Subject: Thematic center space/corner markers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mack C
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
I want to make a boardless version of Tak for travel, and while I've seen the collector's coin and love the concept of it, I don't particularly like how it plays. However, having a center marker as well as one in each corner I very much enjoy.

I've been thinking I would love something that fits the theme. Coins, of course, would work, but I don't have any that would fit in the world of the books and I imagine if I found any, they would be expensive and heavy. Any other ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 2pence coin in the drawstring tak bag.

You could also get 5 wooden craft circles/squares at Michael's and stain them or something
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Morasse
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the cloth board for this exact reason. It's perfect with the tavern set! I'm going for a trip in a week and I look forward to give it a go
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mack C
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
wmreed wrote:
I have a 2pence coin in the drawstring tak bag.

You could also get 5 wooden craft circles/squares at Michael's and stain them or something

Good idea. My travel set (still in the works) will probably end up being squares, so fancying up some circle pieces could be nice.

Nuzferatu wrote:
I bought the cloth board for this exact reason. It's perfect with the tavern set! I'm going for a trip in a week and I look forward to give it a go

I love that there is a cloth board, but I really don't like the design for some reason. I also have a chessboard bandana I carry with me for Looney Pyramid games, but folding it so it's 5x5 makes for a lumpy surface and partitioning it off doesn't look all that great.

I went ahead and bought the collector coin as well as the companion book. I'm sure I'll find the history of Tak interesting. I also love the board on the back cover. I'm thinking now I can use the coin for the center piece, and now just need to find 4 others. Prehaps somehow keep it thematic. Perhaps the 4 pieces could represent the 4 corners of the world somehow? Or the 4 elements? Is there something from the books that may fit? It's been a bit since I read them. Maybe some of the runes used in magic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also print the PDF board on transfer paper and iron it on to any cloth big enough, creating your own cloth board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rebecca
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I want to believe. -- FOX MULDER
badge
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. --DANA SCULLY
mbmbmbmbmb
mackerous wrote:
I want to make a boardless version of Tak for travel, and while I've seen the collector's coin and love the concept of it, I don't particularly like how it plays. However, having a center marker as well as one in each corner I very much enjoy.

I've been thinking I would love something that fits the theme. Coins, of course, would work, but I don't have any that would fit in the world of the books and I imagine if I found any, they would be expensive and heavy. Any other ideas?

Poker chips (easily modified), pieces from Bottle Topps (an exceedingly useful thrift find), a vintage book cover cut to squares and edges taped with fabric book tape, any variety of spare cardboard hex bits from a parts copy of something, industrial felt cut to size. Just ideas. I tend to spin on this kind of thing for way too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mack C
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
toasterpastry wrote:
Just ideas.

Uh, just awesome ideas. Seriously, those are great. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rebecca
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I want to believe. -- FOX MULDER
badge
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. --DANA SCULLY
mbmbmbmbmb
mackerous wrote:
toasterpastry wrote:
Just ideas.

Uh, just awesome ideas. Seriously, those are great. Thanks!

I've been thinking I wanted to find carved capstones, which made me think you could find cool antler slices or buttons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a glass set, but I'm dissatisfied with the capstones.

I'd really like to find cheap glass figurines that could sit atop a stack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mack C
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Those are gorgeous, Bill. Were they from floor tiles, by chance? And you're right, the capstones don't really match. Once you find what you're looking for, you'll just need a glass board and you'll have the best looking set in Vintas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They were bagged at Michaels for glass mosaic crafting. I had to sand them all because they had sharp edges. But they are pretty. Maybe I can find pawns from a glass chess set at the discount store or at goodwill...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.