Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DropMix

Hasbro with collab from Harmonix has announced a new DJ Dueling card game. It shockingly retails for 100$ (A bit much but we board gamers are used to that kinda price) I am not sure if I'm allowed to say this... But I was in the Alpha forr steam client of this but was under a place holder name. I played it like 50 hours but never heard back (might've missed an invite to a testing as I never use my yahoo email anymore...) but it was a lot of fun and watching the video the core concept from the game I played are in this video. I'm excited for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Smith
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$100 for that seems like insanity. I can't imagine this thing being a success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They seem pretty confident

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Smith
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say though it does look neat. I can't see myself every plunking down $100 for that but I hope it does well for them. Harmonix seems like they need a win since their last handful of projects haven't done too too well for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite enjoy the concept was beyond shocked to see it announced I'll buy it if I ever get a job...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'd play it. But I'd have to really love it before spending $100 on it.

Here's a link to a press release I found.

Some highlights from the press release:

Quote:

uses cutting-edge technology that empowers players to create unique mixes of songs by playing cards on a game board connected to a mobile app.

Quote:

The game consists of an electronic DROPMIX Board, DROPMIX Cards, and the DROPMIX app, which will be free to download on the App Store for iPhone and iPad and on Google Play for Android devices.

Quote:

When a DROPMIX card is placed on a Mix Slot, the electronic DROPMIX Board immediately starts playing the corresponding part of the song (bass, beat, loop or vocals) noted on the card. The board reads up to five DROPMIX Cards at time and the groundbreaking software in the app seamlessly combines the music within each card to create a unique mix. The DROPMIX cards include NFC chips; a technology commonly used in smartphones with digital wallets.

Quote:

includes an electronic DROPMIX Board and 60 DROPMIX Cards across multiple music genres

Quote:

In addition to the 60 DROPMIX Cards in the Music Gaming System, Hasbro will release Playlist Packs with 16 DROPMIX Cards for the suggested retail price of $14.99 and Discover Packs with five DROPMIX Cards for the suggested retail price of $4.99. The additional cards will be released on an ongoing basis throughout 2017 to allow players to collect and curate their own custom decks and create new and unexpected soundtracks each time they play. With 300 DROPMIX cards available in 2017

Edit: I couldn't find anything there that describes where the gameplay comes in. Can anyone describe the elements that make this a competitive experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
GoSteelers wrote:

FWIW, that MSRP will be higher than the price that Amazon et al will be charging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this before on Steam under a er... Place holder title.

You play cards every turn and create your own song with bits from TM songs and your opponent/s can use their own cards to 'destroy' yours and replace them. You can get more points by matching the places with cards (blue card to blue spot) First to 21 points wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Q.T. Nguyen
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
I couldn't find anything there that describes where the gameplay comes in. Can anyone describe the elements that make this a competitive experience?

These are the droids that you're looking for... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxOtkClPa0o

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
GoSteelers wrote:

I purchased this recently, it's a blast to play. Even just solo made making your own mixes is quite fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Crocker
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Weirdly, there is no BGG entry for Dropmix, so I checked pending submissions. There wasn't a pending submission, so I submitted one. Hopefully it will get approved, so that I can add Dropmix to my game collection and add it to my play tracking stats.

Once it's added to the database, I guess we can go in an add the Playlist Packs and Discover Packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:
I purchased this recently, it's a blast to play. Even just solo made making your own mixes is quite fun.

Yeah, I think it would be great for budding DJ's. The game requires you to have a tablet or smartphone, so it automagically prices itself out of cheaper demographics. OTOH, I dunno how dated it would be ten years from now to play with today's popular songs. Also, shouldn't there already be a console or app that lets you remix songs? Or does the $100 include $75 for music royalties??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
xpiredsodapop wrote:

Yeah, I think it would be great for budding DJ's. The game requires you to have a tablet or smartphone, so it automagically prices itself out of cheaper demographics. OTOH, I dunno how dated it would be ten years from now to play with today's popular songs. Also, shouldn't there already be a console or app that lets you remix songs? Or does the $100 include $75 for music royalties??

I want to use automagically more regularly now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've been playing it a bit now and just got one of the expansions in the mail today.

Versus mode is quite fun. I have some questions about the long term sustainability of this game too. If you read the fine print, the app will only be available for download until Dec. 31st, 2019.

So I guess I need to make sure I keep an old iDevice around with the app whenever that time comes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Lackey" Portney
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe every app that Hasbro releases has a generic boilerplate saying that there is no guarantee that support will persist beyond 2 years from release date. This is more for them to cover their own butts than any indication as to when support would actually end. If this is successful, you better believe they will extend the app's life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! I really hope it is. We love it and it's very easy to play. My only wish is that it had an AC adapter as well.

I've already ordered some of the available expansions so I hope to get them all soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Crocker
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree about the AC adapter. On one hand, it's nice for portability - One less thing to cart around and potentially lose. On the other hand, batteries are notorious about dying at the most inopportune times.

That said, has anyone actually killed a set of batteries in their Dropmix board yet? If so, about how long did they last? If anyone is of an electrical engineering inclination, it'd be neat to find out what the power draw is for the game while it's being played, what with the Bluetooth radio being active along with five NFC readers and assorted flashing lights.

As a side note - Does anyone know how Dropmix stores your collection information and saved mixes? I'm 90% sure that saved mixes are stored on your device, but I don't think Collection information is. I upgraded my phone this weekend, and I assumed I would have to re-enter my collection after I re-downloaded the Dropmix app. I did not restore from a backup, and only transferred contacts, pictures, and videos using AT&T's Mobile Transfer app. When I opened the saved mixes, none were present. If they are stored on the device, that makes sense. When I clicked to add to my collection, however, everything was already listed.

I had already paired my phone with the board, so I wondered if the collection was stored in the board. I don't think so, though, because when my wife paired her phone to the board, the collection was empty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Crocker
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/237087/dropmix

The BGG page for Dropmix is now live.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.