards, especially, if I can "brand" them with them matching upgrades.

Got all of them except the Bonnie Mae--can you upload that, or provide a link to where you originally came by it?

Is there any sort of lore behind the Bonanza badge?

Do you know what the Yun Qi Chinese characters are?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BONNIE MAE - The image is on the original card art. Bill put the image together for me. I can share the template that has the image when I'm on my home computer, but it may be tiny or incomplete. Not sure. Bill may have the original.

YUN QI - I think the two characters mean fate/luck. You can check out this thread. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1071524/translation-yun-qi
I wanted one of the images to be evocative of Serenity's only logo.

BONANZA - I put this one together myself. So, in my house rule where each ship gets a starting upgrade, the Bonanza gets one with a bonus to Cargo Hold... which means it should be good for shipping. I thought it would be fun to have one that looked like it specialized in livestock, so I started looking for cattle-related images and found the cattle skull.

Meantime, I was also looking for various Firefly-related logos and found the general Firefly body, which I think comes from a video game. When I popped the skull onto the body, I almost didn't use it because it was kind of creepifying, but then, I though, why not? Bad guys need ships too. Since I tend to think of Bonanza as Burgess's ship, something with a touch of evil seemed appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Crovo
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoughts on this badge I put together for the Yun Qi?

According to the thread you linked the name literally translates to "Lucky Goddess," so I have the Goddess of Fortune in there, the Chinese symbol for luck & good fortune in the background, and framed within a "lucky" horseshoe. The Chinese writing says, "Yun Qi."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Crovo
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

What I put together for the Bonanza.

The name means profit, luck, and fortune--and keeping with your idea of it being the "bad guy" ship, I have a dragon in there for danger, the mermaid I view as a siren--attracting to danger, and the coin represents fortune/luck. The Chinese characters literally say, "Bonanza."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is sorcery. Artistic sorcery.

Witch! Witch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Crovo
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarbuck wrote:
This is sorcery. Artistic sorcery.

Heh. Thanks. Don't give me too much credit though--I just ask google for components I am looking for, then I just assemble, color, blend, and hope. lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Those images look great, but will they be too "busy" when printed small?

I would also suggest tweaking the colors. The Bonanza could use a little more contrast between the green and the black, and the Yun Qi is shading increasingly away from yellow and toward orange (Serenity).

Great stuff overall, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Crovo
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Serenity sans custom content:

I'll have to see what the coloring does when applied to the cards themselves--on the Bonanza Badge I pulled all the colors directly from the Bonanza ship itself--authenticity.

Any luck with the Bonnie Mae image? I may see if my wife can recreate it from the low res version I have from a terrible scan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh, sorry - I copied the Bonnie Mae Ship Upgrade card into the resource folder last night. You can pull the pic from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the Yun Qi, the "goddess image is more Indian than Chinese, and the horseshoe is upside down. All the luck will fall out that way. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Crovo
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Bonanza, Bonnie Mae, Serenity, Yun Qi

These are at the resolution they would appear at on the ship card at 100%.

I should probably work on the Artful Dodger too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Crovo
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Alternate Bonanza + Alt 2 + Yun Qi Alternate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice.

I'd go with #2. It's a little brighter and will "pop" a bit better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. It might pop, but I still can't quite make out the Stetsons though....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Crovo
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
Nice. It might pop, but I still can't quite make out the Stetsons though....

I'm assuming this is a Bonanza joke? I did actually consider theming the badge appropriately, but I never watched the show, and when I finally came across an image of Benzaiten riding a dragon it won purely for the badassery factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Crovo
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Okay. Decided to put a little effort into shading and making this look like a worn badge that has seen some years on a ship that regularly hits atmo.

Looks way better on the ship card. I haven't processed text for the other ships yet, but getting close for original 4 ships to be done.

This should be displaying at the resolution it would appear at on the ship card itself. I think the details will carry to printing. Wont be any worse detail loss than the Bonnie Mae, for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dammit man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just been a quiet observer, but I just want to chime in and say that this is some seriously good looking work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Crovo
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys. Please note on the Bonnie Mae that I only sharpened and distressed the work that Bill did to get us such a nice image.

Here is (what I hope) is the final versions on the starter ship badges:

Bonanza > Bonnie Mae > Serenity > Yun Qi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raven Nightshade
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Loving this artwork.

Did I hear someone say they are thinking of doing one for the Artful Dodger? Thinking of the origin of the name, this ship probably came out of Dyton colony - think Badger.

Also worth noting that as badass as the dragon looks, dragons are not necessarily considered bad in China.... they do relate to fortune though, so still a win cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.