Apocrypha Adventure Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Any updates? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Sebren
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Well the last update was on the 23rd of last month, and since then radio silence.

Has anyone heard anything new?

This forum seems at a loss for activity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
Kickstarters run by known companies with well-liked designers like Lone Shark or Greater Than Games are immune to deadlines and the constant complaints of blown deadlines that smaller newer companies or larger faceless companies fall victim too.

So basically we're out of luck until they deign to show up once every month or two with a "not yet" update.

For Apocrypha, we'll get a base box in a few months, and the rest of the stuff 3-12 months later. Splitting the stuff is unfortunate because Loe Shark doesn't have a good track record with remembering to finish their projects (Maze of Games Audio Puzzles, I'm looking at you)

That said the latest images of the cards look amazing and the game might actually be good so whatever.

At this point, I'm just glad I backed Gloomhaven and the one-man comapny only delivered 8 months late so that all the bigger companies can be even later and I don't need to go yell at them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Loan Shark Games tank is empty. They are living on money earned on projects undelivered. They have MULTIPLE undelivered Kickstarters and I will be honestly surprised if they won't announce bankruptcy soon.

All the signs are there :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Uthus
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As they do monthly updates, and the last one was the 23rd of February, you probably should wait untill next week or so for the next update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the November update:

So here's some news: The Apocrypha base set will be going to the printer in December. We don't know when it will come back from the printer, and we promise we will tell you when we know. But here's even more news: When it comes back, we're going to send it to our backers.

I just figure that whenever Selinker & Co hear anything they'll let us know.

I always assume that any Kickstarter project is going to be at least a year late. It helps keep the ulcers away, and my blood pressure low.

Edit: I didn't even know about the February update. We just got an update 3 weeks ago, and now you want another one? That's just crazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
Loan Shark Games tank is empty. They are living on money earned on projects undelivered. They have MULTIPLE undelivered Kickstarters and I will be honestly surprised if they won't announce bankruptcy soon.

There is some substance to your point, however....

If we were giving an award for highest number of critical posts of game companies across BGG you would clearly have a good shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Haynes
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm just waiting for April, when it's a full year late to get told it's still at the printers and then another post about playtesting. Then probably see another Kickstarter by them for a new game.

But, the last of the Mummy's Mask set is getting shipped, so, maybe they'll be focusing on everything else now, but I doubt it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Sebren
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Mike showed up on the afternoon portion of Dice Towers live stream of GAMA.

Important information released during that interview.

Apocrypha Base Set release set for Q3 of this year.
Apocrypha Second expansion set for end of this year.
Apocrypha Third expansion set for beginning of next year.

*it was stated the backers would get their copies first, but nothing more concrete than that*

Numerous people asked about backers rewards in the chat at the time, but none of those questions were addressed. In his defense they were really being pressed for time so not many questions were answered.

The Ninth World is set to be released before the end of this year.
They would like to get playable forms of Thornwatch done before Pax unplugged this year, but stated it would take everything falling into the right place before that could happen.

He has stated in one of the updates that distribution channels would like to have a staggered release and I wonder if this plays into the release schedule of the game? It is still unknown if this will affect backers or preorders releases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm waiting for the gameplay video. i hope the next update will show this video (the ks comments points out to this). but i think it will take one or two additional weeks. just assumption.

still confident. and now playing gloomhaven... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calpurnio1973 wrote:
i'm waiting for the gameplay video.

There are 9-10 short gameplay videos on Youtube. For a list, click here.

If you want something more comprehensive (using the final printed version, etc.), you may have to wait a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Third
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
Gàidheal Laidinneach
badge
Genii Cucullatii
mbmbmbmbmb
piman wrote:
DeadCowCult wrote:

Ah, remember the days of "we definitely did not say we would be as late as October" - referring to October 2016? "We're waiting for a date from the printer" was the reason back then - March, 2016 - too!

They've said before that the schedule for retail release is not the same as the schedule for backers. Backer copies are supposed to go out to us as soon as they arrive. Retail release will be afterwards (precisely to let us get our copies first). So I wouldn't take an announcement at a trade show specifically for publishers, distributors and retailers - i.e., focusing on the retail distribution pathway - as reflecting on the backer schedule. All it basically says is that October is the absolute latest by which we should expect our copies.

Not to say it won't all be horribly late again or anything, just that I don't think we can deduce that from this announcement.

piman wrote:
DeadCowCult wrote:
He has stated in one of the updates that distribution channels would like to have a staggered release and I wonder if this plays into the release schedule of the game? It is still unknown if this will affect backers or preorders releases.

Is this speculation, or did he specifically say it's unknown if the staggered release schedule would affect backers? Previously they committed to shipping both expansions at the same time for backers ("We're going to print expansion 1 (Alpha) and expansion 2 (Omega) at the same time, and send them both to you at the same time").

