United Kingdom
Mirfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Played our first game last night and really enjoyed it, although I definitely think it needs multiple plays to understand the best way to play.

We came away with a question about the downgrade action. Do you always get a Low card no matter what you downgrade? So a Low, High or Final all go to Low? We burnt through the Low cards pretty quickly meaning the action was unavailable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dann May
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hi! Pleased to meet you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Peter, yeah you always downgrade to Low, and in doing that you can draw all the Low cards if enough people downgrade often enough.

Generally High cards have more bang for buck in terms of points for Matter spent, so downgrading is genuinely more of a safety valve for times when you get caught unable to complete a High card (or a Low card with Metal if Metal is very scarce) than it is a winning strategy. So the more you play you will probably find you downgrade less and less. Someone can always choose to push that mechanic for its own sake to eat up more Low cards, but it's not really a winning strategy.

Fun Fact: we're actually talking about adding in more Low Evolution cards as part of an expansion, so if we get there, then that will make Downgrading potential practically infinite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that the Low cards are primarily good for getting "presence" on a planet to make yourself eligible for Final cards. I keep one in hand into the late game if necessary for that purpose. Otherwise, High cards are the best way to beef up your score in the midgame especially. My wife has done a good job of winning with High cards more than Final
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Mirfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for answers. Probably playing again tonight so we shall see what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.