Hide
7 Posts

Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some question after reading rules... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Giant Inconvenience of Planet X
msg tools
Hi there... some question before my 1st play... side note I HATE the split rule books that FFG uses...

1) You always roll black dice when you roll hero dice. When the attack symbol is rolled the monster inflicts damage based on its attack value (minus any shields you rolled)

2) How do Monsters Untap? You can tap them with various abilities... but for the life of me I can not work out how to untap things.

3) The action cards never untap, you need to cast the card wit hthe untap symbol to refresh your actions. This card can never be forced to tap. It also refreshes itself, so when you cast this action it dose not actually tap itself. It dose it thing and you should have all your actions untapped.

4) Monsters in the shadows can be targeted if the action card allows is. Even if face down. You do not flip the card though. Some actions say you can do whatever but not if the card is a nemesis. If the card is face down, how can I tell?

5) Monster Phase - If you have no monsters in front of your hero, or tapped you activate a face up shadow monster. If there is none up reveal and activate a face down monster in the shadows. If non of this is true then you skip the monster activation for that hero.

5) Monster Phase - If a monster has a inflict keyword in its action banner and it is in the shadows, it attacks the activation hero even though it is not engaged with it. (night goblin archer for example retreats before it inflicts)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GasPumpGirl wrote:
Hi there... some question before my 1st play... side note I HATE the split rule books that FFG uses...

Eh, some people (myself included) really like them. I think Warhammer Quest isn't a great example of it though; there are too many rules relegated to the Reference Guide. Really FFG ought to be ensuring all rules are in both books, and the Reference Guide is purely a detailed glossary, but still.

Quote:
1) You always roll black dice when you roll hero dice. When the attack symbol is rolled the monster inflicts damage based on its attack value (minus any shields you rolled)

You roll one black die per ready enemy engaged with you. Each attack symbol causes one of the ready engaged enemies to inflict damage according to its attack value, with the choice of enemies from highest attack down.

Example: you're engaged with three enemies - all readied, with attack values of 4, 2 and 1. You take the Rest action, which first allows you to exhaust an enemy, so you exhaust the 4 attack. Then you take the REST action itself and roll your hero dice plus two black dice. You roll one hit and one blank on the black dice. After applying any successes from your own dice (and so healing wounds first) you apply 2 damage - one monster hit you, and the 2 damage enemy is the highest readied value - minus however many shields you had.

Quote:
2) How do Monsters Untap? You can tap them with various abilities... but for the life of me I can not work out how to untap things.

Enemies ready at the end of the Enemy Phase, after all of them are exhausted.

Quote:
3) The action cards never untap, you need to cast the card wit hthe untap symbol to refresh your actions. This card can never be forced to tap. It also refreshes itself, so when you cast this action it dose not actually tap itself. It dose it thing and you should have all your actions untapped.

Correct. Although when you say action cards never untap...they never refresh automatically, but they can be refreshed through other means than using that hero's refresh ability. For example, each hero's Aid ability lets the aided hero refresh one of their actions in the process. These are all called out on the cards themselves though.

Quote:
4) Monsters in the shadows can be targeted if the action card allows is. Even if face down. You do not flip the card though. Some actions say you can do whatever but not if the card is a nemesis. If the card is face down, how can I tell?

If an enemy is face-down, it loses its traits and text, so it's not considered a nemesis and can be affected. Specifically, "Facedown enemies are considered to be non-nemesis enemies without a rank." (RRG->Zones->Shadow Zone).

Note that applying wounds, activating an enemy, or trying to engage an enemy will turn it face up in the shadow zone, and any text and traits become active before actually resolving the action (so if an enemy says "this enemy can't take damage in the shadow zone" but is face down, if you assign it damage in a ranged attack, you'll choose to assign the damage, flip it face-up, and then the damage won'y apply. Or if an enemy says "this enemy cannot be engaged" and you try to engage it face-down, it will flip face-up then remain in the Shadow Zone).

Quote:
5) Monster Phase - If you have no monsters in front of your hero, or tapped you activate a face up shadow monster. If there is none up reveal and activate a face down monster in the shadows. If non of this is true then you skip the monster activation for that hero.

Almost, but you don't have to split the face-up and face-down monsters in the shadow zone. If you have no ready monsters in front of your hero, you activate a ready monster in the shadow zone - but you can choose a face-up or a face-down one if both are available. When there are no readied monsters in either that hero's zone or the shadow zone, then you skip the hero.

Quote:
5) Monster Phase - If a monster has a inflict keyword in its action banner and it is in the shadows, it attacks the activation hero even though it is not engaged with it. (night goblin archer for example retreats before it inflicts)

Yes. "Inflict" will actually deal the damage to the engaged hero regardless of who activates it (in the cases where activating an enemy in your engagement zone or the shadow zone causes it to engage with a different hero before triggering Inflict), but if it's in the Shadow Zone, it will inflict on the activating hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Thanks for all your help...

some follow up questions....

LeonardQuirm wrote:
Quote:

"all of them"....

I thought each hero activated ONE monster.. so at max only 4 can activate a turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GasPumpGirl wrote:
Thanks for all your help...

some follow up questions....

LeonardQuirm wrote:
Quote:

"all of them"....

I thought each hero activated ONE monster.. so at max only 4 can activate a turn?

Nope! Every enemy that isn't exhausted at the start of the Enemy phase will activate during the phase. You keep going in a loop through the heroes, activating one enemy at a time (or passing if there are none left ready in that hero's zone or the shadow zone) until all enemies are exhausted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
So what is the point of face down shadow enemies? If they ALL activate every turn anyway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you don't know what they are for the duration of the Hero phase, so it's harder to prepare for them. You might try and do something to one of them which turns it face-up, only to find out you couldn't do that thing (e.g. inflict wounds while in the shadows, or engage it).

Also you might exhaust a face-down enemy in the shadows and so they remain face down until the following round (if they're not wounded, activated or engaged they won't turn face-up).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier G. Maroto
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GasPumpGirl wrote:

I hate this type of rulebook too found in some games. Catan, Legends of Andor, this one (Warhammer Quest ACG)... For me its a very messy style of rulebooks. When I need to find some rule, it's a mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.