Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm finally going to play my first Frostgrave game this weekend and I can't wait. I've painted two wizards and apprentices (sigilist and necromancer) plus enough soldiers to create two warbands. I also have painted undead from Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest.

I also have the following terrain:

1) A 4x6 foot "Frozen Ruins" battle mat from Cigar Box Battlemats. They have a huge selection of high quality cloth mats, many which are suitable for Frostgrave. They come in 3x3' and 4x6' sizes. www.cigarboxbattle.com

2) Ruins of Osgiliath multipack. You get a lot of gothic ruins and statues for only $65.00 USD. A great value from Games Workshop!

3) Dragonfate Dais by Games Workshop. It's no longer available but I found one at my FLGS. I posted a picture of it with my Sigilist here on BGG.

4) A wizards tower and foam rock slab. Someone made it and sold it on www.etsy.com. It looks nice, but it's too small for the scenario in the book.

5) Gothic Ruins set by Pegasus Hobbies. I saw some cool videos called KaBlams on YouTube where a guy shows you how to make ruins of Pegasus's other Gothic Building sets. I'm going to need to get some kits and do the same. These seem to be the most readily available gothic city terrain right now. With that said, I can't find Pegasus and gothic rubble terrain, which I want badly. Does anyone know where I can find some?

6) I also painted the furniture that comes with Dungeon Saga and they look great. The furniture is available separately from Mantic games.

That's all I have so far and now on to my wish list:

1) As mentioned already, Pegasus Hobbies' gothic terrain rubble.

2) I just learned that Gail Force Nine made gothic ruins buildings and terrain. I'm dying to get my hands on some of these pieces but they no longer seem to be available. I can't even find them on eBay. I really want the fountain and the large tower and rubble terrain that goes with it. Is there any place at all I can find these? Does anyone know if GF9 with make them available again?

3) Trees. Snowy, winter trees. Where can I find them? I've looked at local craft stores and online and I can't find any.

As you can tell, I'm starting to get hooked on the modeling / hobby aspect of Frostgrave and I haven't even played it yet! Please post other companies and places where one can find quality terrain for Frostgrave or post you needs here. I've learned that it's hard to find the terrain you want!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevin wrote:
3) Trees. Snowy, winter trees. Where can I find them? I've looked at local craft stores and online and I can't find any.

Christmastime is when the snowy pines come out - and after Christmas is even better because they go on clearance. Joanne's sells little bags of small trees, and Walmart sells larger ones individually as well as a blister pack of various sizes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gale Force 9 Gothic ruins you want are OOP. Don't know if they will reissue them. Wanted the fountain ruins myself.

Manorhouse Workshop has some nice looking buildings. However, I have not purchased from them so I can't vouch for their quality or the company's service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought my trees on ebay. They were delivered from China but much cheaper than anything I saw here.
Ok another forum people who ordered the sanw trees said they had a smell. But my didn't.

I also use the dungeon saga minis. I love them a lot. Another great resource for Frostgrave minis is Castle Ravenloft. Its not great game but has good minis and if you have some players who never played games like these its a good gateway game since its not that complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gordon
United Kingdom
Brampton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mysterons - my kind of club...
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a lot of good places to find inspiration for Frostgrave terrain, where to get it and also how to make it. For the latter, here's a great example of someone's creativity:

http://xinslair.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Frostgrave

And some of the plastic modelling companies have got on-board to make just the right components for you to put together too:

http://www.renedra.co.uk/product.php?product=233 (I think Brigade Games stock Renedra stuff in USA.) Check out their Castle/Tower, Ruins, Fencing and Gravestones sections too.

And I can recommend the dedicated forum on LAF for Frostgrave too: http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?board=92.0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
4ground.co.uk do snowy trees - here's a pic of mine:

The've also got a range of fantasy buildings and ruins too. You can see some of mine here:

I've built up a good mix of terrain so for. The Games Workshop kits are great and are actually pretty good value (particularly the Ruins of Osgiliath multipack that you mentioned. The Garden of Mor is very handy too). Unfortunately some of their best kits are OOP. You can find them on Ebay but they'll cost a pretty penny. Skullvane Manse and Dreadstone Blight are brilliant kits.

There's a company called Adrians Walls that do prepainted ruins specially for Frostgrave. Again, not that cheap but pretty good.