It's also in one of the KS updates that the staggered release was for retail, not backers, and that boxes 2 and 3 will go out to us together, not staggered. This I think is more guaranteed to be reliable - shipping them to us in a staggered way would be really expensive, in a way which staggering the release to distributors would not. I already wonder how much of a financial hit they're taking to ship us box 1 before boxes 2 & 3. Intercontinental direct-to-consumer shipping is really really expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:

They won't go bankrupt, they are too busy do other peoples projects, and creating more work to get more money out of the backers to go bankrupt. Someday they will need to actually finish their first game they designed for themselves. Mike talks a good game but that man would not know a deadline unless it hit him in the face. Missed deadlines, missed updates, hopefully if you ask for a refund not any missed money. I honestly thinking about a refund at this point, I no longer am excited to wait for this game, and the vagueness on info is frustrating. Getting a play-mat, deck boxes, or the soul binder, who knows if your getting this with the base game, or the expansions, or maybe even later? who knows, not lone shark and not us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thirda wrote:
It's also in one of the KS updates that the staggered release was for retail, not backers, and that boxes 2 and 3 will go out to us together, not staggered. This I think is more guaranteed to be reliable - shipping them to us in a staggered way would be really expensive, in a way which staggering the release to distributors would not. I already wonder how much of a financial hit they're taking to ship us box 1 before boxes 2 & 3. Intercontinental direct-to-consumer shipping is really really expensive.

They should hopefully do non-intercontinental shipping for most backers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Third
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
Gàidheal Laidinneach
badge
Genii Cucullatii
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:

True. The general idea that companies want to avoid multiple shipments direct to consumers where they can still applies, though, especially if those customers are in multiple countries & continents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thirda wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

True. The general idea that companies want to avoid multiple shipments direct to consumers where they can still applies, though, especially if those customers are in multiple countries & continents.

Yes, it most definitely does , but to me it's very important that it's sent from within the EU or I'll be hit by 25% VAT and $23 customs fee per package.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Bosch
Netherlands
Rotterdam
ZH
flag msg tools
badge
In honour of the brave crew of Hr.Ms. Java 27-02-1942 † Battle of the Java Sea
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
thirda wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

Yes, it most definitely does , but to me it's very important that it's sent from within the EU or I'll be hit by 25% VAT and $23 customs fee per package.

They had a Europe friendly kickstarter so they have to bulk ship it to Europe before sending it to backers. With the stagerred release they will have to eat the extra costs for doing this twice. Don't know the current Brexit schedule but they'd better ship before there are import taxes between the UK and EU.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boshar wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
thirda wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

They had a Europe friendly kickstarter so they have to bulk ship it to Europe before sending it to backers. With the stagerred release they will have to eat the extra costs for doing this twice. Don't know the current Brexit schedule but they'd better ship before there are import taxes between the UK and EU.

Yeah, the EU-friendliness was what made me react to the comment about inter-continental shipping and wanted to be sure that I hadn't missed some info about the game no longer being EU-friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ellis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeadCowCult wrote:
Mike showed up on the afternoon portion of Dice Towers live stream of GAMA.

Important information released during that interview.

Apocrypha Second expansion set for end of this year.
Apocrypha Third expansion set for beginning of next year.

*it was stated the backers would get their copies first, but nothing more concrete than that*

Numerous people asked about backers rewards in the chat at the time, but none of those questions were addressed. In his defense they were really being pressed for time so not many questions were answered.

The Ninth World is set to be released before the end of this year.
They would like to get playable forms of Thornwatch done before Pax unplugged this year, but stated it would take everything falling into the right place before that could happen.

Here is the interview https://youtu.be/c-tDgvPt2Gw?t=2h52m22s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Third
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
Gàidheal Laidinneach
badge
Genii Cucullatii
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
boshar wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
thirda wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

Yeah, the EU-friendliness was what made me react to the comment about inter-continental shipping and wanted to be sure that I hadn't missed some info about the game no longer being EU-friendly.

No, just me being careless in my writing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Takai
Switzerland
Thun
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MavWeirdo wrote:

Thanks for the link. I didn't realize the box was so big. It looks fantastic. Can't wait to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me see if I can clear up some of the questions and misconceptions in this thread.

DeadCowCult wrote:
Well the last update was on the 23rd of last month, and since then radio silence.

We update once a month, usually in great depth. I've learned that as soon as the calendar turns to a new month, we immediately hear about how we haven't posted since the previous month. But we always try to keep you informed. In that vein, here's today's update.

stevelabny wrote:
For Apocrypha, we'll get a base box in a few months, and the rest of the stuff 3-12 months later. Splitting the stuff is unfortunate because Lone Shark doesn't have a good track record with remembering to finish their projects (Maze of Games Audio Puzzles, I'm looking at you). That said the latest images of the cards look amazing and the game might actually be good so whatever.

