Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oscar Luis L.
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello and greetings from Denmark

I am preparing myself to present this game to my non gamer friends
and I already can see what some people has said.

At first view, this scenario doesn't look balanced and I think a more
balanced side will result in a more intense session...

What would you then add to Pegasus Bridge to make it a "tighter contest"?

Thank you very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
A rematch!

Or use my preferred refereed convention scenario: "Twin villages", win ratio 49/51, 2+1/3 branches, 2 Terrain Types, 4 Command Cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Nieuwkoop
Netherlands
Klundert
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to "amaze" them with all the game has to offer and still play a relative simple scenario I would suggest Sword beach.

it this is to complex, you could use Moyland woods

We use both scenario's for demonstrating at boardgame conventions. it takes about 10-15 minutes to explain en then people can play.
It's not a problem if people play not everything right the first time (I've seen new players place sandbags in the ocean for example). Most important is that they have fun and experience the game.

For that reason we do not play Pegasus Brigde. It does not have all the units, is unbalanced and therefor not much fun.

Have fun playing with your friends!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I understanding correctly that what you really want is a more 50/50 win rate scenario for introducing Memoir 44 to some friends? You wouldn't have to introduce them to the game with Pegasus Bridge. You could even out the power differential but I really enjoy the asymmetry of power in Memoir 44. And I think that Pegasus Bridge clearly communicates to new players that Memoir 44 is not what you've played before. For me, it shows the creativity of not being bound by equal forces. Many games are about having powerful stuff, Memoir 44 is about using resources skillfully, and it especially interesting to do this when those resources are mediocre, it really
makes it about game play. And playing both sides of scenarios balances out the match overall, regardless of power differential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IF you are playing while teaching the game, an unbalanced scenario is probably preferred (with you taking the weaker side), to make the game more competitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Luis L.
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!!
So many suggestions and so fast!

I will consider every one of them!

Thank you very much... I can't wait
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
FULL THROTTLE
badge
"Unlike work, which needs some detachment and ought not to be taken too seriously, games need to be played with the utmost seriousness and dedication." - Bruno Faidutti
mbmbmbmbmb
NimitsTexan wrote:
IF you are playing while teaching the game, an unbalanced scenario is probably preferred (with you taking the weaker side), to make the game more competitive.

Especially if they're non-gamers.

If they like it, then you can switch sides and total the medals. That's the only way to "balance" M44.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gravey wrote:
... That's the only way to "balance" M44.

Or play only balanced scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Aubert
France
TOULON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfram wrote:
Gravey wrote:

Well, so called balanced scenarios are for opponents of equal skill and sometimes they reflect the fact that luck is even more imortant with that specific scenario so that it's always 50/50.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muchu wrote:
Wolfram wrote:
Gravey wrote:

Well, so called balanced scenarios are for opponents of equal skill and sometimes they reflect the fact that luck is even more imortant with that specific scenario so that it's always 50/50.

Did I miss something or did someone left the troll caves open again?

Since both, skill and luck, determine also the outcome of a match-rematch, both ways are equally valid or invalid to balance a snap sample.

BTW generally balanced scenarios can be easily identified on the DoW website by their win ratios. They are not so called, but are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I tried Pegasus Bridge once to introduce a friend of mine and took Axis, expecting he would win but see how good play on defense could try to balance the odds. He lost badly and complained that it seemed like there was no way the Allies could break through the Axis defenses. Oops!

I've decided it's better to use scenarios where neither side is clearly on the defensive position. More important than whether a scenario has close to a 50/50 win rate is how much both players feel like they have a winning chance. I like St. Mere Eglise, partly because dropping the troops is fun (I let new players redrop any that bounce off the board).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david Gorman
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would suggest Arnhem Bridge from the base game with the new player taken the role of the British.

Its not balanced but looks to be not balanced the other way.
ie looking at the board and all those german tanks it looks easy for the germans so when they win it feels like a good victory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Luis L.
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks David and Ryan

I will study those maps too.

Thanks again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arnhem Bridge is one of the words scenarios if you know just a little bit about the battle.
I would use some of the amfibie assault scenarios instead as an intro to the game.
Both players would be sure about their goals in the scenario.
The attack must get into the land and the defender should try to keep the attacker on the beach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just swap an infantry for a tank on the German's side.
And/or make it compulsory for both bridges to be captured and held.

If you find this or any scenario to be too rough on one side, just tweak it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.