The mat I'm using is from a company called Deepcut Studios. I like it because it's not just white snow, it's a mix of whites and blues and you can see ruins and flagstones peeping out from the ice.

Hope you enjoy your first game. We've recently started playing and are three scenarios in. So far we're having great fun. It's very swingy and random but if you're fine playing for laughs you'll have a great time. Best bit of gaming I've done in ages actually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very helpful information guys, thanks! I'll check out your recommendations and post some pics of my first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I went for a cheap option for mats - a Spoonflower POD cotton fabric for $USD 15. I created the texture to be used on it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQwknd1jGP3/?taken-by=curufea&hl...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw the modular Ruins of Giliath (hmmmm) set on the Bell of Lost Souls site. Ordered it from Multiverse for just over $27, shipped. May order another set after it arrives.

As far as minis, I'm liking the Dark Sword line, especially some of the Wildling minis for Game of Thrones.

PS: I am just starting to get into Frostgrave and am blown away by what I've seen so far. This is going to cost me a lot of money, isn't it? cry

http://www.multiversegamingterrain.com/gothic-ruins-set-a-p-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb

I saw a review of these on YouTube. Gamemat.eu sells this set for $149.00 USD plus about $60 shipping to the U.S. It's pre-painted resin that's ready to play out of the box. The centerpiece ruin is huge. It comes with doors and windows that can slot into the buildings. I think I'll order this as soon as sell my painted Arcadia Quest game.

How do you make the picture larger?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevin wrote:

Put 'large' inside the image tag.

ImageID=3471424 large

gets you:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Ebonsword
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevin wrote:

I saw a review of these on YouTube. Gamemat.eu sells this set for $149.00 USD plus about $60 shipping to the U.S. It's pre-painted resin that's ready to play out of the box. The centerpiece ruin is huge. It comes with doors and windows that can slot into the buildings. I think I'll order this as soon as sell my painted Arcadia Quest game.

Nevin,

Did you ever end up getting this set? If so, care to post a review?

It seems like a great value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ebonsword wrote:
Nevin wrote:

Nevin,

Did you ever end up getting this set? If so, care to post a review?

It seems like a great value.

Not yet. I sold some games to order it then was offered a job in New York City. I'll order it as soon as I get settled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Benson
United States
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got some Blotz terrain (mdf). I've got some 15mm buildings that don't apply here but I also got most of the ruins for scatter terrain. It is easy to put together and looks appropriate on the table.
http://blotz.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=23_29_95

I use the Pegasus stuff, it's great.

I've made buildings out of foam core. If you are going that route, I highly recommend a foam cutter for long straight edges. If you go this route, hot glue it together. My first attempt was white glue and it isn't as quick or durable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JSV3CQ/ref=oh_aui_deta...

I've made lots of pillars out of dowels and cheap lumber. I've made statue bases out of wood candle holders from hobby lobby (the d20 is sitting on one). The fountain is Blotz.

The book cases in the background are bass and balsa wood glued together and painted. The books are foam paper of varying colors and thicknesses glued together in clumps.

The floor under the pegasus building on the right is doll house floor from Hobby Lobby. It was about $8 but was better than me trying to paint something with the grid patter of a tile floor.

The plastic cake pillars for wedding cakes aren't too expensive and they look better than round dowels. Need to put something in the tops because they are open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really nice Bone Wheel scratchbuilt from Dollar Tree Halloween junk:

https://onemoregamingproject.blogspot.com/2017/09/frostgrave...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat H
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
They are OOP, but some of the Terraclips sets (dungeon, vaults) work well for the game, have many build options and look good on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I wish more things were done in true 28mm realistic proportions. LOTR minis look amazing. I was thinking of building a force out of easterlings. Those old models got a real Hyborian feel to them I love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll need to look at historical manufacturers then. They are closer to what you want. An added advantage is often historicals are cheaper.

https://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/ Dark Age/Early Medieval

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/index.php A wide range. Has metal and plastic.

Edit 1: http://www.fireforge-games.com/ Plastic kits including some less often produced ones such as Mongols and Medieval Russian. They are also starting a Byzantine line of figures. This is an odd company for me to have forgotten as I bought some Mongols for a Frostgrave warband.

Thorsmitersaw wrote:
I wish more things were done in true 28mm realistic proportions. LOTR minis look amazing. I was thinking of building a force out of easterlings. Those old models got a real Hyborian feel to them I love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.