We're aiming for the expansions to hit about four months later for our Kickstarter backers. As far as I know, we always finish our projects. We sometimes don't get them done when people want us to (or when we want to), but we always finish them. The Maze of Games audiophonic conundrucopia is a rare exception. That project didn't come together as we hoped, but we're rebooting it soon now that The Theseus Guide to the Final Maze is out and construction has started on a related Maze of Games project stemming from that campaign.

Slashdoctor wrote:
Loan Shark Games tank is empty. They are living on money earned on projects undelivered. They have MULTIPLE undelivered Kickstarters and I will be honestly surprised if they won't announce bankruptcy soon. All the signs are there :/

We're doing just fine, thanks. Obviously, we would like to have all of our games out as soon as possible. But we're in no danger of going away any time soon.

Vryllyn wrote:
I'm just waiting for April, when it's a full year late to get told it's still at the printers and then another post about playtesting. Then probably see another Kickstarter by them for a new game.

I'll save you the trouble of waiting: It'll still be at the printer in April, because printing takes a while. We'll still be playtesting the two expansions in April. We have no Kickstarters on the docket.

piman wrote:
And another example of a "final layout" card that mysteriously has an error that they swear is fixed in the version sent to the printer.

Tough but fair. We have gone through a lot of trouble to make sure that doesn't happen, but with ten thousand text and number fields in the game, something is bound to get through.

DeadCowCult wrote:
Mike showed up on the afternoon portion of Dice Towers live stream of GAMA.Numerous people asked about backers rewards in the chat at the time, but none of those questions were addressed. In his defense they were really being pressed for time so not many questions were answered.

I did not see the questions in the chat. I would happily have answered them, but there were other companies who deserved the airtime.

DeadCowCult wrote:

This is idle speculation. We have a lot of copies of the game going into the hobby channel. We listen to distributors and retailers too. But no matter what, we will fulfill our Kickstarter orders first. I certainly did not convey otherwise in the interview.

calpurnio1973 wrote:
i'm waiting for the gameplay video. i hope the next update will show this video (the ks comments points out to this).

We just got playable cards in house last week. We'll get a gameplay video together in the next couple months.

thirda wrote:
It's also in one of the KS updates that the staggered release was for retail, not backers, and that boxes 2 and 3 will go out to us together, not staggered. This I think is more guaranteed to be reliable - shipping them to us in a staggered way would be really expensive, in a way which staggering the release to distributors would not. I already wonder how much of a financial hit they're taking to ship us box 1 before boxes 2 & 3.

A very big one. But it's the smart and right thing to do. We want people playing and talking about the game as soon as possible.

takai wrote:
It looks fantastic. Can't wait to play it.

I can't wait for all of you to play it. Thankfully, I won't have to wait much longer for that.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Childress
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just feeling the urge to finally give my two cents worth into the whole Apocrypha situation. I didn't manage to get in on the Kickstarter for Apocrypha cause honestly I am a KS newb and I never hear about games til after the KS has run its course. But once I saw the video with Mr Bear, I was hooked on the concept and I quickly pledged a sizable sum through the Pledgemanagr that they had for the game. (Speaking of which, I am not sure where we fall... I am assuming after KSers but before open retail?)

But I digress... Given the time that's passed, I have felt my excitement ebb and flow for the game. I have never backed anything before and like some of you it's left a sour taste in my mouth at times. I wish it hadn't taken this long to finally reach the printers. I wish I hadn't been craving this release for over a year now, and I know some of you have waited far longer than that. I wish that we had some concrete date in mind, some real sense of when this will finally be in our hands. And though the date is narrowing, it still feel so fluid and ephemeral that we really just have to sit and watch and wait.

And yet, I can honestly say my excitement has returned to a phenomenal level. Seeing the cards in their final state, getting these little teases of the Deathless, and the mission cards, and reading how one mission is designed, just one mission out of the 99 we have been promised... It's enough to get me once more saying 'Yes, I need this game NOW and I cant wait!' I know that when Apocrypha finally reaches my table, it's going to be a thrilling, fun filled, and I certainly expect harrowing campaign which will keep me and my fiance wrapped up for a very good long while. And I am ready for it. My enthusiasm is back in full force.

There is always good with the bad... I can see Mike and the Sharks really love this game and want to bring us the very best. Unfortunately, that's cause a series of delays that has grated on some, forced others to give up on them. I check their forums every day, and I see it. But they are trying to bring us the best that they can give us. And as someone who has run the gauntlet of emotion myself on this project, I only want to say to everyone that it's understandable how we have all felt. Just try to remember they are human, and yet they are trying to bring their labor of love to all of us, so let's just all try and cheer them on across the finish line. Cause it's finally in sight.

Let's all get ready to end the world!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.