Hide
8 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Monster placement clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Dagna
msg tools
The wording in the rulebook seems to be a bit vague. On tiles where there are multiple monster symbols it says to place a monster on each symbol.

I am interpreting that this means each monster is the same and acts as a mob? When you kill the last one you gain the experience for that card.

My wife interpreted that you draw a new monster card for each symbol. And each symbol/card awards its own experience.

I can see it working both ways, but which one is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your wife is correct, you pick one monster card and its corresponding figure for each symbol on the tile. So if there are multiple symbols, you get multiple individual monsters, and you get XP for each if you manage to kill them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brisiel
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
... and of course the 1 treasure card you receive (even if you kill multiple monsters on same turn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Amaral
Brazil
Recife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bartheus wrote:
Your wife is correct

Men to the left, because women are always right laugh

The meaning of placing a monster is to draw a Monster card and place it on the appropriated square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Dagna
msg tools
Thanks everybody,
I guess I figured that some tiles had three symbols and that's why they gave you 3 figures of each type.

I'll be sure to let her know that she was right shake lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adagna wrote:
Thanks everybody,
I guess I figured that some tiles had three symbols and that's why they gave you 3 figures of each type.

I'll be sure to let her know that she was right shake lol

Those of us who have played the first three D&D board games (Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, Legend of Drizzt) know that there have always been three of each of the common monsters, but all dungeon tiles in those games had exactly one monster spawning point. The Legion Devil (WoA) is the only monster to date where you place all three figures (if available) when drawn. ToEE is the first game where the number of spawning points per tile varies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevin wrote:
The Legion Devil (WoA) is the only monster to date where you place all three figures (if available) when drawn. ToEE is the first game where the number of spawning points per tile varies.
That is true, but didn't CR come with monster chits that you could house-rule to use that would spawn multiple monsters when placing a new tile? So the idea isn't exactly unique to ToEE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EverywhereGames wrote:
Trevin wrote:
The Legion Devil (WoA) is the only monster to date where you place all three figures (if available) when drawn. ToEE is the first game where the number of spawning points per tile varies.
That is true, but didn't CR come with monster chits that you could house-rule to use that would spawn multiple monsters when placing a new tile? So the idea isn't exactly unique to ToEE.

Yes, it’s the same idea, only the number of Monsters is determined by the tile rather than a separate token. I didn’t remember which game those were in or whether they were called for in any adventure, but I do remember those monster tokens. But when using those tokens, one draws a number of Monster cards equal to the number on the token, and places one figure for each card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.