Dave Cunningham

California
msg tools
Anything? Any format? Even parody the tropes of these literary and cinematic genres? Set in a entirely different time and space like cyber-punk or space travel (starcraft)?

Games that bleed that same atmosphere or immerse players in that world?

Any and all recommendations!

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B

Baldwin City
KS
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gumshoe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Alderin
United States
Gig Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
P.I.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justen Brown
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases is more of a cooperative puzzle adventure than a board game but you're basically interns trying to solve a crime faster than the great detective.

I also enjoy Letters from Whitechapel. Proper grim and gritty hide-and-seek game based around Jack the Ripper and the hapless dolts trying to bring him to justice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is Deadline coming out this year and a few years ago there was Ace Detective to match your need for theme, as for immersion or atmosphere that is difficult.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Covert is spy vs spy in the cold war era

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pusboyau wrote:
There is Deadline coming out this year and a few years ago there was Ace Detective to match your need for theme, as for immersion or atmosphere that is difficult.....

Deadline looks really promising, check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Android
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ringo Stalin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'Fiasco' is an RPG based on the 'caper-gone-wrong' trope prevalent in many noir films.

There are 2 Tabletop episodes covering a game of Fiasco, should you wish to know more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cunningham

California
msg tools
Interociter wrote:
pusboyau wrote:

Deadline looks really promising, check it out.

I agree alot of these recs look to provide hours excellent game play.

Deadline looks awesome!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cunningham

California
msg tools
saad1000 wrote:

Too bad this one is out of print, its fetching high price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cunningham

California
msg tools
balderin wrote:

This game is very affordable and in print, my only issue is replayability and how many scenarios does it offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cunningham

California
msg tools
Ringo_Stalin wrote:
'Fiasco' is an RPG based on the 'caper-gone-wrong' trope prevalent in many noir films.

There are 2 Tabletop episodes covering a game of Fiasco, should you wish to know more.

Will do, I love tabletop!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cunningham

California
msg tools
jaybeethree wrote:
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases is more of a cooperative puzzle adventure than a board game but you're basically interns trying to solve a crime faster than the great detective.

I also enjoy Letters from Whitechapel. Proper grim and gritty hide-and-seek game based around Jack the Ripper and the hapless dolts trying to bring him to justice.

I love Sherlock Holmes and co-op games. Plus, my mother is a huge mystery fan. I would love to introduce her to a Sherlock Holmes board game.

Of the hidden movement games this is my favorite theme but I only placed Fury Of Dracula ahead of it only because I've heard the mechanics were improved upon or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dresden Files Cooperative Card Game is coming out. The books read like hard boiled detective fiction with ghosts, vampires, etc thrown in. It might be worth a look. It's due out relatively soon and I'm going to take a hard look at it.

And Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases is a great experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cunningham

California
msg tools
djn1981 wrote:
Covert is spy vs spy in the cold war era

I love Cold War spy vs spy stuff. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cunningham

California
msg tools
jhaimowitz wrote:
The Dresden Files Cooperative Card Game is coming out. The books read like hard boiled detective fiction with ghosts, vampires, etc thrown in. It might be worth a look. It's due out relatively soon and I'm going to take a hard look at it.

And Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases is a great experience.

The detective / supernatural crossgenre would not be my first choice in a game, it is so prodominate in popular fiction these days. But if the game offers alot I would definitely make an exception.

Another shout out for Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, I need to definitely check this game out. I had this one on the back burner because there is like 3 or 4 different new or reprinted Sherlock Holmes games to look at. My mother loves Sherlock Holmes and sleuthing in fiction. She literally reads well over a hundred mysteries a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kongzilla wrote:
jhaimowitz wrote:

The detective / supernatural crossgenre would not be my first choice in a game, it is so prodominate in popular fiction these days. But if the game offers alot I would definitely make an exception.

Another shout out for Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, I need to definitely check this game out. I had this one on the back burner because there is like 3 or 4 different new or reprinted Sherlock Holmes games to look at. My mother loves Sherlock Holmes and sleuthing in fiction. She literally reads well over a hundred mysteries a year.
There is already an expansion (Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: Jack the Ripper & West End Adventures) with more cases. There is also Mythos Tales, which is definitely detective/supernatural cross-genre (in this case supernatural being Lovecraft inspired Mythos), but if you like the game play from Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases and the expansion, this may also be an option.

The Dresden Files Cooperative Card Game is a hand management game that employs the Fate Dice from the Dresden Files RPG. It is fairly difficult, and quite quick. Each player plays a character from the books, but one player always must be Dresden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cunningham

California
msg tools
tuckerotl wrote:
kongzilla wrote:
jhaimowitz wrote:

There is already an expansion (Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: Jack the Ripper & West End Adventures) with more cases. There is also Mythos Tales, which is definitely detective/supernatural cross-genre (in this case supernatural being Lovecraft inspired Mythos), but if you like the game play from Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases and the expansion, this may also be an option.

The Dresden Files Cooperative Card Game is a hand management game that employs the Fate Dice from the Dresden Files RPG. It is fairly difficult, and quite quick. Each player plays a character from the books, but one player always must be Dresden.

I happen to dig Lovecraft and combining that with detective sounds like a delightfully exciting combination. I am sold on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
News just in: Detective: City of Angels

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cunningham
United States
California
flag msg tools
pusboyau wrote:

This one looks pretty nice, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in the FFG's Lovecraft games there's a recurring character Joe Diamond. Get it? Sam Spade-->Joe Diamond? grooaan...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Got to try Watson & Holmes a few weeks back. Very interesting game play, and very thematic. The story is set, and then you need to visit certain parts of town to pick up clues and try to figure out what happened. Police will be posted on strategic parts of town. You need to find ways to bypass them.

The only thing that can be a flip side is that when you have played a scenario, you can`t play it again, because you will know the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
whoa Deadline looks really neat, definitely gotta keep an eye on that one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
London Dread might fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.